Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:16 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would let ya'll know what I am running way over here in Oz ! The car has been around with this setup for a couple of years but am happy with results considering this was a "very" budget minded buildup.

I am about to pull this motor in the next couple of months as I am in the process of building a new long-rod turbo Slant..... I can't wait to let that 225 rev a little more freely. Those of you have done the long-rod thing.... is it worth the wait ?

Anyway, the bottom end of my old girl is fairly standard, only major mod was a set of low compression dished "cast" truck pistons in a 40' oversize. The head is ported and runs oversized valves..... while on this topic, what is the largest valve sizes fitted in a Slant 6 and availability of such valves if required ? .... A modified standard exhaust manifold send the spent exhaust gases to the puffer. I am using a T04 hybrid using an RX7S5 exhaust housing adn V trim wheel. The injection setup is a triple SU intake using 3 x RB25 throttle bodies, hi-flow late bodies injectors and Microtech computer. I retain the electronic Mopar distributor which is locked-out with no mech or vac advance at all, but I have an ignition exciter that enables the computer to control ignition timing.

I also use a custom water-air intercooler that is absolutely awesome...best money I ever spent. My last chassis dyno run gave me 272rwhp @ 22lbs boost. I run this setup on the street now. I find it a littel docile off-boost but am putting it down to the lack of air velocity at low rpm due to the triple throttle body setup as they are 55mm each and in hindesight just too much cfm for this engine at lower rpm. With the new motor I will be removing this intake setup and building a plenum with one single 70mm throttle body. I am looking at much better off-boost driving results.

I used to run this setup with a manual transmission but have now got a tricked up 904 behind it...I have had all sorts of troubles with convertors....tearing one quality stator in two !! This thing makes more torque than I know what to do with...although i do not know the actaul torque rating but I do know that we recently had a club dyno day with over 30 cars attending. The chassis dynno reads "tractive effort" which although cannot be an exact determiation of torque can provide a clear idea of differnces in torque compared to other cars. My highest reading of tractive effort was 2650 my lowest was @ peak power was 1650, the closest car on the day made a highest tractive effort reading of 1100 .... my lowest point of TE was well over all the others highest..... obviously that is why the old 225 turns the wheels so easy for one of my favourite pastimes...BURNOUTS. The pics show a couple of my recent competition attempts, making the Mopar fans proud !

On the track, my best run is a 13.567 @ 105mph although my 60foot is 2.565 .... I just cannot get out of the hole. The convertor is working better for me but it is now coming down to a fine line between spinning the wheels while staging or not leaving with enough boost up. Again, needs a little refinement but i am getting there.

Anyway, i hope you like my ride and would be keen for your feedback.

Ray.
www.moparmarket.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
RIGHTEOUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
You Da Man! NASA couldn't have done a cleaner, more high-tech job... 8)

D/W

P. S. - Are you in Australier or GREECE? Reason I ask, some of the parts and pieces you cited were greek to me! :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Excellent work! It's good to see you posting here. Come back often!
Bob D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Ray, at 105 you should be well into the 12's. :D

My experience with the long rod has been that it is incredibly resistant to detonation. That could be handy with a hair dryer. :shock:

Post subject: AUZ valves
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:36 am 
nice burnouts, with the valves i used a stock intake 1.62 and cut it to a 1.60 and used it for exhuast and a 1.88 360 intake i cut it to 1.80 and used it for the intake i also had to shorten the intake .150 but not the exhuast, with the 1.60 ex i had to knoch the top of the bore.this engine is a .060 over double springs shifted at 6500 and 6800 over the line. 12.30 et at 109mph

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:16 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for your input....those valve mods are good to know.

Can you devulge anymore details on your setup .... those times are impressive... I would like to know more.

Post subject: Auze Burnout King
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:14 pm 
HELLO again, this engine is .060 over 11.4 comp stock pistion with .024 gap top ring ,.018 on second ring. the block is milled .140 on the deck and .080 on the head the cam is 255@ .050 with .540 lift int and ex,108 center and degreed at 109.the carb is a 750 double with 2 1/2 in spacer on offey manifold and 1 3/4 by 36 in header. 904 trans with 3900 stall and low gear set, 8 3/4 with 4.88 ratio and 30 by 9in slick. my car is 76 duster full mild steel chassis,weight of 2500lbs with me in it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:41 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
holy crap thats freakin sweet :o :lol: :lol: :shock:

Post subject: SHY-225 << UPDATE >>
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:31 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hi all....

I havent been around here for a while, so a brief update on what's new with SHY-225 is in order.

A couple of changes have been made since my last visit here, namely a new front mount air-air intercooler in replacement of my water-air one. It has made a noticeable difference as the best dyno run with the water-air cooler was 355rwhp @ 6500rpm (and still climbing....starting to lean out). It pulls like a train up top, the increased rod-ratio certainly lets it rev more freely and it is much happier there. This was done a couple of months ago....

I recently put the old tractor motor (:)) on the Dyno again for a local club "dyno-day". I discovered some fuel pump issues which were found a little too late and ended in a blown head-gasket (thankfully) although it made 365rwhp @ 5500rpm....with the new intercooler now, obviously already making more power @ lower rpm.

I have now rectified the head gasket and am chasing an ominous "backfiring" that has started and have yet to diagnose... more to come soon.

--Ray--