Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:25 pm 
Hey guys. I have been reading through all this great info for the last couple months, and finally decided to introduce myself. I have a 67 Belvedere II Convertible with a /6. At first, I was kinda bummed it was a six, you fellas have started to turn me around. I was wondering if any of you know anybody that has a 67 ragtop with a slant... trying to get a feel for how unique this thing is. I also thought I would ask for your ideas about stepping up the six. I would love to increase the performance, but I am not sure that my heave b-body (made heavier with the convertible) is worth the work and money. So, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:44 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Jonathan,

This sounds like a really interesting car. The B-Body cars of this era were really attractive, and the convertable/slant combination makes it all the more different.

If I was in your shoes, I would be focusing on fixing the handling and braking first, and then I would look at fuel injection and maybe a turbo after that. My strategy is to bring it up to more modern standards of drivability, handling, and safety.

Sounds like fun! You have something special here.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
It's a lot more unique than if it had a 318 in it. I've noticed the Charger R/T guys with 440-4, 440-6 and Hemis pay little attention to 318 or 383 Chargers but they take notice when they see one with a slant6.

I'd take a slant6 Belvedere over a 318 powered one any day.

BTW, I notice your name. There was a Johnny Bolton Ford dealership in Orlando years ago. JB had a real P-51 Mustang. He died when he crashed it. I think that was back in the mid 70s.

Cecil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
A few numbers for you:

A couple sources say that only 1552 1967 Belvedere II convertaibles were made (no break down of how many slants vs. V - 8 's).

Shipping weight (who knows how this is computed... they say my '76 duster weighs 2975...but the weigh station says 'loaded' = 3455 lbs....)....

Anyhow your 'shipping weight' is: 3120 lbs....

This would be closer in actual 'road' weight to my Hyperpaked Feather Duster....

You can easily make it a 'fun' car by checking your rear gear ratio and changing it to something along the lines of 3.23 gearing (I'd bet it's got 2.76's if you have the automatic...),and getting a super six to start with....if you're going to rebuild the engine, then your wallet and driving needs will be the limit, if you go that far I would agree with Gmader, upgrading from 10" 4 wheel drums with a single pot master cylinder to at least a dual pot to start and front disks later would be nice....

Your car will be a head turner at mopar events, it's pretty 'unique'. Rebuild the slant put in a mild street cam and dual webers...you might have a mob lookin' under your hood at the next car show....

welcome to the board,

-DusterIdiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:36 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Sweet...another B body slant! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:15 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
:wink: Hey D.I.,66 was the last year for the single master cyl. as per federal standards..........Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:14 am 
Guru

Car Model:
The last 67 convert I had was a Barracuda, it was a interesting car seeing it had a SL6, PS, AT Disc Brakes and the 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears.
I sold that car in 1998, fully restored (#2 condition) for 7K
You have a special car so try to keep it that way. It would be a shame to see it get converted over to a V8. (like so many other SL6 cars end-up)
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:58 pm 
Good insight, fellas. Thanks. Doesn't sound like any of you know anyone who has another one of these. That's pretty interesting to me. I am planning on keeping it a six. I am still not sure if I am going to do anything to the engine. I am just not sure if it will be worth it or not. The thing drives fine right now. Any ideas what this car is worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:00 am 
Oh yeah - BTW, Cecil - no relation to Johnny. That's funny though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:00 am 
let me be the first to say that I know it's possible,but find it hard to believe...does anyone know of standard 318's being reduced to 6's on the window sticker or buildsheet. I would have thought that the belve II was a medium priced car offered w standard 318. Of course being a 66,would be the wide block 318.But these mid 60's vehicles will probably always remain a mystery considering most of the focus is on later models ,,,,,but why????Everyone is into the early 60's max wedges,. So here we have an environment where we can focus on whatever we choose.............!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:05 am 
sorry. thought it was a 66.that leads me to the 67 318 vs 273 question............................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:44 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:
let me be the first to say that I know it's possible,but find it hard to believe...does anyone know of standard 318's being reduced to 6's on the window sticker or buildsheet. I would have thought that the belve II was a medium priced car offered w standard 318. Of course being a 66,would be the wide block 318.But these mid 60's vehicles will probably always remain a mystery considering most of the focus is on later models ,,,,,but why????Everyone is into the early 60's max wedges,. So here we have an environment where we can focus on whatever we choose.............!!!
The 1966 Belvedere II came with a slant six or a 273 V8 as standard equipment. Optional engines included the 318, 361, 383 and 426 hemi. The same engine were available in the Belvedere I.

The Belvedere Satellite was not availale with the slant six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:18 am 
Which makes it hard to understand why it is so tough to find a 67 Belve II convertible with a slant... I have not been able to find one left in the US! Is there any way to figure out how many 67 convertibles are left, and how many of those are /6?