Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
This thread is for discussion about the 5 bonus points that are currently given for breaking a record. The killer Bees present at their last race were able to discuss some of the rules issues we will be discussing on the board. They were unanimous in their support for raising the points awarded for breaking a record to some higher value. The number 20 was thrown out as an option.

Let the discussion begin.
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I believe I was the person that suggested 20 points for setting a record. Since only one record per year, per competitor may be counted, it rewards the racer that hangs it all out there to bump the E.T. or MPH up in a given fuel/adder/weight class. Current rules do not allow for multiple records being counted in the same race season. This would keep a racer from bumping the record up in small amounts each race, changing weight classes or competing in different cars to collect points repeatedly the same year. While this can still be done to collect records, it should not be considered a tool for amassing points for a championship without round wins. It could however make a difference in the final tally, with the tie breaker going to the competitor with the greater number of round wins.

These are the hardest points to earn, and should be rewarded at a level appropriate to the effort.

2¢

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The question I have is:

IF you set a record, and someone else comes along before the end of the season and resets it, do you get to keep your points for setting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
I would think you get to keep the points, it's like you win a race and someone else wins the next one you don't loose the points you earned.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 am 
Site Admin

I would agree with Richards train of though.
Does it need to say, one award of points per Competitor, and per racing vehicle, per year?
That keeps Richard from jumping in the Daytona after you set the record, and collecting a twenty spot of his own. Slippery slope.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 pm 

Car Model:
I am in favor of a big reward for setting a record. 20 pts/yr per person, for first record they set sounds great to me.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Quote:
IF you set a record, and someone else comes along before the end of the season and resets it, do you get to keep your points for setting it?
Nothing in the rules says that you lose them, so I would say you keep them.
Quote:
Does it need to say, one award of points per Competitor, and per racing vehicle, per year?
That keeps Richard from jumping in the Daytona after you set the record, and collecting a twenty spot of his own. Slippery slope.
I would say probably not. What if you sold a car mid-year and the new owner made it faster. He deserves the record and the points also. The proverbial can of worms. :D

I am fine with raising the points for a person who breaks an existing record. However I am a little leary of giving 20 points to someone who sets an open record. Perhaps keep the points at 5 for an open record. Of course 20 across the board is simple and easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...5 for an open record.
I can buy into that. Technically somebody could run a 20 second pass for one of the open records right now.

Of course, we could require that the open record be set at an E.T. matching, or MPH matching the next slower class. There are minimum speed requirements for SCTA records that are open. (Or at least there were. Haven't looked at an SCTA rule book in years.)

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

Quote:
Technically somebody could run a 20 second pass for one of the open records right now.
Ceej, Are you talking about me!! :lol: :lol:

You and I are probably looking at different ends of the record books. I may be taking my pick-up truck to some races this year and there are open 1/8 mile records. If I set one at 13 seconds in the 1/8 and send it in I would just feel funny. Not saying it is wrong at all. I just don't see that as the same amount of work it will take to break one of Mark's records. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

How about setting a qualifying record ET and MPH for a given class.

If somebody is running an open class and sets the record slower than the minimum, that would count for 5 pts. If they set it quicker, they get their full 20 pts. It's a one time deal for the year, but they could continue to bump up the record for the record books. Nothing says you can't set a record, it just doesn't count toward points for the same year.

At the same time, if somebody bumps your record out, and you take it back in the same year, what then? Would that count for a points bump? Say make it 5 pts, so long as the competitor was taking the record back, not just bumping their own record.

Or does that make the water too muddy? :lol:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:14 pm 

Car Model:
I really think we need to minimize the number of rules we have on the books. Breaking up too many rules for rookies, and new cars, and open records, and retaking a record, and everything just makes things overly complicated, in my opinion. I would keep it very simple and people will appreciate the simplicity of the rule and allow that they may not get what they want every time.

Our Slant 6 community is very civilized and fairly small, meaning that when people have a disagreement (at a race, banquet, on internet), they are essentially always able to come to an agreeable solution. In a society like this, very few rules/laws are needed to keep things operating effectively. "Inconsistencies" can largely be dealt with in the moment. My biased view...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:29 pm 

Quote:
Of course 20 across the board is simple and easy.
I can agree with Lou also and that is what I said above. I was only thinking about my old slow truck and getting 20 points for an open record. But I will take 20 if that is what we agree to! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
So you get 20 pts a year for a record.

I'm going to say make it 20 pts vs 5 pts for a open record because of the following.

Set an open record, get 5 pts.

Now the record is no longer open. And since you haven't gotten the 20 pts per year, you can still get the 20 pts for setting a record.....

Next run, you break the record you just got (no longer open) and get 20 pts.......

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I think it should be zero points for breaking a record.
The driving force is to get your name on that list. The points chase is a different game (with a lot of rules). Lets keep the record list simple.
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
From a "Points Keeper" standpoint, I like the nice & easy rule of allowing points for setting/resetting a record once per season per driver.

Whatever that point value is doesn't matter to me. Make it as simple as possible without a lot of caveats.

I think setting an open record should be allowed the same points as an existing record.

As Lou said, we're not talking hundreds (or even tens) of people scrambling for these records and we're about one of the most civilized and friendly groups I know of.

Keep it very basic in my book!

And as Will pointed out, "Points Chasers" and "Records Chasers" are usually not the same.

Lou has had the advantage of setting records AND earning points as he develops his turbo set up, but he is "unique"... :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser