Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1809 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6121 Next
 Post subject: My CAr!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I told Ryan if we post a few picture they will know that I really do have a car! :D

As Ryan said , the frame connectors are in and my plans for tomorrow are to clean the surface rust off the inside of the roof and get that painted. Then I want to weld in my crossbraces behind the rear seat and install the aluminum wall to seal off the trunk area.

Rick

Slow and steady wins the race, but fast and erratic is a lot more fun! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Rick and Ryan,

That looks great! Thanks for posting pics. I especially like the wheel tubs - nice efficient use of pipe.

We will hold you to a 2011 debut, boyz. Should be no problem. Let me know how I can help.

Lou

Post subject: Progress report
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 pm 

The cross bracing behind the seat has been relocated and welded in place. They had to be changed slightly to fit around my homemade wheel tubs. (the tubs actually are very rigid and work well) I installed the aluminum to seal off the trunk area from the gas tank which is now mounted in the spare tire well. I fixed a couple dents in the roof and have a few more to fix this week.

As you know I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago today and I got along amazingly well. I have one more week off then back to the old grind on light duty. Since I can stand and sand off paint that is probably what I will tackle next.

Rick

Oh yeah, I forgot. I sent my camshaft out to Oregon Cams to be reground. I have the matching oil pump gear to run with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm 

Car Model:
What cam specs did you give them?? Enquiring slanted minds...

Lou

Post subject: Cams Specs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 am 

Lou
I went with the duration numbers and LSA you gave me and just a bit higher lift.

Intake 250 @ .050, Lift .508
Exhaust 243 @ .050, Lift .494
LSA 105

Rick

Post subject: CAmshaft specs revised
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm 

Got a call from Oregon today and the camshaft will be the same as mentioned above except that the lift will be .513 intake and .506 Exhaust. I'll let you know how this one runs.

Rick

Post subject: Fuel line
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 pm 

I had access to some coated stainless steel 3/8 tubing, so I ran that from the engine compartment back to the new gas tank. It is a little heavier than aluminum would be but it was also free. I have the fittings coming from Summit to hook up to my fuel cell and to block off the one return line fitting in the top which I won't need. My friend who is a real welder, stopped by and made all the final welds on my frame connectors. They were all welded in place but he made them look pretty :D and strong.

I also ran the new rear brake line back from the proportioning valve to the rear end, as well as out to both wheel cylinders. Now once I get a M/C push rod I can actually bleed the brakes and get them working.

I repaired about six small dents in the roof area out along the edges. Not sure where they came from but they are gone now.

I removed the dash completely so it will be easier to paint around (and clean up) the windshield frame area.

I have a set of Dodge neon seats that are about 1/2 the weight of the factory bucket seats. I will get some aluminum and make some brackets to bolt to the floor and bolt at least the drivers side in place.

Probably in about 2 weeks I want to have all 4 of my Boys come over and do a super duper paint stripping party. With 4 of us it should not take us long to get the shell stripped clean. Then I can fix a couple more areas that need attention. Then my buddy said we can haul it up to his shop and at least get it in a good coat of primer before winter. Then it is on to the doors, hood and trunk which are already off of the car.

Thanks for listening,

Rick

PS. Anyone have a set of old leaf springs they are going to junk? I'd like to get the second spring off a set and add a 5th spring to my set. Drop me me a PM.

Post subject: Christmas in September!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:59 pm 

Don't you like getting packages at your house from Summit, Jegs, Oregon cams....etc? I sure do, even though I already know what is in them. My new, old, reground cam was laying on the table when I got home. $86.50 including shipping. Nice people to work with and good turn-a-round time.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:16 pm 

Car Model:
Great progress, Rick! You should be in good shape for Hagerstown (and OTHER races) in 2011.

Lou

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 am 

Just wanted to let everyone know that Project Teal Terror can now officially stop on its own. That won't be that big of a deal yet because it doesn't run!! I made a swap with Charlie S for a A/C pulley he needed for the M/C push rod I needed. Got everything mounted and bled the whole system. It took a while to get fluid everywhere it was supposed to be, but It has a good pedal now. One other thing I mentioned before somewhere on here was that the brake hose between the rear end and the body seemed just a tad to short to me. It may have been OK but I didn't like it. So I got out mt big pry bar and put the pressure on it to move the bracket back and down just a little. It looks much better now. I'm guessing that maybe the Competition Engineering drag shocks are an 1" or so longer than stock and maybe that is why it seems a little shorter than I liked. More pictures to fiollow.

Rick

PS I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap ratchet shifter. If anyone has a decent used one laying around for a 904 let me know.

Post subject: Primer shell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:05 pm 

I feel much better now! The Valiant is now in primer! :D At least the main shell. I have been stripping it bare for a while and every nick, crack and cranny was stripped to bare metal. Boy that is a lot of work! My painter friend came to my house and picked up the car on Wednesday afternoon and took it to his shop. On Thursday morning we jumped on it and began taping it up and getting it ready to primer. after fixing a couple tiny spots I had missed in the body work he fired up the paint gun and went to town. By noon we were done for the day. We left it set till the morning and then came back and re-taped off the inside panels along the window frame and door frame and primered them. I was a little worried about my left side quarter panel since I did the body work on it and it had some waves here and there along with some assorted dings. But as soon as he sprayed the primer on he said it looked fine and I felt pretty good. I know that if Robbie says it looks good that it will be much better than I would have ever hoped for. The hood was also painted and now I will move on to the Doors and trunk lid.
I did take plenty of pictures and will post a few in a day or two. I opened a photobucket account but I'm still not sure how to post them. (Yes Greg you showed once already! I know, but I'm old! :D ) So when Ryan gets the time I'll have him help me and you can see the progress too. Thanks for listening!

Rick Covalt

In the booth

Leaving for home

Fuel tank mounted

Aluminum wall mounted and seams sealed

8 3/4rear, drag shocks and shiny underneath!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Looking Good Rick!

Ready to be breathing some fire with that car for Mason Dixon 2011!!

I cant wait to see it run!

Covalts X4 this year! 2 SLLOOOOOW TRUCKS:D , ONE DART,:evil: ONE VALIANT 8)

Greg

Last edited by Greg Ondayko on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
:D :D :D

Post subject: Seat bracket
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 am 

I had a set of free Dodge Neon seats. So I had a local aluminum shop bend me some pieces and made up a set of brackets. I wanted them to bolt to the original seat holes so they were not so flimsy. The seat will set on top of the 1 1/2 cross bar with bolts front to back. I am 6' 2" so I made them with 3" of adjustment front to back in addition to the tracks.

Still a lot of work to do to even be close to bringing it to Mason Dixon. I just rebuilt the door hinges and now I am going to get the doors stripped and ready for some paint. Then the Trunk lid, then, then, ...etc, I am keeping at it!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:24 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Cool,

Hey you bringing that thing to Mason-Dixon 2011?

Greg

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1809 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6121 Next