Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Crank bolt?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:48 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi all. So, I'm rebuilding a 76 225 for the 66 Valiant my buddy gave my daughter, and ran into a 'snag'. The free Craigslist engine I'm building didn't come with a bolt on the crank snout for the damper, and neither did the original 66 motor I just removed. I don't see any way for the pressed-fit damper to go on the crank without the bolt, and nobody seems to have one. Can anyone tell me the size of this dang bolt so I can go buy one at NAPA or something? Or share a pearl of wisdom on some other way to accomplish the task at hand? Thanks!

Edit - never mind, I posted this after looking at the first 6 pages of posts, but just found the bolt size on page 9. Thanks anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
You will need either an adapter to get the 66 tranny to mate to the late model crank, or use the crank from the 66 motor. The early crank will work in your late motor, and the early tranny will mate right up to it. I have an early motor in my car, with a late model crank.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:07 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Yeah, I learned of the difference in pre/post-68 cranks after I had already built the engine using the '76 crank. I guess I'll hog out the center hole of the flexplate to fit the larger boss on the late crank and obtain a pilot bushing to fit the smaller nose of the torque converter...Or maybe I can find another freebie on Craigslist and rebuild a later tranny. I haven't touched the 66 tranny yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you change transmission styles, you might then have drive shaft, u-joint issues. The early ones had a ball and trunnion, which will not mate to the later transmissions. It is not a big deal, but something to be dealth with. I have no experience with the ball and trunnion, so I don't have any opinions about which is better. Good truck service places can make any drive shaft combo you need, for around $100 if you supply the two shafts you want spliced together. What body style do you have?
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:11 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
It's a 66 Valiant 200, so it's the same A-body style as 64 and 65 Valiants. Looks different from Darts of the same year, I don't think they shared hardly any body panels. It doesn't have the trunnion dealie though, it's a standard drive shaft with tranny output yoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Is the body a 2 door or four door? I like that body style very much. I always had this secret desire to find a 66 Valiant convertible. I never acted on it, and now probably never will. When I started this car, I was 47 years old. Now I am 61, and have to seriously consider how long a project will take, and how old I will be when it is done. :wink: Good deal about the drive shaft. I don;t know when they changed to the slip yoke. If you get time, send me an e-mail with a picture of your car. I understand it is your daughter's car. Is she helping? How old is she? Is she a teenager or an adult?
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:58 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If the motor is still out of the car, set it up on end and drive the damper on with a hammer and wood block.

If it is in the car, make a driver out of a 3/4" fine X4" bolt that has been threaded all the way. Turn the bolt in to the crank and push the damper on with a nut and a couple flat washers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:00 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
It's a 4-door. I have 2 daughters, one is 26 and one is 24, both married. This one is for the 26-y-o, but she isn't mechanical in the slightest. The 24-y-o is helping, because she always wanted to learn about the insides of cars. Also because she's taking lessons for the 65 Mustang project that's hers, that's in my driveway (this car is at my buddy's house). Also because I can't do as much as I'd like to, since I got ran over on my motorcycle a couple years ago and now I'm gimpy :( . Over the last 2 days the 24-y-o did the whole brake system, new M/C, new wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes, turned drums, the whole shebang. Cool, huh? The dang thing was parked in the woods for 20 years, so there's a LOT more work to do. I have some pix, I'll send 'em in a PM.[/img]