Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:35 am 
Hi from downunder,
I was surfing the net and thought I would pay this site a visit as I have not been here for ages. Then I noticed your site section dedicated to "New Technology for Old Slants" ! How cool.

I run a popular website in Australia ( www.moparmarket.com ) and have posted a few pics of our direct port injected, turbocharged Slant 6 on several occassions but thought I would show our wares here on your forum.
http://efipacer.idx.com.au/images/charlies-pacer1.jpg

I used an Australian produced triple SU intake and modded it enough to cater for 3 x RB25 55mm throttle bodies. The exhaust manifold is a modded factory type which i will replace in the near future for a custom steam pipe bend fabrication 9 I ran out of time ). Currently I am running no intercooler and the car is awesome. I am having some trouble with spark plugs fouling but am confident that the intercooler will help correct this. I am currently running an intake air-temp charge of approx 90 degrees with no detonation. I am looking forward to intercooling it in the next week or so and have opted for "water/air" type. A custom item will be placed where the washer bottle resoviour is currently and plumbed to keep it looking stock without an air/air front mount to look like a ricer. The turbo is from a RX7 series 5 and it rocks. This turbo will bolt a T04 compressor snail and with the right trim will be good for another a fair bit more power. The injectors are 440cc Mercedes Benz items and am running 2 x bosch innline pumps through a surge tank that is primed by a Carter low pressure pump. I am having some clutch issues also currently which I hope to fix this week but otherwise it runs fine, has heaps of go and sometimes scares the life out of me !

For a backyard job it turned out really well.

Ray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:37 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Wholly shnikies you call that back yard? Would you mind it if my car spent a few days in your yard? :lol:

Awsome looking job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:47 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Ray,

It is rather hard to find good high performance slant parts in the US. Can you give us any info or websites for good companies in Australia? I am particularly interested in the Diecrest engineering timing gear drive set.

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Rayman,Ilurk around your site quite a bit and must say that you have one hell of a nice site ,I hope to join up soon.Kudos to you and Charlie.
HyperValiant

1974 Valiant (v8) daughter Kelly's work in progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:40 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ive seen it too. Wild machine!

Up untill the late 80's, John Cain made triple SU/Stromberg and Weber DCOE 45 intake manifolds. Lynx used to as well. They never ditch tooling, but the demand has fits and starts like all six cylinder stuff, as it never shifts V8 quantities. Some other companies, such as Matilda foundaries who make Ultraflow intakes, may consider it if the business plan is right. And even though the Aussie dollar is fairly strong, the US Government lookes favourably on Oz exports. It depends on how much volume you can promise.

It takes something like Rayman440's machine to energize people again. As a Kiwi, its lots of fun to see Aussies engineering skills. These guys can't really just go buy any thing really trick these days for the slant, just like in America. They coble up the system with some glazed dreamy look in there eyes so it works well, and then focus on making it a standout looker. In the old days, 'go' was much more important than 'looks'. Now, Aussie street machines give both, and are the envy of everyone from Newfoundland to New Zealand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Ray,
That is one great looking Slant!! Are there any mods to the engine itself? How much boost are you running? If you have any more pictures of this engine I'm sure we'd all love to see them.
Bob D

Post subject: Nice!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:44 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Not only is it great to see a slant six equipped with all that hardware, that's a very professional looking installation you've got there. Thanks for posting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I concur with all, that is pretty clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:15 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Looks great but let's see some numbers.

Compression ration, cam lift/duration, bore, stroke, horespower etc. Any 1/8 or 1/4 mile predictions.

What axle and tranny?

White engine compartment? Now that takes balls.

Real pretty.

Gooday!

Post subject: Aussie efi/turbo Slant
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:41 am 
Well, thanks guys for all the kind words. I am pleased that you like my "wifes" setup ! :)

Yeah, I know. It's way too cool a ride and engine for a chick... he he. I can't wwait to finish my own rides...but that's a whole other story.

Here are a few other pics of the setup inlcuding some with the latest addition ( still in early stages of testing ). It's a water-air intercooler. I only fitted it two days ago so I am still sussing it out for prospective changes etc...

Like most all the other gear you see on the engine, it's pretty agricultural. The intercooler itself I got made on request, but all the other gear is stuff you can find real cheap or may even have.

I won't go into the physics of how a water-air intercooler works but will say that I have chosen this for four reasons primarily.

1) Water dissipates heat much better than air, hence making it possible to run smaller intercoolers and ofcoarse generally making them more efficient

2) Shock value. Most turbocharged cars here in OZ when they run an intercooler, they opt for the front mounted (wank) alloy air-air intercoolers. I wanted this intercooler system to complete the "retro" look to the conversion.

3) Using the water-air intercooler and keeping in underbonnet (hood), it alloys plumbing to be less flow restrictive. Turbo lag is reduced. Doing it this way most likely saves atleast 1/2 the air travel distance compared to a front mounted air-air unit.

4) I didn't want it to look like a "ricer"-mobile with a front mount air-air intercooler. It's that simple.

So far I am finding that the intercooler has most definately stabilised by boost perssures. Before I fitted the intercooler it was up and down regularly and very unpredictable.

Water-air Intercooler is made up of the following components.

** Intercooler. Has its own water supply.
** Cooler/Radiator.
** Water pump.

I got the intercooler professionally made as I mentioned to my specifications. The cooler is a late model Valiant air conditioning condensor. It's big and has a large cooling area, ideal for this use. NOTE: This condensor uses a spiral core tubing and flows well at low pressure. Most air con condensors will not flow well with water at low pressure. An oil cooler is usually a better option. I chose this because I had three laying around, it flows well when tested and it looks like a factory fitted item now fitted. The water pump is a simple, cheap inline 12volt booster pump used in caravans and bosts etc. It flows apporx 11 litres per minute and should be enough, but more testing will determine this.

Yes, the engine was built for this purpose, but once again I built this engine on a fairly affordable budget. Some of the specs of the engine are as follows :

**Compression : 8.0:1
**Pistons : Low comp (dished) cast truck pistons 40" over
**Cylinder Head : Polished and posted. Fitted with stadnard valve sizes and prepped for use on P-ULP
**Camshaft : Custom grind - Duration 220/223 - Lift 264/266

ALL OTHER COMPONENTS ARE STOCK.

The car runs a factory type borg warner close ratio 3 speed manual transmission. Alot of people hate these with a passion, but I have had absolutely no trouble with this one. I have rebuilt it myself and it has handled the abuse thus far.. :-)) If it does start to give me greif I will most likely chagne to a 5 speed of some kind... but we'll see.

The diff is again a factory fitted borg warner item. Although fitted with a 3.23 LSD centre.

That's about it. I have upgraded the clutch last week as I was having some serious trouble there. :) All is well now though.

I will put it on the dyno in the near future although I care not for the end result really. I would like to know as a point of interest but not I do know this. Today ( first day intercooled ) I ran a mate of mine with a reasonable hot 440 Aussie Charger and at 110mph I was pushing the old slant to 4800rpm. He did gain ground on me at the top, but not much. I was pretty chuffed really considering we're talking about a forced-fed engine only 1/2 the displacement !

One thing I want to do is move teh air filter pod from the front of teh compressor housing on teh turbo to a more "cold air effective" location. That has to be worth another 10hp, it just sucking in hot air. :) All in good time.

The end result though is very good. It goes real hard, looks great and is so much fun to drive. So much so that I simply don;t want to give it back to my wife !

Take care and thanks for your interest.

Ray.

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/slant1.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/slant2.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/slant3.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/slant4.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pacer0.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pacer1.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pacer2.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pacer.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pac1.jpg

http://www.moparmarket.com/index_files/pac2.jpg

Post subject: boost'n
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:59 am 
Oh yeah, currently running 10lbs boost.
:)

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:03 am 
Awsome is too conservative a word! How did you polish everything up so nicely? What kind of equipment did you use. It looks like you even polished some of the cast iron too. Am I misinterpreting the photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:15 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Ray,
Thanks for the additional information! I've been debating whether to add an intercooler to my turbocharged and fuel injected SL6. I think that you have provided the impetus for me to go for it! Please keep us posted on the final results with the intercooler. The water-air intercooler looks like a real interesting way to go. Were you running 10 pounds of boost with or without the intercooler?
I've enclosed a picture of my set-up because you may not have seen it when I first posted it almost a year ago. I know what you mean by "fun to drive". Until you've driven a turbo SL6 it's hard to imagine the difference!
Bob D

http://hometown.aol.com/bbobbias/page1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:37 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
The intercooler is the way to go. What about using an icebox
to evaluate the intercooler? For 1/4 mile racing only this might
be simpler to rig up a test mule.

The water to air intercooler is appealing because it can be fitted
closer to the air stream and is less bulky than air to air. What
about using a modified A/C system for intercooling?

There is a lot of potential in the turbo slant six, I don't think I'd
consider spending the money to build the guts of the motor
without the intercooler. Maybe I'd grenade a stock motor
to see what it would take, but I'd never spend the money to
use the good components without using the intercooler.

Tim

Post subject: EFI/Turbo Slant 6
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:15 pm 
I was running only 4 lbs boost without intercooler. I am certain I should be able to get 15 lbs out of it comfortably without chance of problems now it's intercooled.....