Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:45 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Short Version: It looks very likely that by the end of summer the manifolds that I have will be in the hands of a pattern maker, and then off to be recast. I am trying to get a count of how many people would be interested in a set for $650/pr. If so, you can post here, but please send me a PM with:
Name
Address
Telephone number
Vehicle - early A, Late A ...etc.
Restrictions - P/S, AC or intake it must work with

Long Version: I found a small foundry in Lancaster Pa that does cast iron work at a very reasonable price. They have a great reputation and they are more than willing to do"odd-ball" low volume things. So I took the manifold to them and they said that indeed they would cast them for me, but I would need to get the core boxes made. As it turns out he said that 2 of the best pattern makers that he knew of lived in Waynesboro, PA, my home town. I had no idea of course! So I went to the pattern maker and had a very nice talk with him and showed him the manifolds. He said he can do them as well as the machining work where the triangle washers go after they are cast. So barring some tragic turn of events this should happen in the Fall or Winter this year.

I will have to have a single set cast and machined and then I will mount them on some vehicle for a test run to make sure that the castings are Ok. Once I am happy that they are good then I will tell the foundry and they can cast away! :lol:

At present, I only know that they will fit a Hyper Pak intake, Clifford intake, and Weiand 4 barrel intake. I currently have the manifolds on my race car and I plan to run them for the first 2 races of this season, which will be May and June for me. Then I will remove them and will check their fitment with a factory1 barrel, 2 barrel, Offy 4 barrel, Clifford 3X2 barrel, and a Offy 2-1 barrel manifold. That should cover most manifolds.

Just for full disclosure, there will be two very slight changes made to them. First, the outlet size will be increased to 2" instead of the factory 1 7/8". Second, the outlet flange mounting tabs will be made slightly thicker to add a little bit of strength there.

I want at least 10 people up front who are dead serious about these and have the money. No wishers please. I really need to know how many people are interested at the price. I can't imagine there are not at least 20 but we shall see. Once this thing is a definite go I will probably ask for a 50% deposit with the remainder due before shipment.

I forgot to mention that you must use the "super mini" starter to have clearance around the back manifold. This is for 2005-2008 5.7L truck with manual transmission only. I paid @ $130 for mine. Advance Auto parts Part # 16054 is what I ordered. Currently Rock Auto, DENSO Part # 2804256 is about $123. You must drill the one threaded hole in the starter and use a countersunk bolt for one of the bell bolts.

There you have it! :lol: :lol:

Rick

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:48 am 

Here is the list of folks that want a set of these as of now: I will update as we go.

Rick Covalt
Ryan Covalt
Lou Madsen------2 sets
Brian Mimken
Ron Hamby
Bill Barbee
Rob Armstrong
Don Hudson
Brian Griedel
Al Cardenas ------2 sets
Leighton Drake---2 sets
Mark Goodman
Steve Magnante
Ned Branson
Mark Merritt
Frank Femling
Fanie Gerber
Mike Graff
Steve Mhitmarsh-----2 sets
Josh Picarri
Norm Foster
Mike ?? (Shimos) --3 sets

Last edited by Rick Covalt on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:35 am, edited 14 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks so much for your efforts, Rick. These are very cool units. I saw them mounted on Rick's car in January and they make for a quite tidy installation and exhaust routing.

Slant on,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
PM on the way

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
How cool! I can't commit the $ right now, but I'll be keeping a keen eye on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
How cool! I can't commit the $ right now, but I'll be keeping a keen eye on this.
Ditto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Er…I just had another thought, wondering if this front-3 casting might offer more clearance for things like P/S, A/C, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Sorry Rick, I am just in the Dreaming Stage right now. This seems like a Really Cool Project you've undertaken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:19 am 

Car Model:
Dan,

If you are interested to possibly get this made, I suggest you talk to Rick right away, and consider sending him your manifold for side-by-side comparison. You can trust him with your life.

Best,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:40 am 

Here is the fitment of the Hyperpaks on my 65 Valiant. It is hard to tell by photo, but it looks like Dan's is actually out farther than the Hyperpak at the rear. But maybe not. I will be happy to look at them side by side, but I am guessing that the people that are buying a set of these manifolds will want the full set of Hyperpak ones. Not a mixed set.
I see the hyperpak as being a little different niche. It covers the "Oh wow those are Hyperpak manifolds" as well as being a great performance upgrade. A mixed set will not be a "hyperpak". No offense meant to anyone.

The second photo is front to rear looking past the PS gear. Some have asked if it will fit with P/S and I do not know the answer to that 100%. Once they come back off my car I can try and find a PS, early A body to check them on, but I do not have one personally. I can only say it looks like they should, but it will need some more investigation. If someone can give me the size of the P/S gear with some reference points I can measure it while it is in my car.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 pm 

Car Model:
Thanks, Rick. It looks like PS is no problem to me. I have a 64 K frame with a Slant 6 and PS bolted to it sitting on my garage floor, and I could do a test fit in a jiffy. Dan, this applies to your manifold as well, if you want to send yours to me. I could plop the Sanden AC unit on there too to check that.

Very interested in the 1/4 mile times on that car and engine compared to the long tube headers...

One question: How the heck did they fit those hpak exh manifolds onto the 170 as far as starter clearance?? I guess those had the older starter type, but still...

It also occurred to me that the few of us with "low starter" Slant/trans combos will have no trouble with using an old gear reduction or mini starter. This would include 727 and A500-type apps with factory adapter plate, 11" clutch BH factory apps, and GM-Wilcap adapter plate apps.

Best,
Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It looks like it would be a tight fit with PS. I believe Charrlie_S said Clifford shortie headers won't fit without modification on a 225 with PS.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
It looks like it would be a tight fit with PS. I believe Charrlie_S said Clifford shortie headers won't fit without modification on a 225 with PS.
It may be car specific then. I ran a 225 in a 71 duster with power steering. I don't remember the exacts. It was close... the tube went right over the dome thingy on the power steering box. Maybe 1/2" clearance, bit more perhaps, but it was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:41 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I would only be interested in a fancy reproduction manifold if it was guaranteed to clear PS and AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i would pull the trigger on a set if it would accept factory 2 bbl or offy 2-1. I look forward to your progress.