Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Covalt - 85 D100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I figure I will go ahead a document the progress on my Street / Race / Tow truck. It is a street truck but may see more race time than my car this year. Here is a photo of the truck when I bought it.

It was a real nice truck and ran super nice with the new motor in it until a lady turned in front on my son and it ended up like this.

I pulled the rest of the front end off and took it to the frame shop and he has everything straightened back to specs. Here is how it sets today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:24 pm 

The Plan!

I want the truck to be my primary tow vehicle for my race car at least for short tows of 100 miles or less. Depending how it runs we shall see about longer tows. ( I'm not near the optimistic man Charlie Schmid is when it comes to towing)

The motor which I just installed a few weeks before the accident ran very well. But I know it can run / tow even better. So while the whole front is off the truck, the cylinder head gets to go to the shop and get at least a .060 cut. The timing cover is coming off and the stock cam is getting replace with an Oregon re-grind # 819 that is about .440 lift and 220 @ .050. Also going in is a Dutra modified oil pump to keep some extra oil on the gear. The Weiand 4 barrel intake and Edelbrock carb goes on along with a new / modified Super Comp header.

Next, the transmission gets swapped out with the Charles Brooks unit that I got that has the V-8 internals. That should give me a little more durability all the way around.

Then I have an 8 3/4 rear to put out back. The current 3.21 gears are Ok but the 3.55 sure grip will help with towing and getting down the drag strip a little faster. The 3.55 will also allow me to drive the truck long distance without a lot of RPM's. I might not cruise at 70 MPH but that is Ok with me. This truck only sees 3-4000 miles a year. The rear end will get the 11 X 3" brakes that are currently on my race car and I will put the 10 X 2 1/2" ?? ones off of the truck onto my car

If my memory serves me correct the truck has run 18.70 in the 1/4 which is not really hateful to start with, in my opinion. I am thinking that with the bigger cam, higher CR, headers, 4 barrel and a lower rear gear, I should be able to knock off a full second in the quarter. Plus I should be able to tow with a lot more confidence and may even be able to do some longer towing with it.

More to come soon!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:09 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds like a great plan, Rick. Someday I hope to join again with a tow vehicle that can also be raced...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 am 

I dropped off some stuff at the sandblaster this morning (new front strut cross member) and an oil pan. The new cross member will go in with all the new suspension stuff later on.

I cut off the head pipe from the new exhaust sytsem I had installed in the spring and did a test fit of the new header and Weiand manifold. It all looks good. I will swap to a cable operated kick down and get rid of the rod assembly for a bit more room.

When I had the new exhaust put on I had them run about 3 feet straight back from the head pipe. That way now all that is needed to hook up the header is a collector from 3" down to my 2 1/2" exhaust and a short piece of pipe. Since it is a straight shot it probably won't even need to go to the pipe shop.

This afternoon the head comes off and goes top the machine shop.

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:58 am 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm 

I got the head off and disassembled, and dropped it off to the machine shop. I will have the head planed .060 to get the Static CR up to 9.1, Dynamic will be 8.4 with my cam.

I also had a full set of Engine builder valves and springs, so I told him just to go ahead and install the bigger valves while it is in there. No use to hold back I guess! :lol:

I pulled the front cover and found a very loose chain and plastic gear. Oops! I forgot about the timing chain / gear. Good! I have a new chain. Bad! I don't have a gear! Wanna guess how many cast iron gears I have thrown away? So I ordered the new gear from Rock auto and it is on it's way.

Tomorrow I will remove the old oil pump, and install the new camshaft and new oil pump. Boy it is so easy to work on a truck without the front end on! :lol: :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:50 am 

Car Model:
Great progress, Rick! Thinkin' about next season...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:51 am 

Yes things are moving along! I sure hope to have it ready to go for this season. Maybe not re-painted but everything else. Plus I have to get the "R" title thing worked out after it is all back together. I could have a 3 car race team myself! Mason Dixon's Mopar meet would be a great place to sell my 35,000 mile 86 truck if it is not gone by then.

Got the old oil pump and cam out. Good news , both the oil pump gear and the cam look very good. I will keep them as a matched set for a re-grind. New cam is in and a Dutra modified pump is back in place.

Since the truck took such a hard hit, I just decided to replace all the steering stuff. All new tie rod ends, sleeves and idler arm, power steering box, as well as all new ball joints. All that new stuff has been painted and is ready to install.

Stay tuned! :lol:

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:15 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Nice. What Brand of headers are those?

THey look different to me.

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

Yeah, They are Hooker Super Comp truck headers (discontinued I think) They actually had 6 into 1 - 2" outlet that lined up with the factory exhaust pipe. That was a real restricted looking set-up for sure. Anyway, I took off the 2" outlet and had a 3" mandrel 90 welded to the header aimed back with a 3" header flange on the outlet. Hope they work well.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:30 pm 

I picked up some of my parts for the truck that were at the sandblaster, and I got the P/S upper control arm off and the bushings pushed out. I began the cleaning / priming / painting of all the parts that will make it look like new when it's done. It is a time consuming and messy job but it is worth it when your finished.

I received some more boxes of parts from Rock Auto that includes new KYB heavy duty shocks and all new brake hoses and hardware for up front. I also got the cam gear that I needed and as soon as the head is done I will go ahead and install the head on the engine and degree the cam.

I make a little progress each day! Slow and steady.... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:49 pm 

Here is the before and after work on the suspension. It is a dirty job to clean off 30 years worth of rust and grime, but I actually felt good tonight getting one side finished up. New everything. I should have my Cunifer brake line Thursday and I will run new hard lines while I have the front end off. New front rotors are 4 1/2" car pattern and will get the new Pro Stars I have setting in the corner. That will match the 8 3/4 truck rear pattern.

Stopped by the machine shop and the cylinder head should be done on Thursday! :lol: :lol:

Before

And after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:47 pm 

The new Fed-Hill Cunifer brake line and fittings arrived today. I went out to the garage and bent new front lines and never had to use a bender at all! If you ever had any doubts about how nice this stuff is to work with, you can set them aside. It works great! :lol: I got the 25' roll and that should be enough to replace everything on the truck.

I did reroute the P/S brake line a little over by the header. I noticed when I trial fit the header that it was going to be very close to the down tubes. So moved the routing so that it stays on top of the main cross member for a few inches and that should give it plenty of clearance.

Drivers side upper control arm and spindle is off and ready to be cleaned and have new bushing / ball joints installed. Anyone that likes to run a wire wheel come on over!! :lol: :lol:

Rick

Post subject: Brake pads?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 pm 

I would like some recommendations on brake pads for the front. Rock auto has everything from semi metallic - carbon fiber and ceramic. I will be towing the race car with this truck and I will have big brakes on the back as well. The truck only sees 3-5000 miles per year.

Thanks!
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I avoid metallic pads. I have yet to get a set that don't squeak. Now I always try and get the ceramic pads.