Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:18 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Beyond the usual maintenance—a top-notch tune (tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post), high on the list should be the HEI upgrade, but that small Carter YH carburetor and restrictive intake manifold setup (re that flow equaliser I mentioned above) sure aren't helping matters any. What to do about it, if anything, is another set of questions—like how much money, effort, and time are you willing to put into improving on it, and what (specific) results are you looking for?

You ought to nail down just what kind of camshaft is in this engine, and how it's installed (degreed); "possibly an RV cam" could be almost anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Clark Cortez 1964
That sounds like a good plan, I think I will pull that cam over the winter and take a look at what it is. Now regarding that restrictive flow, maybe taking that plate off of the top of the intake and removing the flow equalizer would be a good start. The way the motor runs right now, it’s got decent low end grunt but it runs out of breath very fast (up at around 3000 or 3200). There doesn’t seem to be any buildup of horsepower. Maybe it’s convinced it’s a diesel.

The HEI conversion looks like a good option as well and would make that left side of the motor that is time consuming to access in this rig less maintenance. On another note, I keep a cookie sheet under the front of the motor and noticed a little radiator fluid on top of the oil there. If so there might be a head gasket leak or just something up with the water pump connections. Hadn’t seen it before though. I had used the heat during the previous drive so maybe a heater core issue. Ain’t life with an old car grand?

Possibly an RV cam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:32 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Lucamajuke wrote:
maybe taking that plate off of the top of the intake and removing the flow equalizer would be a good start.
Probably wouldn't; it's there for a solid reason.
Quote:
The way the motor runs right now, it’s got decent low end grunt but it runs out of breath very fast (up at around 3000 or 3200).
This is what a small carburetor does…and you really do need to figure out just what you've got for a camshaft, and how it's degreed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:53 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Regarding specific results, it's an old rig with an unique
gearbox that's tough to replace. I live in the Green Mountains of Vermont and am surrounded by more mountains. I'm going to avoid any big passes and steer clear of the high peaks regions. But in attempting to get around these places I'll be going through foothills and would like to be able to climb these moderate hills without a whole lot of down shifting. So torque is what I'm after. A stout diesel would be nice but I like the idea of upgrading the original motor to meet my needs.

If I have to replace the intake and put in a down draft carb that's what I'll do. I was trying to avoid changing the engine cover but that's not the end of the world and might be the easiest way to make power. If there is an option to change to a larger side draft with some machining of the stock intake, I think I'd favor that. Any recommendations of side draft setups would be welcome.

The other thing that is a possibility would be to do some head work. When I did a compression test on this motor the results came in between 115 and 125. So I think the bottom end is solid. Chime in if I'm off base on that. If I'm changing out the intake, it might be a good time to take a look at the valves and put in a new head gasket. I'd take suggestions about other improvements that would work with the above intake options and the Dutra dual setup.

In the mean time is there a good way to id and index the cam without draining the radiator to access the timing cover?

Possibly an RV cam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:54 am 
1 BBL (New)

Been looking around a bit and beginning to think that adapting the intake to a two barrel setup in the side draft configuration would be an interesting way to go. It keeps the sheet metal covering the engine intact, uses the original intake and allows for different cfm setups, so I could tinker.

I was reading about weber carbs this morning and the author pointed out that Webers are perfect for dialing in each cylinder. A single barrel for each cylinder, each with its own adjustment. No plenum. Obviously my solution would keep the plenum. The question is, would a Weber be a good idea even if it was running into a plenum? Given that you can change the Venturi size and have the option for different jetting, the Weber seems like a good overall carb.

Is there some reason why this wouldn’t work?

Possibly an RV cam