Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I have a Dutra modified pump that I will put back into this engine with a good used gear. It has the extra spray tube and hopefully the cam gear is Ok for a while. Since the oil pump is easy enough to remove, I'll likely only run it for 6 months or a year (2-4000 miles for me) and pull the pump and look at it again. More to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:39 am 

From the oil pump thread

Quote:
I ran the engine again until good and warmed up and then removed the Doug's pump with the stock gear. Total time on the pump / gear (13T) was about an 1hr and 15 minutes.

Pulled he pump and the gear looked pretty good to me. Very minimal wear that I could see. I will post pictures later today.

I installed my old "Dutra" spray tube modified oil pump with a good used gear and started it up. I have been running it for about 2 hours now. I decided that maybe since the gear on the cam may have sustained some wear, I would run the engine at @ 800 rpm for a couple hours to let the two gears wear gently together. I have no idea if that is a good idea or not? But, I figured it would be better than loading the gears heavily right off the bat. I am heading out to take it for a road trip and them I may stick in the 3.55's. They just feel so much more "peppy" !! :D :D

I just ran the truck for 2.5 hrs and then went for a nice drive, and filled up with gas. I didn't have any major issues at all. Maybe one small oil leak. Engine ran really well and should be better with the 3.55's and the 600 carb! :D :D

Out to the garage I go! :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
got an engine build question for you/
Im getting closer to gettin my slant together for my truck. I have heard both ways on the answer to this question/
I plan to run the same 819 cam as you. my core is in transit to Oregon.
I am also doing a head shave to up the CR at least to the "advertised" number of 8.4 maybe a couple of tenths higher/ but not wanting higher than 9:1 static (cuz I don't want to "have to" buy premium gas) I am also trying to buy a set of the SI O/S valves as we speak. I dunno if any of this info means anything towards the answer, buuut/////
Here we go.... Did you have to shave the tops of your valve guides for the amount of lift, that a #819 cam provides?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:10 am 

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer. I always have the guides cut down so I can run at least a .525 lift cam. But with only @.440 lift I can't imagine you would have any problems. If the head is in there for oversized valve I would have them knock them down a bit. But that is just me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1975 Dodge D100
If it helps, I’m running the 819 profile on the exhaust side on my camshaft (818 intake) with a stock, unaltered head with no issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:02 pm 
Supercharged

Ill have to go there and look at the 818 again, I was looking at that site yesterday. as I remember (though I can't see it while on this screen) there wasn't much difference between 818 and 819...
I will say that there is no organization in "grind numbers" on that chart.... the grind numbers column are all over the place.
I have my stock cam packaged up and ready to send off, I tried to get it out yesterday but I got to the PO just after closing.
would there really be much difference between the 818 and 819 on either intake or exhaust, that I would notice had I gone the "other" way?
as of right now I left a note in with the cam to make me an 819, I didn't specify anything different intake vs exhaust.
did you notice a difference with that cam vs stock as to how the engine runs?

looking at cam numbers just makes my head spin/ but the duration shown for that cam did seem puny.... I looked at a listing for stock Melling cam at Rock Auto (they show out of stock) and from what I saw there, their "stock cam" is different from what the factory specs for a 78 show in the factory Dodge service manual, (that is the year of manual that I happen to have sitting on the desk next to computer, that the cat keeps knocking on the floor) the lift matches, but Melling's duration shows bigger. Bigger than both stock and bigger than the 819. but with stock lift.... is this some sort of "cheater" cam?
I decided on 819 because it seems like alot of truck people here and on other sites seem to key on that particular one.... seems like alot of people have good luck from that cam.

another question// do they reapply any sort of surface hardening on cams (such as nitride, tuftride, cryo treatment, etc) after they regrind them? I'm a bit worried about wiping out a lobe, seems a big problem with flat tappets these days upon cam break in even if that costs a bit more it might be worth it.

I asked them how much for a set of the OS, SI valves, they are a dealer for them. Hughes blew me outta the water. I tried direct from SI, but was told they cannot do that anymore, something about getting in tax trouble over that, that I had to go thru a SI dealer. If Oregon cams is the same or less than Hughes, I'll go ahead and get the valves there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:21 am 

The Oregon cam chart is in order by size, duration at .050 lift.

The 818 is 7 degrees less duration than the 819. Will it be noticeable? Probably a little. Neither cam is large in my opinion. I only went with the 819 because people smarter than me, told me that @ 220 duration was about as much as you would want to go with and still use a stock convertor with an automatic. If I had a manual transmission I would have gone larger for sure.

I had no special treatments done on any of the cams I have had done by them. I have never heard of a problem with any regrinds as far as lobes go. And we are running large cams and heavy springs for racing. You are talking not that much above a stock cam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm 
Supercharged

Ok my cam is in the mail. I called oregon cams to give them a heads up that I'm sending this one in, and to ask about surface treatment when they finish the grind.
I was told that they "parkerize" them just like the factory did.
I've heard that term before, and tried to look it up on Google, but most of the hits talked about using it in place of bluing in the gun making world which does nothing to help tell me how that process. might help protect the cam lobes from self destruction, as I'm guessing they will have to grind thru the factory hardness layer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Oregon Cam Grinding will not grind through the hardening of the cam. Ken has delivered thousands of cams and knows what he's doing. I called him about a regrind for my Corvette and he told me the original GM cores aren't very good and that if I were to run much more than 100 lbs of seat pressure on the springs I'd be taking my own chances. He doesn't know all that much about our small bore, long stroke 225 with a high percentage of exhaust flow, but he knows camshafts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Parkerizing is more of a rust preventive than wear resistance isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:50 pm 

Andrew Shank and I pulled the oil pump out of my truck this evening. This is the camshaft that was brand new that we ran the prototype 13 tooth oil pump gear on for Doug as a test. The gear was worn badly after just a couple hours running and that pump and gear was pulled and replaced with a good Dutra pump with a spray nozzle and good used gear. I had no idea what damage was done to the cam so after about 1100 miles we pulled it again to check. I'm happy to say that the oil pump gear looked really good. No signs of any premature wear, so we should be good to drive it to London next week. :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 pm 

Truck made its voyage to the last race of the year with Ryan driving and my Granddaughter Adelynn in the passenger seat! Truck ran fine without any problems so that is great! :D Clicked off some low 19 second times thanks to some nice 2.76 gears for the trip! :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18