Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: BBS accelerator pumps...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:33 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1971 Dart Swinger
Hey all... started with a Holley 1920 on my 71 Dart. Ran OK but had a vacuum leak around the throttle shaft. I bought another Holley 1920 which I then rebuilt myself. It ran great for months, then developed a vacuum leak around the throttle shaft.

I then decided to try a Carter BBS and got a NOS rebuilt carb off eBay. It ran good but the accelerator pump didn't work. Pulled it apart and the leather gasket/cup was all shrunk and stiff. I got a rebuild kit and went through the carb. Ran great for a couple days then started having accelerator pump troubles. Pulled it apart and... the leather gasket/cup was all shrunk and stiff. Got another rebuild kit. Did it again. Same thing. So far these have all been the pink colored leather cup. I see a brown one on eBay... is there a quality/application difference?

What am I doing wrong? This car is a joy to drive when it's running right but the persistent accelerator pump failure on the Carter is killing me. For what I've sunk into carbs and rebuild kits I could've bought a super six manifold and a two barrel carb...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:06 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Have you been oil-soaking and flaring the leather cup (and flaring it enough) before installing it?

Leather colour doesn't matter; quality does. It is essentially impossible to get a good quality carb kit through usual parts stores any more; go shop at www.thecarburetorshop.com . Prepare to spend more money than at a parts store.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:20 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1971 Dart Swinger
SlantSixDan wrote:
Have you been oil-soaking and flaring the leather cup (and flaring it enough) before installing it?

Leather colour doesn't matter; quality does. It is essentially impossible to get a good quality carb kit through usual parts stores any more; go shop at http://www.thecarburetorshop.com . Prepare to spend more money than at a parts store.

I have been soaking the cup and "flaring" the cup but not sure I'm doing it right.

I was looking at Mike's (where I bought my electric choke) and they have an accelerator pump plunger that looks exactly the same as what I've been getting in the kits from AutoZone for almost what I've been paying for the full kit. I'll check out the Carburetor Shop next time the stars align for someone to be available to answer the telephone there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325397874238?h ... BMuNSdw6Bi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Does this look right; carter book from 1977 902-202a dart ,valiant 1960 -1969, dodge plymouth 1960-1968, dodge truck 1961-1968 lancer61-62 and industrial 62,61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Looks like 1969 and back pump plunger assembly carter part number 64-226s. Starting 1970 64-226s and part no 64-403s some ecs carbs evaporation control. Different kit number 902-277a Zip kit