Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
How good does soundproofing material really work? After I reduce my exhaust back down to a single, I'm thinking the car will probably still be road-noisy on the inside. I was wondering if it's worth it to get the material that you put under the carpet to reduce road noise... Obviously I'm not expecting a silent ride (it's a 62, bump *creak* bump *groan* =), but I'm looking for a discernable difference, not a trivial difference. Also, are there any soundproofing materials that I should just stay away from? What works best?

And for those of you in 62's; what did you do about seat belts? I've had generic-type belts installed for a long time. Cheap plastic and all, starting to show thier age, but they work... I would really like to go to a more vintage look for belts; I know there are belts out there that at least have vintage style metal buckles... also it'll give me a chance to get belts that match my interior (green). In addition I'd want to add retractors or something as now the belts flop around when not wrapped about a person. Does anyone who's put belts in thier 62 have pics they could share?

1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Soundproofing: See threads here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Seat belts that work or seat belts that look era-correct: here, here, here, and here.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Soundproofing: See threads here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Seat belts that work or seat belts that look era-correct: here, here, here, and here.
Dan, you really are the "Link King".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Soon the board will be relegated to people asking questions, and only links come back =)

Thanks SSD, I'll have to determine which of the sound deadeners is absolute easiest to work with. I don't think I can go full out with the stuff, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to add any at all..

Still, anyone with a 62 have pics of thier seatbelts? I'm wondering how some of these options may look before buying the items and finding out they may not quite work right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 pm 

Car Model:
If you are actually driving in traffic and interested in surviving a crash, there is one good and street-legal option: the Wesco 4-point belts. If you're okeh with restraining just your hips so only the top half of you flying forward to meet the steering shaft and windshield in a crash, then get lap belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well yea, I've joked before that the seatbelts in my car are good for nothing more than keeping my mangled corpse within the automobile after a crash. I know it's morbid, but hey. The 4-points just seem like they'd be kind of a pain to get in and out of, especially for guests in my car. I'm not dismissing them though, the jury is still out. The idea of the dual post was that I figured if I were going to take the time to pull the seats to get the carpet up for soundproofing, I might as well do seatbelts at the same time. I don't have the money for either project yet, but I like to jot down ideas and parts numbers so when I am ready, I can make stuff a little easier when the time comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
The 4-points just seem like they'd be kind of a pain to get in and out of
To fasten: slip arms thru belt halves like backback straps, buckle lap belt.

To unfasten: Lift buckle flap, grasp halves of lap portion, fling aside.