Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Ford 2 barrel?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:13 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1973 Plymouth Scamp
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373752601856

1973 Scamp with stock /6 225. Was looking at this carb and wondered if anyone has used one of these on the Offenhauser 4v intake? I have a new intake and looking to see what would be the best fit for my 225. It says this is rated at 300cfm which would be a little smaller than the Holley and my motor is stock except for the HEI conversion and rewiring of the charging system. Just thot I would ask for input. Thanks everyone.

Post subject: Re: Ford 2 barrel?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:48 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There have been reports of good luck with Chinese carburetors. From what I have seen inside them, I would not trust my life or property to one—which is what we're talking about, since a carburetor is a pail of gasoline perched atop a hot motor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:06 pm 
1 BBL (New)

With that being said SlantSixDan, what would you suggest as the best options for a good fuel system? I've had some suggest a BBD Carter, others a Holley, (which I don't care for personally) and others. Just trying to make a well informed decision without breaking the bank. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
If you can find a good BBD, those run very well on Slants, even if you have modified the engine a fair bit. They are getting pretty hard to find... I have run them on an Offy 4V with the Transdapt (or Mr. Gasket) adapter plate and they work very well. You may have to fabricate a kickdown linkage (add a Lokar cable) to get that to work properly, or modify the stock KD linkages to work with the Offy 4V. The Holley 350 can also work well, but I have only tried one and I think that particular unit was junk. You will gain something like 5-10 HP with a BBD on a 2bbl or 4bbl manifold vs. a 1bbl stock carb.

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I got lucky a couple of years ago (right here in this website) a guy had a butt load of NOS (NOT Chinese) BBDs and I bought 2. They both worked out great on 2 different /6s. I wouldn't take a Chinese carb even if for free. I've experimented with a couple on garden tractors and that's as enough "Chinese carburetor" for me NO THANKS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:26 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
A big red flag is how the listing shows it "fits" several years of Fords, some Jeeps and a handful of different engines. They can't all possibly be the same.

I've seen lots of fake Chinese carburetors in the motorcycle world. The jets usually don't even have size numbers on them and often jets have different threads so you can't even put known jetting components into them.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'll bet it will be less work finding a real carburetor, rebuilding it properly and setting it up with known tuning components.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:00 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
ProCycle wrote:
A big red flag is how the listing shows it "fits" several years of Fords, some Jeeps and a handful of different engines. They can't all possibly be the same.

Not really, Ford made about 10 different versions of the Autolite 2100 and ran them on everything from 4 cylinders to the 460 v8. AMC used them on their engines as well. A suggested setup would be for a '72 Jeep with a 304 v8. This should have a 1.08 stamped on the float bowel, #48 jets and a 3 position power value.

Feedback on the Chinese versions are that they work well and use standard replacement parts for the original Autolite versions. These things are also being sold on Amazon, where you can leave feedback.

They appear to be a mix of the 2100 and 2150 versions of the carburetor with AMC linkage and vacuum ports.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:35 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thank you for the input everyone! I have found a few BBD carbs online that Supposedly are made in USA, new. I'll look that direction and see what I can do from there. Great information here to work with. Modifying the linkages and fabing brackets is not an issue in my shop. Just wanting to do this once instead of tinkering with it all the time. I'm getting older and enjoy driving my cars more that working on them!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Moffetkustoms wrote:
With that being said SlantSixDan, what would you suggest as the best options for a good fuel system?
Oops, sorry for the late reply. A good carburetor is central. When we talk about the various carburetor brands and models we're choosing cuts of steak or varieties of tangerine (I am overdue to go eat). There are relative merits all day long of this Holley versus that Carter versus this Stromberg, but those only matter if you have the luxurious choice of all three in equally perfect condition; at this late date the best carburetor to pick, after narrowing down to those appropriately calibrated and configured (or readily adaptable) for use on a Slant-6, is the one in the best condition, and that is the new (not "remanufactured", but new) one. There are many, many different BBDs, so proceed carefully if you're headed in that direction. Some of them will be a dead-end in terms of working well on a Slant-6. I still have a couple of the very good new Bendix Stromberg WW carbs (original '66-'67 273-318 carburetors) like I ran on my '62 and my '65 225 cars; ping me if/as/when.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:44 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 W100; 72 Dart
kesteb wrote:

Not really, Ford made about 10 different versions of the Autolite 2100 and ran them on everything from 4 cylinders to the 460 v8. AMC used them on their engines as well. A suggested setup would be for a '72 Jeep with a 304 v8. This should have a 1.08 stamped on the float bowel, #48 jets and a 3 position power value.

Feedback on the Chinese versions are that they work well and use standard replacement parts for the original Autolite versions. These things are also being sold on Amazon, where you can leave feedback.

They appear to be a mix of the 2100 and 2150 versions of the carburetor with AMC linkage and vacuum ports.

I have used several of these Motorcraft clones over the years. Most recently:

1977 Jeep CJ 5 (258 3 speed standard)
1990 Chevy 1/2 (305 7004r) (electric fuel pump)
1986 Ford F150 4x4 (351W NP435)
1965 Plymouth Barracuda (225 904) - ran high 14s with 4.10 gears in the 1/4

These were all running well with these carburetors when sold, and the 1/2 ton Chevy has been going strong for over a year and many 1000s of miles.

Running one right now on my 1974 W100 (318)...superior in every way to the Carter I took off.

Probably choose one for the next carb I need, which will be on a 225 in my Dodge Dart.

YMMV, but that has been my experience with them.

sb