Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Quote:
I'm not worried about the engine mounts; we'll have at least one good solution for those soon. That said...the engine pitching forward on its mounts...? Not that I've seen. All three mounts would have to be whupped into near-nonexistence. I've seen objectionable levels of engine roll (left to right) with '62-'66 stock mounts, but never engine pitch (fore and aft). You have...?
Yes, I've seen it happen; have had it happen to me. Now it's entirely possible that the mounts were badly deteriorated. In those days, near 40 years ago, I was not very knowledgeable about such things but I did learn a lot in a relatively short time frame.

On two different ocassions I had the fan munch the radiator. Once was a panic stop; the blades just brushed the fins of the radiator but didn't puncture the tubes. It left a nice semicircle on the inside of the radiator. The other time I was going down a country road (probably too fast) and hit a washout in the road. The fan and radiator were both destroyed in that incident. As I recall the washout was on the far side of a cattle guard and I didn't see it until it was too late.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Fun stuff! Well, in any event we should have "pitch proof" engine mounts for '62-'66 cars soon, if we don't already have them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:31 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I think the little 1920 one barrel jetted lean (#55 jet) is right on the edge and any drag on the motor makes a big difference.

Dan did you notice that he put in this disclaimer, or did you just look till you found something to disagree with? I value your knowledge but you seem to disagree just to be difficult. I thought he was just reporting HIS experience, I didn't see anywhere that he said anyone else would get the same results.

Yes this is reviving an old thread but I just read it and thought my comment was valid.

1977 d-200 crew cab ex-army pickup wants it's /6 back
1962 Valiant 2 door, 170, three on the tree
1972 d-100 parts truck
80 volare wagon now a parts car