Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 8 1/4" replacement axles
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:18 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Any body know of any new replacement axle shafts (short of 600.00 racing units) for an a-body 8 1/4" axle, looking for both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:12 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Does anyone know the axle shaft lengths for A-body, 8 1/4" axle, measured from end of splines to outside of brake hub flange (please state if you measured parallel to axle shaft or diagonal from edge of flange to end of splines)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I can measure mine tomorrow any which way you want (they are out of the housing).

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:18 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
From brake drum surface to end of the splined end. You could put a straight edge against the splined end so tape measure is parallel to shaft. I am planning on narrowing a Dakota axle so I can use the speed sensor to run 95 360 EFI in the 68 Dart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Is the tone ring the only reason for the Dakota axle? You can get an electronic speed sensor that fits the transmission assuming it's the '66+ trans. My '96 Dakota with an AX15 had one. I even have a spare if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Installing the complete engine and trans from 95 van, and I guess that's the power steering set this swap requires. If I can still use your speed sensor that would be a plus, we have a line on a decent a-body axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:51 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I think the 91-96 (at least) trans. Has a speed sensor for the governor and valve body pressures but they also need one for speedo and engine management which is the rear axle one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 pm 
Supercharged

Are you sure? My Dakota used the trans sensor for the ECU and speedometer. The axle tone ring was strictly for the ABS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:38 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Where the earlier different? I am sure about my brothers 1999 Dakota and my 2000 ram, he went into limp mode 2 times and it was that and my speedo was only working above 45 mph and the rear sensor fixed it.

Does an explorer rear axle have a tone ring? Is the sensor compatible with mopar ecu?

I understand the modern instrumentation runs off the same voltage (5) as the old but also the ecu and dash can be separated at least in the 91 - 96 version so that makes the wiring just a few power and ground connections (through relays) but I think I will start a thread on the fuel injection forum for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 am 
Supercharged

My Dakota was a '96. I don't know about the sensors on the later transmissions and it may have been eliminated in favor of the tone ring in the axle.

Yes, the Explorers with ABS have a tone ring. It's probably also a Hall-Effect sensor, but what are the odds on the tooth count being correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I found some axles at http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/dodge-car- ... -pair.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
icepaddles wrote:
From brake drum surface to end of the splined end. You could put a straight edge against the splined end so tape measure is parallel to shaft.

Sorry to take so long on getting the measurement. From brake drum surface to end of splined end is 28 inches. I placed a straight edge on top of the splined end and measured from the end of the axle where the brake drum rides to the top of the splines. Hope this helps and is not too late for you to use.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:41 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Here are the replacement axles for 8 1/4" housings. Just click on the correct section.

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/dodge-car- ... -pair.html

Post subject: Holy shoot...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:08 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Love that data chart... some of the years and models are wrong... some really good misspelling.... I'm not sure how they thought a Road Runner/Satellite was an A-body...ever... Yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
That's a strange one, I just bought a month plan on eautorepair.net, for the 95 van motor and tranny swap that this rear is destined for, looks like the limp mode is somehow "produced" by the abs control, if the rear abs sensor fails it must send a pulse or voltage that the pcm circuitry reads to send into limp mode probably don't need a tone ring in the rear to do the swap, 91-95 engine with trans. body.
The abs control has only one wire going to pcm and that wire also goes to brake pedal.
The rear sensor is wired into the abs control (both wires) and it may be in there the computer gets sent a partial voltage from control circuit, I had to look because the sensor wires don't go to the pcm but if sensor fails, limp mode ensues.
I will test the wire going from abs control to the pcm/brake switch on my ram 2500, if it has voltage I will need a tone ring.