Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
That plastic inner fender was a PITA and was removed fairly quickly. The door took about 5 minutes to get off and the fender itself took about an hour to get off. They hid all the mounting bolts in hard to reach placed and it was hard to find them.

I am really looking forward to getting this old boat back on the road. The one 30 mile drive i took bringing it back to my place was very quiet and comfortable, even with a driver's door that barely shuts. I can't wait to get it all done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Yeah. My short term goal is getting the motor running good and tuning and building it for max torque. That is why I got an old Edelbrock SP2P intake and I am want to try running a spreadbore Holley 4360 carb. Torque ios my friend on this vehicle.

When the time comes to install the slant I am going to get a wide ratio tranny and possibly change the rear gears or rear axle.

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if it passes before I do anything else. Once it passes, the cats are gone, the lena burn is gone, and the fun begins.
My Dad once owned an 83 Gran Fury, which is the mechanical twin of this car. I think you'll find that the 318s from that era are ALREADY tuned for darb near maximum torque, and they actually work impressively well in stock form, although your SP2P sure won't hurt anything. I don't think we ever *touched* that car mechanically- he bought it surplus from the Texas Department of Public Safety (aka highway patrol). It was a supervisor car- no copcar goodies at all, just a 2-bbl 318 with electronic engine management (the system formerly known as Lean Burn). It came with over 120k on the clock, he beat the living crap out of it for several years and sold it with well over 250k on the clock, still running and driving fine. Believe it or not, the computer system and feedback carb (the Carter version, not a Holley) never even hiccupped. I only remember two maintenance issues with that car ever. A fuel fliter clogged on him while driving through Alabama once, and then it spit a driveshaft out about a year before he sold it (the pinion nut backed off for some reason, most likely a failing pinion bearing vibrated it loose).

M-bodies take a lot of verbal abuse for their shortcomings, but the truth in my experience is that they were *damn* well assembled and a basically good, if basic and utilitarian, design.

At the same time, my grandmother owned an 83 slant-6 Diplomat. Identical car except for the engine, but as you well know an 83 slant-6 was a *pathetic* shell of its former self. The 318 car was superior in every way except looks (the slant car had much better paint and lower miles)- the 318 got better mileage by about 4 mpg and FAR more power, but a healthy older slant with a Super Six setup should be just fine. Me? I'd keep it a 318 because its just as indestructible as a slant, almost as fuel-efficient, and already there. But that's just me. A better rear ratio would help- I'll bet you've got something like a 2.45 in there from the factory, that's what Dad's car had and I think it was the norm. The 318 car already has a wide-ratio A998 which helps get it going with the stupid-low numerical rear end.

Edit: Just went chasing through the thread and saw where you wrote this:
Quote:
Also, I confirmed the car has the 7 1/4 rear axle with 2.2 gears!
That is bizarre- I've NEVER seen a 318 M-body with a 7.25. The slant sixes did, but I've never seen one under a 318 car. That's GOT to be a swap that someone did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:55 am 
Supercharged

Nope this car is all original. I *think* it is a 7 1/4 because the axle tubes narrow down where they enter the pumpkin.

There is something definitely wrong with the lean burn system on this car. The idle speeds goes up and down, sometimes almost stalls, it won't accelerate, pings like crazy, etc... It is time to retire it, I think. Plus, I am fairly certain that the cats are clogged. The entire exhaust line (original) behind the original muffler is completely rusted out.

The 318 may be a good motor, but I really like slant sixes. I know I am a bit nuts for wanting to swap a slant six in there, but it will remind me of the 76 Volare Premiere I once owned. I loved that car and NEVER should have sold it. :cry: I'm not looking to build a racer or rally(e) :wink: car, just a comfy daily driver. I figure a well tuned slant with a wide ratio tranny and *maybe* a rear axle gear swap should fit the bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Your welcome Reed! I was surprised at how well those cars where built...when I comes time to put the door and fender on, we can take our time and remove everything needed to get them installed correctly (no man handling the poor thing). Plus, hopefully, it won't rain/snow on us. :lol: I thought is was funny as hell that we where the only ones out in the yard after it started to rain...Them other guys where just amatures. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
There is something definitely wrong with the lean burn system on this car. The idle speeds goes up and down, sometimes almost stalls, it won't accelerate, pings like crazy, etc.
H'm. Sounds like the Lean Burn system is operating within normal parameters! :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:04 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
Your welcome Reed! I was surprised at how well those cars where built...when I comes time to put the door and fender on, we can take our time and remove everything needed to get them installed correctly (no man handling the poor thing). Plus, hopefully, it won't rain/snow on us. :lol: I thought is was funny as hell that we where the only ones out in the yard after it started to rain...Them other guys where just amatures. :lol:
Thats the truth. These Fifth Ave's are even more tank-like than the Volares and diplomats I have worked on. Everything is very solid and sturdy. Plus, the carpet is much nicer than the carpet in my house, and the seats are truly like sitting ona sofa. 8)

I'll get the windows tinted and get an air horn that plays the theme from "The Godfather."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:01 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
Yeah. I am hoping to actually be able to pull the car into the gargae and work on it where it is warm and dry! I just need to finish organizing and cleaning out the other half of it and I should be able to work in there again. Next week I am going to get som 7 mil clear plastic sheetings and make a "paint booth" in the garage in which to paint the fender and door. Of course, I need to strip them both of all the trim/wiring/etc... and sand and prep them first. Once that is done I will pull the fifth ave in and disassemble the front end correctly so installation of the freshly painted bits goes smoothly. Once the new painted parts are on it is off to Napa to get the correct color red pinstriping. Then the rest of the car needs a good polish and wax. Go Meguiar's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Quote:
That is bizarre- I've NEVER seen a 318 M-body with a 7.25. The slant sixes did, but I've never seen one under a 318 car. That's GOT to be a swap that someone did...
My '77 LeBaron had a 7 1/4 rear end and it, like all other '77 Lebarons had a 318. I blew up the 7 1/4 and replaced it with an 8 1/4 from a Chrysler Town and Country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
440 Magnum:
Quote:
Me? I'd keep it a 318 because its just as indestructible as a slant, almost as fuel-efficient, and already there
I have to agree with 440, with a minimum cash outlay, you could perform a few simple upgrades that you would have to do to a /6 anyway, and get a nice performing ride with no heavy lifting. New 4bl carburetor, intake, headers, & maybe a bit of porting... Buttah bing- buttah bang, fagetaboutit. (a little mob lingo there)

And to reduce any guilt, just apply a "My Other Car Is A Slant 6" bump'ah stick'ah.

Last edited by wjajr on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:58 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
440 Magnum:
Quote:
Me? I'd keep it a 318 because its just as indestructible as a slant, almost as fuel-efficient, and already there
I have to agree with 440, with a minimum cash outlay, you could perform a few simple upgrades that you would have to do to a /6 anyway, and get a nice performing ride with no heavy lifting. New 4bl carburetor, intake, headers, & maybe a bit of porting... Buttah bing- buttah bang, fagetaboutit. (a little mob lingo there)
Yeah, but its not a slant... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Yeah, but its not a slant...
So park on a hill side... Last time I looked at a V8 they slanted both ways.

Make your life easy by not having to swap out a lot of electronic crap, transmissions, air conditioning bits & pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:20 pm 
Supercharged

But it still wouldn't be a slant.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:58 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant 225, 1977 Dodge D100 225
Very sinister looking indeed! I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
440 Magnum:
Quote:
Yeah, but its not a slant... :cry:
I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the car. If I stumbled onto a car like that, and in as good condition, I'd just fix what it needs, drive it, and enjoy it for what it is. I'd save my "favorite" engine build-up (be it a slant, a 340, 383, 440, whatever) for something a little more unusual. But if you want to make a slant-powered project out of it, then more power to you! A friend of mine (but not a friend of Dan's- he'll remember who I'm talking about) ;-) once went to the trouble of installing a built 360 and an A-833 in a Diplomat using Volare wagon clutch/brake pedals and had a lot of fun doing that. A slant shouldn't be particularly hard since those cars were offered with leaning power from the factory through 83.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
My '77 LeBaron had a 7 1/4 rear end and it, like all other '77 Lebarons had a 318. I blew up the 7 1/4 and replaced it with an 8 1/4 from a Chrysler Town and Country.
I'd have hoped they'd have learned not to put an open 7.25 behind anything with more than 90 horsepower before '84. Guess not... :-(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next