Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:13 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Can anyone shed some light on the easiest (haha) route to going manual from auto?

I have a '60 valiant with a 170cdi & three speed auto. I like manual transmissions, always preferred them, except when I am drinking coffee and driving-don't drink and drive.

4 or 5 speeds, whatever is easiest.

I have read through the transmission stuff on this site but have not found info on pre 64 cars. I know its prolly here but I couldn't find it.

"Ignorance is not bliss" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
This is going to be a custom installation no matter how you slice it. Probably the "least difficult" and least costly option might be a Chrysler A833 4-speed transmission, either the regular or overdrive-4th variety. You'd need a '60-'62 A-body swing pedal assembly and all clutch linkage, as well as the proper bellhousing. You'd need the floor hump "tunnel" section to accommodate the shifter; a suitable one can be had new in the aftermarket. You'd need the shifter (if I were doing such a swap, I'd hunt up the "charmed snake" shift lever from a '60-'61 Valiant/Lancer and figure out a way to put it on the 4-speed shifter).

Other options? Numerous! There exists a bellhousing to install a very robust Toyota Celica 5-speed behind the slant, for example...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:21 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
There exists a bellhousing to install a very robust Toyota Celica 5-speed behind the slant, for example...

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Arrrgh, y'gonna make me dig it up! :shock: It comes from Australia. Lemme see here...

Got it! It comes from these people.

There is also this thread (offsite) which lists a whackload of 5-speeds that'll bolt up to a Chrysler A/LA V8 or 3.9 V6 with a particular stock production bellhousing. There have been factory and aftermarket (AREngineering) A/LA-to-slant-6 adaptors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:11 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Arrrgh, y'gonna make me dig it up! :shock: It comes from Australia. Lemme see here...

Sorry, just thought maybe I had missed something in my research. :)

SlantSixDan wrote:
Got it! It comes from these people.

Yep, saw that one. For a slant, the W58 would be about the best fit, strength and size wise. Only two problems with that setup; price ($750 before shipping, IIRC), and the fork is on the wrong side. Might be able to make a hydraulic cylinder work to actuate the fork, but the cost turned me off.

The W58 out of the Celica would be great, but I couldn't make one work with a custom bell. The input shaft is too short for an adapter (without a 2" thick flywheel :shock: ) so you would have to cut the bell to trans bolts into the stock /6 bell. I have pictures of one setup where this was done, but I think you would need some kind of big CNC mill to get the input shaft centered on crank. Had to take the W58 I bought for less than $50 back because I couldn't make it work.

SlantSixDan wrote:
There is also this thread (offsite) which lists a whackload of 5-speeds that'll bolt up to a Chrysler A/LA V8 or 3.9 V6 with a particular stock production bellhousing. There have been factory and aftermarket (AREngineering) A/LA-to-slant-6 adaptors...

They list a bell in that thread for a 2.2/2.5 motors as well. Seen a 2.5 with a DOHC head (2.4 hybrid) and an R154 in a RWD Shadow put down something like 300 hp to the tires.

IMO, the easiest 5 speed swap would be a V8 T5. My R154 should work well, but it has been far from simple. I think I still have less in it than the $800 T5 I was able to find would have cost me, but it's not been a slam dunk.

'74 Duster 360, factory 4 speed car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:11 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank you I appreciate the advice.
So as far as the A833 to the 170 is concerned.
Am I correct in assuming that using the earliest trans with the same bellhousing (same year/donor car) will bolt right up to the 170?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:53 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Saw this old thread.
I remember some dissuading words from the Dr. and others regarding my swapping an A904 trans for the 3 speed from another '61 Valiant.
I'm curious if anyone knows examples of a smooth A833 install in an early '60-'62 Valiant.

I've got my eye on a 4 speed on craigslist...

What exact bell housing is needed for a 170cc? This seller has a few.

What other floor modifications need to be made (other than the hole for the hump)? I've heard of some possible sawz-alling to the firewall. Is this true?

What type of clutch linkage modifications need to be made?
I have an entire clutch linkage assembly for a three speed. What else will I need?

Again, if anyone has working examples of this 4 speed conversion in a '60-'62 Valiant, please do share!

Thanks!

You better believe us!
Better trust us!
Teenage jive!
Walking wreck!"

-Circle Jerks "Wild in the Streets" 1988

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:15 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi sages- seems to me the easiest adaptation in these early valiants would be to find(and it may be very difficult) a 3spd manual trans from a 60 61 vintage valiant or lancer. i had one of these and the floor shifter i recall did not require a special hump in the floor. such a fabrication requires a lot of technical modification. the 61 floor was the same on the auto or manual version. the little round rubber floor boot sat right next to the hump.the setup had 2 unique to this model, characteristics. first the trans itself was slanted to the right with the engine and the levers for the floorshift were slanted upward to the floor tunnel. the design allowed just enough room for operating the shift. later models of the floorshift trans(inland and hurst shifters) were not slanted (70-80) nor was the shifter itself, requiring the hump modification. that shifter on the 60 and 61 was very simple and durable. mine never jammed up as column and floor shifters can often do and shifts were very light and smooth. uncle dan had one of these models but i think it was an automatic. that curved charmed snake shift lever was very convenient and curved to lay right on the seat in 1st and 3d. the trans had no synchro in 1st so you had to double clutch it to smoothly get first if rolling. few young sages here would remember that but bet my uncle d would. hope you liked my $.02 . regards bob f

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:41 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks for the reply Bob!
I do in fact have 3 speed trans from a '61, the bell housing, all the clutch linkage and pedal box, the charmed snake shifter, and the accordion rubber boot!
I salvaged all of this from my first attempted toad project.
I ended up finding a push button '61 at a good price in much better condition.
The main selling point was this better car actually had a very rare...FUEL TANK! Holy hell, are those hard to find!
Anyway....
I actually don't mind the non synchro 1st gear 3-speed all that much, and I have one ready to put in, and it is cool (as you pointed out) that there's a hole in the floor ready for install from the factory...but people here on the forum were saying, why go through the work of pulling out a far superior A904 slushbox, to put in a non-syncho 3 speed, and you might as well put in an A833?!
I suppose I do see the logic in the four speed upgrade, but I'm just curious who has done it, and how smoothly it went for the install.
I know some floor modification would have to be done (as the a833 isn't slanted the same way to the bell housing). I'm curious how the linkage lines up at the clutch fork and elsewhere, and what exact 4 speed bell housing is needed.
Does anyone have a working examples of a '60-'62 with a 4-speed?
Thanks!

-Zach Blizzard

Hand full of valiums!

Couple of beers really do me right!

You better believe us!

Better trust us!

Teenage jive!

Walking wreck!"

-Circle Jerks "Wild in the Streets" 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi blizzard- would suspect swapping in an a833 4 spd with or without od to your early valiant would involve making alterations to the bell housing, clutch fork, shifter or shift linkage and cutting and welding the floor pan since the 4 spd is bigger and not slanted. might even have to alter the cross member supporting the trans and the driveshaft connection. all undesirable mods. have removed and replaced 4spd od trans in fbody aspens and late model dusters and all had the widened floor hump. since you have the 61 manual trans parts, that would seem a much easier replacement . besides consider all the happiness you will get when you amaze some onlookers and annoy the rest as you clutch pop it around town. priceless. watch it. some watchers may say, what a cheap bastid. regards bob f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:17 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I put an 833OD in my 62, send me a pm if interested in the details.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:22 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi exner g- do know the 62 valiants and lancers went to a column shift on the manuals. not very familiar with them, but curious as hell. did you have to do a lot of modification to the floor, etc.? guessing the floor pan was the same in this model 60-62. thanks bob f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I had to cut one hole in the forward part of the tunnel to clear the 4 speed case and provide access to the shift levers and then another smaller one behind the cross member where the shifter bolts to the rear of the tail housing. I am not sure but I believe the floor pan is basically the same as the early models, difference is the trans is not rolled over on the 62.