Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: SSGPohlman 84 D150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well here goes, figure I had better get in here and make some noise and add to the community in what ways I can. Ill be documenting an 84 D150 and what all comes with it. I dont have all my pictures right now but ill post them as the details go. Many thanks goes out to "dadstruck" (not my dad, the guy lol) for detailing his build, and giving me some ideas. Also he is a fellow Hoosier. So for now Ill just list what I have done (keep a list for tracking on my phone) and Ill go from there.

1984 Ram (probly miser but they ended in 83?)
Aquired Apr 22nd 2012 (traded 86 yota 4x4) i prefer older :wink:
odo read 56,500, i assume it rolled once not sure.
Factory slant 6 with A833OD (pics)
super 6 swap and rebuild 2bbl (pic to follow, it was horrible) :shock:
correct super 6 intake, car show friend in Va. sorry i cant remeber your name :oops: he will know it when he sees it.
autozone downpipe for 80 truck *cat delete* 8) :twisted:
thrush welded muffler
gasket match intake exhaust. (pics) (bad machinist) :evil:
Lean burn delete- dizzy cap rotor :D :lol:
GM HEI swap, Thank /6.org huge help in engine issues. (pics) :D
Mini starter from 99 durango- works great
Coils for cup holders 8) :D (pics)
correct super six choke
driver and passenger door seals- new dodge truck at u pull it
floor board rust convert primered
after rust conver used auto zone rubber spray coat
new 180* stat (old one was stuck)
clutch fan replacing solid bolted one
fixed tailgate latch (still needs gone through from PO)
Added power steering!! it was a beast with manual steer UGH! :evil:
Installed small amp under seat and one 12" behind seat
changed factory coil to accel super stock
Remote filter install- much better than uside down (pics maybe) 8)
painted front grill and headlight buckets (pics)
Lower control arm from van- allows dropping the front (pics) :shock:
upper and lower ball joints
new front shocks
chevy rear shackles in rear
flipped the front rear leaf hanger
Led rear bulbs
T valve in heater line to keep heat out in summer (no A/C) no vents even
tach, oil, vacuum, gages (soon to redo)
overflow tank from u pull
battery- measured for size and not "recommended" :roll:
changed trans fluid
rear trans seal
brass freeze plugs (pics) old ones were rusted
upgraded grounds
front rotors turned
repacked front bearings
factory oil n temp install -pointless with after markets
LED front markers
window tint (self done, though not professional)
fuel filter with return lines
rear fuel line segments replaced, old ones rotted
Air filter
reloom a bit of wires (pics)
recently bought pasenger fender bc of a dent that was there before me (pics somewhere of dent)

Seems like a bit of details over small things but I done the same when I owned the yota. Helps to eliminate (in my case what may go wrong from install) :oops: The front bumper has specs of rust with an outline of an old DOD sticker so it once again is in the hands of a military member. I traded for the truck while at school for 8 mo in Ft Lee Va. and on saturdays there was a car show near that I would actually go enter. Never won but met some good people and had fun. Most never noticed the gm hei or mini starter but i know its there. Ive probly done more just dont remember (changed tires, memory sucks) some i have pics for and some I dont, just have to figure out the whole posting thing. Ill also try to do some details of the write up as i post them so that maybe i done something that someone else can use. Or at least where I found the information (LCA's from van) Currently stuck on deployment and scheduled home in July then I can go back to wreinching. small things first and then in the winter im about 90% set on going blowthrough. Have a Holley 500 already, innovative wideband, and a WH1C. :shock: 8) Im sure there is more I could add etc but Ill get this one out so to get started and go from there. So Ill work out the pics and details and get back with the forum.
Pohlman

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Last edited by Ssg Pohlman on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
How 'bout the pics? :D

We can all live vicarously through your exploits!

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well i figured out the whole upload of images so Ill see if I can input some of them here. Ill start at the beginning and work my way up to current. Some will be more of a detailed write up as well. So the pic for the actual ad on craigslist:
And when I got back to Ft Lee.
That in itself was a drive. no power steering, steering joint was shot, and unbalanced 30x9.5 tires. :shock: 2hrs of white knuckle weaving from white line to center and back. I also noticed how high it set just the same as "dadstruck" hard to believe mine was that tall at one point. Next up is the cupholders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Nice! I like your original hood ornament. Those old trucks have been growing on me lately. I think my next vehicle will be a truck or maybe a Ramcharger, with a slant of course. A Warlock replica would be cool.

More pics!

Post subject: Cup Holders!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
As was common in the older cars and trucks there were cup holders...or lack there of. so instead of getting the cheapy that sticks to the door or one on the trans tunnel that will most likely slide or not big enough etc etc, i decided to make some. no in between pics but the aftermath.
It started with some coils that i had in the rear of my 86 toyota to help the flat springs known as a "zuk mod" I kept them bc they were too stiff and just didnt get rid of them. So i took them out on the sidewalk and put a monster can in them and guessed where to cut. then used metal 3/8th? conduit clamps and self tap screws on the bottom to secure them. So far so good. Also note that I am restoring a 51 chevy pickup and plan to do the same except use old ration cans for cupholders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That is a very nice truck, and you've done all the good mods to make it even more perfect. Great work!

Olaf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
THis may not be the next thing in line but i know it was before i done the super six swap so ill go with it for now. As my truck came with the junk Lean burn system :roll: and most lines etc were long gone :evil: , the timing was stuck at a base of 10 and never moved. Not to mention it just didnt want to run right, missing, and stutters in certain RPM ranges the more I drove it. so off with the lean burn. :twisted:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... e028ug.jpg
I actually converted it in the empty bay of a car wash since it was raining and i had no garage. :shock: Took me about 2 hours total just from pulling wires and trying to make it neat as well as figuring where to put everything at. (also had to reference the site here a bit) :oops: So on to the putting parts back in. the module and heat sink is on the fender close by for short wires.
Not too happy with the connectors so that Im going to look into when i get back, but so far not one issue even driving from Va back to indiana. The wires were cleaned up as best i could and put in the bendable wire hangers on the head.
you can kind of see the accel super stock coil that i had already so just added it instead of buying a different one. Also you can see the "T' valve in the heater hose to keep the cab a lil cooler in summer. Next up was to go back in and re-loom some of the wires to clean it all up and not look so bad.
In there is also the new, longer hose for the distributer. I have a thing for not running things over the engine etc. The fuel line running up over the valve cover was later moved around to the front and up as well. along with new fuel filter and lines. Next up the front and rear suspension.

Edit: when this was done I did not change the Distributer at the same time so i was running just set timing. Even though it cleared up some of the issues it wasnt until i went with a mech/vacuum Dizzy that it really shocked me how smooth it ran. The Old one had started to really collect deposits under the cap, It was white and chalky looking? So later I added a dizzy from a 77 volare? witht he recommended cap and rotor from this site, cleaned up beautifully.

Last edited by Ssg Pohlman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
[quote="Reed"]Nice! I like your original hood ornament. Those old trucks have been growing on me lately. I think my next vehicle will be a truck or maybe a Ramcharger, with a slant of course. A Warlock replica would be cool.

I have a friend that lives up in Port Angeles and there are two of these trucks on craigslist for $1800, or was when i looked last. but both were slants i do believe and very straight bodies. Maybe check it out, I could always use an excuse to drive up there and see what parts we could swap :D

Post subject: Super Six Swap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
So this will be a bit more in depth as there was some issues along the way as ill point out. First the casting showed it was from a 77' and the PO had got it but never set out to put it on, so i drove another 2 hrs back up to get it just to have it. sure glad i did. Sorry no before shots of how it came to me but I can show some old and new. So first up was to get it all apart and then send to a machinist to remove a couple bolts and plane?, make the entire thing flat on the front to seal well. so sent it off (a lot omitted) and began work on the Carb. It was a mess! :shock:
This is all i have of carb before. kind of shows the difference in sides and takes quite a bit of time to do the cleaning. So I cleaned and then also found a sonic machine to do a lot of it, saving a lot of time and energy. But for working on it, I had a room with a desk so it became a work bench :twisted:
Then put it all back together with new pcs and gaskets. Took forever to get the floats right but until this point ive never worked on carbs besides swapping them. Not bad i think 8)
Then it came to getting the intake and exhaust back... :evil: Told him to gasket match the ports on both of them and this is what came back
You can imagine how mad i was. so out came the dremel as you can see in the background. It was the same on every port as well. Note the blueing? for his guide.
So lots of time and many of the little stone bits and I tried my best and first hand at porting them a bit. went as far as i could with the dremel but Id say better than stock and the machinist job.
So a few coats of paint for both of them. Its found at autozone and 2000* temps so works for me. Ive had great luck with it.
Be back have people that walked in the office, Higher rank says to pay attn. :roll:
And on to the pre assembley in the room. I think it went well, and the two tone colors sets it apart just that much more.
A whole seperate day was spent taking the old setup out and putting the new setup in. while in there i put in the brass freeze plugs as well. rerouted the fuel line. Out with the old!!
And this was done in the Autozone parking lot next to the building just in case i needed something :shock: :D
And in with the new!! The air cleaner was as said, bought from a local guy that i had met at the car show I was going to. He has a beautiful Duster in his garage. Complete with figerglass fenders and hood both. Thanks to ??? sorry i forgot your name :oops:
Over all Id say it went well and Love the new look under the hood. It can also be seen the Down pipe that got rid of the Cat which strangly came with a WBO2 bung which i had a core put in and welded shut. Ill hook up my WBO2 when i get home to see how the carb is running since all i have done is set timing, idle, and choke adjustments. No metering rod changes or anything. Also flipped the EGR valve to do away with it. great living in non inspection states. Barely seen is the 99 durango mini starter that was a hug improvement over the rock cruncher. So i think i got all of it in there some how. If i think of more ill add it as i go. Even though i skipped over the suspension....

Post subject: Lowering the 84 D150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Next up is the ride height. I was not a fan of the ride as it was top heavy and made it feel odd being so far up yet only a 2X4. So some research, parts chasing, and off to the on post shop (rental fee per hr :roll: )In we go. as i got it.
and as it was on the lift.
and as it rolled out, after the front LCAs and rear shackles
Much nicer. Even though I dont like that much rake to it, that was solved later when i got home and flipped the front leaf spring hanger making it almost level front to back but with a 1-1.5" rake. All ideas etc was found here http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328611 Now also the tires were changed so it doesnt look so bad with the 30x9.5 ones there. There is also the tint on the wings i put on w 5% :shock: 8)

Post subject: Cut up the dash
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Also was being dumb and decided to add a few more items to monitor things. vacuum, oil, Temp. Two of them were bolted to where the ashtray was when i got it but too far down to really read. so out comes the dash
Took the dremel to it and cut out the dash pocket to make way for a template and 3 holes. and then put it all back in. Also reinstalled the stereo so that it was flush and not recessed.
Managed to find two pcs for the steering column to cover some gaps in the dash. They were red so out came the high temp paint.
I have since decided to take them back out and go back to stock. looks a little less highschool then. so ebay I went and found a replacement dash piece but its black and not woodgrain which is a plus. Only mine doesnt have the hole to the left of the pocket.
Now given that i convert to a 90's gauge cluster per "dadstruck" specs then i can ditch the oil and temp guage. They make a two pod a-piller mount that I plan to put the WBO2 and boost/vacuum. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The first photo is the passenger side with a big dent that was there when i got it. It was there before the guy before me got it so who knows how long its been there. Explains the whole driver side only pic from me but you can see it here:

I last week ordered a new fender for that side so that when i get home i can get it painted and swap them out, then its just figuring out the door dings. probly just paint and swap them too. But also you can see there the front grill before i painted it here:
You can also see the very low (10"?) eyebrow tint. Looks pretty tough there i thought 8) which in the event of the turbo install, and keeping the low sleeper look, would hide one of these very well
Lower but not slower :twisted:

Last edited by Ssg Pohlman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Nice write-up!

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
that is a nice truck,,keep us posted on the progress :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I get a chance Ill add a photo of the yota that I traded for the slant, and maybe even a tease pic of my 51 chevy. It too is an inline 6, just not leaned over 30*. Doin all i can to keep'em inline! :D