Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Adventures in kickdown
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Well, I made my carb switch a couple days ago as well as the HEI change. I also had to make some kickdown linkage. Honestly the kickdown was my biggest hold-up and my biggest worry. But I was able to get everything working so I thought I would post my adventures so someone else can benefit.

My truck is the new gray one that Ryan and I swapped for. It had the lean burn and it didn't run bad, but it didn't run good either. It was pretty underpowered for sure with the automatic.

After looking at things for a while I decided that with some minor tweaks to the linkage the stock 1 barrel linkage could be made to work. Whether or not it would work right remains to be seen.

First after the new Intake and carb were bolted into place was to bolt a piece of angle iron to the existing studs from the removed EGR valve. This moved all the linkage over to a more reasonable location in relationship to the new 2 barrel . As you can see I did place 2 large nuts behind the bracket to move it all over another 1/2".

Next I bolted the existing 1 barrel kickdown to this new bracket. I also cut off the throttle cable holdown (Still shown in this pic) and it will be reused shortly

I next had to modify the existing link from the carb down to the kickdown rocker. On the 1 barrel it pushed almost straight down and had the end pointing the wrong way to be of any use onthe 2 barrel. So I cut off the end and welded on a piece of flat bar to get everything going the right direction.

This arm had to have a dog leg put into it to get it to line up where I wanted it. I also drilled a hole in the dog leg for the factory spring to hook into.

The arm that goes down to the tranny also looked like it may have hit the body since it was in a new location. I removed it and put it in the vice and gave it a little bend. Yeah, about that much. It worked perfect the first time.

A simple piece of 2" strap was held in place along with the throttle cable to get an idea of where the piece need to be bent. After I bent it I took the recently cut off cable mount and set it on the end of the new bracket and welded it fast. The cable has a pretty good twist in it but it works fine.

Hooked everything up, including the 2 throttle springs. They hook to an old bracket I had in the box.

It was a good bit of work, and time consuming making everything from scratch without some plans. So maybe this will be helpful to someone out there. It obviously would have been much easier and less hassles to buy all the factory stuff. But the truth of the matter is I have only about $40 in this whole setup including the carb. And if I have to do another one it will go a lot faster. Oh yeah the carb was picked up by a friend at Carlisle for $5. After he bought it he decided it wouldn't work for him and I got for $5. It is a Holley 2280 and the factory truck fuel line bolted right up without modification.

Truck runs 100% better, and the kickdown works better than when we bought the truck. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Nice work, and nice story, Rick!

Lou

Post subject: drive report
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm 

I put about 60 miles on it last night and today and couldn't be more happy with how it works. I may adjust the arm on the tranny to get just a bit higher shift points but everything works very well.

Rick

I would like the lockup convertor to lock up a little later. It locks up at 35MPH. 40-45 would be my preference. I will have to do a little searching on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi Rick, very nice work.

Here is a link to a thread in the forum dealing with your question: 904 shift point adjust.

One solution may be the 727 and 904 shift correction package ($41.99) from Oregon Performance Transmission, which also provide choice of lockup speed. I have this kit, but have not installed it yet.

I think bigslant6fan has a great deal of knowledge about this subject, unless he reads this, a pm to him may give a lot of the info you seek.

I have a lock up 904 myself, so please report back on your progress.

Olaf.

Post subject: Bigslantfan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:26 pm 

Bigslantfan lives real close to me and has been to our races. He would be a good contact. And it looks like that shift kit should do the trick also.

I will probably go the shift kit route but that will have to wait until after the Elk Creek Race and until after my car is painted. I will keep everyone posted as to how it works.

Anyone on here ever used this kit?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Looks great! (it's a good thing you didn't charge yourself for labor- otherwise you'd never be able to afford your own work! :wink: )

Post subject: Yes sir !!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm 

Ye sirree Bob! I think I have $1125.18 once I figure the labor!! :D

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Isn't that part of the fun? Figuring out how to make things work, even without the "right" parts?

1977 d-200 crew cab ex-army pickup wants it's /6 back
1962 Valiant 2 door, 170, three on the tree
1972 d-100 parts truck
80 volare wagon now a parts car

Post subject: Your kidding me!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm 

You got to be kidding me. After fabricating all my linkage last Saturday, guess what I found at Carlisle today? Yes, a complete super six setup including the carb and correct linkage, air cleaner, and intake/exhaust manifolds for $75. Yes I bought it, along with a very nice set of 3 into 1 headers, and a intermediate set of pipes for the headers that have an H pipe in them. $40!! Now that is a good deal.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:05 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Congrats! That IS a good deal!

Post subject: Re: Your kidding me!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
You got to be kidding me. After fabricating all my linkage last Saturday, guess what I found at Carlisle today? Yes, a complete super six setup including the carb and correct linkage, air cleaner, and intake/exhaust manifolds for $75. Yes I bought it, along with a very nice set of 3 into 1 headers, and a intermediate set of pipes for the headers that have an H pipe in them. $40!! Now that is a good deal.

Rick

thats a score!
did you talk to the sellers and get any background info...some of those stories are very informantive.

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:24 am 

We talked to them a bit. Nice fellows, from the Lancaster PA. area. They came with a few trucks full of stuff and planned to go home with none of it. Unlike a lot of people at Carlisle who plan to make a fortune off every part they have.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Hey
Glad I found this, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. A late "thanks for posting".....
Just posted to dredge it from way beyond so I can find it again easier, in the coming few days after work // as I hook mine up.
I did get an aftermarket copy Lokar kickdown cable supposedly made just for a 904/727 that I may include in my build// but even so, great idea on the throttle cable part of the project.

Also I hit on the link for the shift kit. It goes to eBay, where I get the "we looked everywhere" and can't find it from ebay once I got to the other side of the link. (I do realize this is an ancient post)
What brand was the actual shift kit? I'm gonna need one for my trans. To this point, my Lock up function has been non existent. I did put a new converter in with the fresh engine.

I converted my son's slant/833 OD truck to super 6 and I can't remember how I did his throttle cable ,and my bonehead son has since sold that truck so I can't just go look at it to see what w did on that one. Getting CRS these days

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:19 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1970 Challenger
Hi Guy

Have you ever checked out Bouchillon Performance?
They have lots of trick Mopar stuff like kickdowns and linkage kits.

Jon S.

https://bouchillonperformance.com/meta- ... -cable-kit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:28 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Yup. I've seen their stuff before.
But I can't stomach nearly $300 for no more than what you'd get.
I do have a couple of "copy" Lokar cables here to mess with and see where one of those will get me.
If that fails I have a junkyard near me that has plenty of 90s-00s jeeps and Dakota's rotting away, that I can go pilfer from, and put that $300 towards something like paint work or the rest of what I'm lacking in putting "factory" AC into this truck.
I