Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Here's my problem I have a motor that I have partially torn down head and oil pan are off and I want to clean the inside up what is the best way I can achieve a good cleaning of the sludge without damaging any internal parts

thanks Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Kerosene works real good. You have to be carefull though when you get crude loose you need to be sure you get it out. I have even used water hose to spray it out real good as I am cleaning, but you have ot get all the water out also. Using the kerosene back on the parts after the water dries/runs out will help so it doesnt rust.

If I was going to do this, I would want to be able to put it back together right when I got done so that rust cant start forming. Get it together, fired up and run a little, before really driving. Maybe let it idle for 30 minutes with new oil, then drain and change it and filter.

If the engine is not in the car use the kerosene and spray debree out with water hose. Then use a heater , like a space heater that you can really heat the engine up with so it dries out good. After drying, coat eveything with oil. The kerosene will help it not rust compaired to using something like degreeser which strips the oil off of parts.

Remember though, kerosene is flammable so keep it and any heater away from each other. And be carefull when using it to clean, keep any source of spark/fire away and be ready to put it out if it does get on fire. Kerosene is not easy to get burning though, so its not like using gas or something like that.

I have done this many times on engines that are still in the car even. SO it works quit good, just use you rhead and think about what your doing. Chances of fire, or leaving parts untreated to rust are the conserns.

Plus you want to think about all that mess running out on the ground or driveway. You can use one of those big drip pans like the parts stores sale to catch most of the Kerosene. Then empty it before doing any water spraying and try and catch most of that. Stop and empty when needed.

IMHO if you have it torn down that far it would not be that much to take it on apart. I have taken them apart then clean the block, pistons and rings because of stuck rings. Then put it all back together with same parts. You want ot keep all parts going back exactly where they came from but it can be done. A gummed up engine like this there will be a good change the oil rings are stuck on the pistons. Cleaning and unsticking rings can help alot if you are on a budget. Even just removing the pistons/rods and doing the ring clean would be worth it. Maybe clean the engine as planned, then after dry remove piston/rods and clean them so you keep the crank jurnals clean. ( doing it after cleaning debree out of engine). You can use carb cleaner to clean the rings and not even remove the rings from the pistons ( best not to remove them). Ofcourse doing this extra piston/ring cleaning requires a few extra tools but its something to think about.

If you do have to let the block set after cleaning take AFT fluid and totally fill the cylinders and coat the top of the block surface. Ofcourse remove it when its time to put it together. This stuff can rust a lot easier than expected after cleaning. I have even taken and put the oil pan back on with no gasket and a few bolts, throw a few quarts of ATF fluid in th eengine and crank it over with starter. THis will help clear out any water/trash that may be in oil passages and then the oil pan will catch it. Using the oil pan like this is a good way to catch a lot of water and cleaner also. Put the pan on when cleaning the top of the engine, then drain in a bucket and remove pan and clean bottom. Using a parts brush with the Kero helps also.

Use your head and think about what your doing and you should be OK. But do be carefull.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Jess that makes sense the motor isn't to bad but since I got it apart I was thinking I mine as well clean it up
Aaron