Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Reed:
Quote:
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this meant that you needed to change the ignition coil when you switch from lean burn to any ignition type other than HEI, which also doesn't use a ballast resistor.
We purchased new a 1976 Cordoba with lean burn equipped 400 cid 4v engine March of that year. It was one of the first lean burn cars Chrysler built in 1976, and it was the first and only engine displacement (400 ci) that was equipped in 1976 with lean burn. It had the standard ballast resistor, and no catalytic converter.

In 1977 the lean burn system was extended to additional but not all engine displacements other than the 400, and all 1977 engines required catalytic converters. I don't know if the ballast resister was dropped in '77 or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for all the replies, for sure I am more confused now than when I initially asked the question :) but Im sure it will be all sorted out.

Yes once again Reed has gone above and beyond with helping me thru-e-mails. Im almost there to hear it started.

Post subject: Yes.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I thought that the points, EI, and lean burn coil had different resistance values and needed different rated ballast resistors to work. Have I been wrong all this time?
A long time back on usenet/newsgroups (before we had these nice boards), Ehrenberg had lined out a really nice parts list of the different resistors and their values. At one time I had a lower resistance single resistor that mopar used in their points small block V-8 4-barrel cars in my parts stash as it was recommended to use these with people "upgrading" their B block ignition system along with EI...but as noted there are different values between .5-1.5 ohms depending on the application and single or dual.

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Re: Yes.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:37 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought that the points, EI, and lean burn coil had different resistance values and needed different rated ballast resistors to work. Have I been wrong all this time?
A long time back on usenet/newsgroups (before we had these nice boards), Ehrenberg had lined out a really nice parts list of the different resistors and their values. At one time I had a lower resistance single resistor that mopar used in their points small block V-8 4-barrel cars in my parts stash as it was recommended to use these with people "upgrading" their B block ignition system along with EI...but as noted there are different values between .5-1.5 ohms depending on the application and single or dual.

-D.Idiot
If I am understanding single resistor I have one of these that came out of a different slant vehicle. I will post a pic tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
You could always ditch the resistor and go with a 3 ohm coil. It is a much cleaner setup!
I did years ago along with many other folks on this forum.
Hello Ted, ( or anyone that knows something ) can you tell me more about this, I think this would be a better alternative for me, I wouldnt have too drill holes in my firewall to mount the ballast.

Post subject: You can...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:41 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I wouldnt have too drill holes in my firewall to mount the ballast.
Mount it to the fender next to the coil and distributor as a temporary measure and conserve wiring (except for the "hot wire" from the ignition).

Then you can just take it all off as a single wired setup for later.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Hello Ted, ( or anyone that knows something ) can you tell me more about this, I think this would be a better alternative for me, I wouldnt have too drill holes in my firewall to mount the ballast.
Take a look at the pictures of my set up. Click on the red link below. Using a 3 ohm coil (that does not need a ballast resistor) then the jumper where the ballast resistor used to be mounted.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Take a look at the pictures of my set up. Click on the red link below. Using a 3 ohm coil (that does not need a ballast resistor) then the jumper where the ballast resistor used to be mounted.
Hi Ted, I have never had a ballast resistor, I sent you a response to your P.M which I will copy and paste below...........

Ok thanks Ted, just to clarify than, at this point I have/had a truck that was originally lean burn, I have removed all the lean burn components. ( including all of the wiring)

For the time being I want to run the older time points type dist, ( I will up-grade later ) I am assuming by your response that I will not need to run a ballast resistor if I get this 3 OHM coil, all I would need to do too wire this up would be too take my hot wire ( with ignition on ) and connect that directly too the positive side of my 3 OHM coil.

Then make a wire going out negative side of coil which would go directly to the dist.

Is that it??

Post subject: Re: You can...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldnt have too drill holes in my firewall to mount the ballast.
Mount it to the fender next to the coil and distributor as a temporary measure and conserve wiring (except for the "hot wire" from the ignition).

Then you can just take it all off as a single wired setup for later.

-D.Idiot
Id like not to have too drill any unnecessary holes anywhere if possible but thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:10 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
For the time being I want to run the older time points type dist, ( I will up-grade later ) I am assuming by your response that I will not need to run a ballast resistor if I get this 3 OHM coil, all I would need to do too wire this up would be too take my hot wire ( with ignition on ) and connect that directly too the positive side of my 3 OHM coil.

Sounds like a plan to get the engine running.

No holes required in the engine compartment, .... except if your running a NASCAR type ignition switch on your dash. My lighted switch is mounted below the dash.

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a plan to get the engine running.

No holes required in the engine compartment, .... except if your running a NASCAR type ignition switch on your dash. My lighted switch is mounted below the dash.
No Nascar set-up here, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Looking at your pictures Ted, the Dart looks great.

I am wondering why you still have the resistor there though, I see your quick disconnect but just would like to know why have it at all if un-neccesary? Is it needed for your other ignition?

I like your heat shield, did you notice a significant change after using it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Looking at your pictures Ted, the Dart looks great.

I am wondering why you still have the resistor there though, I see your quick disconnect but just would like to know why have it at all if un-neccesary? Is it needed for your other ignition?

I like your heat shield, did you notice a significant change after using it?
1. I have that photo for folks that are doing the conversion. The wires have been soldered permanently for years. No going back.......to using a resistor.

2. Huge difference since using the heat shield. In fact there is a larger one on there now. It is nice to have in many ways! No more heat soak!, a great shelf for sliding my gas catch bowl on when changing jets and the intake warms up much quicker for more power in the 10 degree mornings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Ok Got it thanks.......I need to find a coil locally, ( any suggestions appreciated ) this is the only thing at this point stopping me from starting the vehicle ( I believe ) Did not have two minutes today too look anywhere but hoping for better luck tomm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Ted, I called a pretty knowledgeable local Napa guy I know and he gave me a Napa part number of
Part Number: ECH IC64
Product Line: Echlin Ignition

He said internal resistor 3 OHM pretty common coil used on alot of farm equip. ect, anything that dosent have an external resistor and is running points

What do you think please :)