Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:53 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I am sure you are right, John, that Endurotec has no knowledge of the performance of their old gasket. Definitely sloppy to use the same part number.

Thanks for the eyeball measurement, Jeff. Precision Int'l verified the new gasket is only 3.5" bore.

I asked Precision if they could inquire to Endurotec about making a run of the old gaskets.

Maybe someone else wants to contact Aussiespeed and get them to make a similar request?

Thanks for your efforts and ideas, everyone!

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:36 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Not2slow wrote:

I did open the black gasket and lay it on a 0.045 overbore block I have (running the Wiseco Pistons) and it will not work. It seems to be very good quality, just too small of a bore.

Wow, that is even smaller then the OEM gasket or the felpro. Those will work with a .060 over bore

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:46 am 
3 Deuce Webber

Car Model: SDRA Dragster
Here are the measurement with calipers.
I think I will try the black gasket on my 0.045 overbore block again. I know I have some misalignment issues with the pins so that may be the issue on that block. I was trying the stock FelPro gasket and realized something was off because it didn't fit either.

I've got three builds going right now so you know...

Attachments:
IMG_7041-2.jpg
IMG_7041-2.jpg [ 229.38 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
IMG_7042-2.jpg
IMG_7042-2.jpg [ 216.88 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am 
3 Deuce Webber

I don't want to get something started that I can't finish, but in my day job I occasionally work with a local gasket manufacturer, so guess what? Yep!! :lol:
And they have been very nice to me in the past on special requests. For those that know, I run Cragar Super Trick Spindle Mount wheels on my dragster. I requested special gaskets to seal the two wheel halves and they came through in a one-day lead time with perfect cut and fit gaskets to seal the deal.
They are now engaged in the head gasket game. I am creating the head gasket CAD file so if anyone has that already that would help. They are asking what the material is, but if that is not available, they feel confident they can match as there are not that many materials out there for this type of gasket. I am pushing for more information on the fire ring and how that process works.
I will not volunteer a gasket for sale until I can prove it out on my own engines. And some you may know I am running almost 15:1 compression. (BTW, on my 0.045 block, the FelPro stock rebuild gasket held up just fine, even with a little detonation here and there, but I was running 1/2 Studs, but I think the 7/16 studs would be fine too). And just so you don’t get your hopes up, I don’t have a gasket in hand yet. This is a development process like anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:29 am 

Car Model:
Jeff,

Thanks a bunch for the measurement, and for the tantalizing (no pressure!) thought about a new head gasket.

Really, I don't see a problem with running FelPro or similar basic head gaskets for nearly all Slant 6 applications, but it was nice to have the big bore (for bore notches and large bores) that was reliable.

Slant on,
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:38 am 
3 Deuce Webber

Guys:
It occurred to me that there are probably few of us running the way overbore size pistons. The Wiseco pistons max out at 0.045 overbore (I asked them to go bigger but they said NO!! :roll: ) and the FelPro gasket handles those just fine. On one engine I’m at 0.100 over, and another 0.150 over, and I know how much those custom pistons cost :shock: (thanks ROSS Pistons!). I also know most (not all) slanters are budget minded types. My question is, are there that many that really need the max overbore gasket? Or are/were they buying the Endurotec because of the notion it was a better gasket overbore or not? I’m just asking the question to get a feel for why people are/were buying the Endurotec gasket. I know why I was, but others may have different reasons.

BTW: Most of you probably know this, but just a little PSA: You can't go by the bore size of the fire ring of the gasket because it will compress and get smaller in diameter when you torque the head bolts. Not much, but a little. I learned this on my first performance build with 0.085 over bore and a FelPro head gasket. I lined up the gasket on the block and though "man. that fits perfect!" well... not so much when I had to take it apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:40 am 
3 Deuce Webber

Dart270 wrote:
Jeff,

Thanks a bunch for the measurement, and for the tantalizing (no pressure!) thought about a new head gasket.

Really, I don't see a problem with running FelPro or similar basic head gaskets for nearly all Slant 6 applications, but it was nice to have the big bore (for bore notches and large bores) that was reliable.

Slant on,
Lou

Ok, That is a reason I hadn't though of as well. Yes, the bore notches would require a way overbore size gasket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The 1.0 mm OS 2.2L pistons in the current slant in the 68 Barracuda have a diameter of 3.484
That just sneaks inside of the 3.50 fire ring diameter of the standard Fel Pro gasket.
And to date, with around 800 miles on the motor the Fel Pro head gasket has been fine.
However 1.5 mm OS 2.2L pistons are available. Those pistons have a diameter of 3.504
Just outside of the standard Fel Pro gasket. Those would need a bigger diameter fire ring

Another reason for going bigger than the 3.50 Fel Pro diameter is, even with a fairly aggressive cut on the cylinder head, a lot of the 'valve opening' space is in the cylinder head's combustion chamber. Much of the slant six valve shrouding can be compensated for by opening up the combustion chamber that is directly adjacent to the valve's head. The 3.50 diameter fire ring limits how much the shrouding can be cleared. On the slants in the 83 D150 and the 68B I opened the valve side walls in the head's combustion chamber to just inside of the 3.50 fire ring. A head gasket with a bigger fire ring diameter would allow for more aggressive valve de-shrouding, even if the cylinder bore did not actually require the larger diameter gasket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:45 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
The Wiseco pistons max out at 0.045 overbore

I have the 3.484 size and they had 3.50x size originally. Not sure why they had such a nice boxed set of pistons and rings in multiple sizes and then did away with all of them except the small .045 over size. Probably couldn't sell enough. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:36 am 

Car Model:
For me, it has been the valve notches and cyl head chamber width around the valves that made that 3.66" gasket nice. John said it nicely.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
DadTruck wrote:
The 1.0 mm OS 2.2L pistons in the current slant in the 68 Barracuda have a diameter of 3.484
That just sneaks inside of the 3.50 fire ring diameter of the standard Fel Pro gasket.
And to date, with around 800 miles on the motor the Fel Pro head gasket has been fine.
However 1.5 mm OS 2.2L pistons are available. Those pistons have a diameter of 3.504
Just outside of the standard Fel Pro gasket. Those would need a bigger diameter fire ring

Another reason for going bigger than the 3.50 Fel Pro diameter is, even with a fairly aggressive cut on the cylinder head, a lot of the 'valve opening' space is in the cylinder head's combustion chamber. Much of the slant six valve shrouding can be compensated for by opening up the combustion chamber that is directly adjacent to the valve's head. The 3.50 diameter fire ring limits how much the shrouding can be cleared. On the slants in the 83 D150 and the 68B I opened the valve side walls in the head's combustion chamber to just inside of the 3.50 fire ring. A head gasket with a bigger fire ring diameter would allow for more aggressive valve de-shrouding, even if the cylinder bore did not actually require the larger diameter gasket.

Yup. That was exactly why I needed the Aussie HG on my build. Only a 20-thou overbore fron stock but I cleaned up a few rough edges around my combustion chambers, (and barely at that) and discovered that my fire ring would protrude into the chamber edge. I bought a fel pro, a ROL, and a Victor HG to compare and all had the same problem. I'd rather have used something thinner than the Aussie one but I have too much time and money into this head and wasn't gonna shelve it for that reason....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 am 
3 Deuce Webber

:( OK People, Turns out the local gasket company can't help me much other than cutting fiber from a DXF file. I could go further and have punch dies made and buy composite material and punch out the base gasket, (graphite and steel core composite) but then still have to figure a way to put the fire rings in. So it's a no-go at this point.

But if any of you still have the older Endurotec overbore gaskets, I'm still buying. I have two left, and I have two engines that will be using them for this racing season.

I can't see why Felpro can't just make an overbore gasket. Seems easy enough. Who do we know at Felpro?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
It's been years ago, and I can't remember who exactly was telling me this, I'm thinking it may have been my buddy that had his own bumper to bumper parts store franchise for many years. But whoever it was had told me of a "field trip" of sorts where they had been able to tour the old fel pro plant (may still be there and active I don't know) in Skokie IL., and during the tour was told that if you needed a custom gasket or a modification to an existing part number that usually it was "no problem" to just contact them and let them know what you needed and often they could accommodate you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I guess Ryan could check with the guy that made his MLS gaskets and see if he can make a composite one? You never know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
I've had several gasket companies make custom gaskets for me, and all you need to do is provide them a CAD file and it was that easy. Also, you could contact most any company like Felpro, Detroit and others R&D department and they can often make low volume quantities of what you need.