Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hello all. So I went to get In my truck after work today and it wouldn't turn over. The radio worked and the parking break light and annoying little buzzer all worked. So I tried to jump start it and that wouldn't work. I just figured the battery was toast so I went and wasted 70 dollars and one and that still wasn't my problem. I'm not hearing a click from the starter. I also tried wacking it with a mag light. Any suggestions? I have been driving it everyday for the past couple months and haven't had any problems with it. It's an 81 d150 all stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'd check the starter relay. Find a good multi meter and chase where your power is going and stops. The relay should be on driver side inner fender about a foot from the battery.

225, Offenhauser, Holley 350, A833OD, 3:55, GM HEI,99 Durango starter
BOOSTED! WH1C, BIG FMIC, 10#
Operation Noble Eagle 03-05
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07
Operation Enduring Freedom 12- 13

Post subject: Yep..
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:37 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I'd pull the battery cables (for safety) then clean the terminals on the starter and the starter relay, then make sure they are tight (sometimes in the cold things tend to loosen up), then reinstall the battery cables...If that doesn't cure it, do the multimeter or test light trick (or in a low tech pinch turn the key on and cross the terminals on the starter with a large screwdriver (if that doesn't light it the OEM style/probable reman starter is toast), if it starts it's time to replace the starter relay...if it is the starter now would be a good time to upgrade to the newer/better denso starter (good working junkyard unit from a 1992-1996 Dodge Dakota or Ram w/3.9L or 5.2 or 5.9L for $50 or less is good).

Good luck trouble shooting and hope it's a simple loose cable fix.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Well I already walked to the store and bought the relay since it's right around the corner. I'm gonna catch the bus to work tomorrow since I commute 20miles one way and install the relay and clean the battery cables where the ground hooks up and and the positive goes to the starter. It's been awhile since I have delt with a starter. So I can arc a screwdriver on the starter where the positive and a ground on there? This is my first dodge I have owned. I appreciate your help.

Post subject: It's...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You just cross the two terminals on the starter and it should roll over...if it just goes "click" it's either a low battery or the starter.

-D.Idiot