Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Happy days are here again!

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Thanks Rob! I appreciate you guys letting me win all those rounds last weekend...... It was really a morale booster. :lol: I was just about to sell my 4 slant 6 vehicles and start racing a ford mustang. :shock: But then Dad thought he'd red light for me, so I could win a round.... and Rob let everyone else win out of the goodness of his heart, and now I feel so much better and look how happy Mark is now. :lol: What would really make me feel good is if you all decided to let me win at Clay City when we race too. :wink:

In all seriousness though. I'm very excited for the rest of the season and am looking forward to some good, fun, competitive racing at the rest of the races this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:43 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
This Slanted exchange warms my heart... Love those last few sentences, Ryan.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I'm glad Mark is happy again. It was really bothering me that I was causing him so much consternation (that means he wasn't happy, Cookie :wink: ). Maybe subconsciously that's why I lost... :? :lol:

I'll give him another 2 weeks or so before I try to win a couple more rounds at Knoxville and see if I can take the lead back from you, Ryan. :wink:

Then we'll roll into Clay City (where I'm expected to be a good host and let others win... :roll: :lol: ) I'll probably be pretty distracted as well.

I'm gonna do my best to give you a run for your money! Fun stuff!! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Woodburn II
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The Killer Bees continue to struggle with car counts and getting a Slant 6 race in the books. Three racers represented the Slanted Family at the Mopar Nationals at Woodburn, OR on 22 July. With only three cars they just ran in the street class and collected another five attendance points each.

Doug Powers, Mike Bjerklund and Dave Mueller each climbed a spot on the board.

The next races coming up are 4-5 August at Samoa, CA where hopefully the Killer Bees can come up with a swarm. Then the following weekend there is Knoxville, TN 10-11 August along with yet another Woodburn race 11-12 August. Maybe the third time will be the charm there.

Here are the updated points with Woodburn II.

Attachments:
Points thru Woodburn II.JPG
Points thru Woodburn II.JPG [ 118.63 KiB | Viewed 8911 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Since racers are helping other racers this season, how about letting Team Green make it to the finals at Clay City.
Wouldn't that be great and I could stay happy.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:09 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That would be great and we like to see you happy Mark. :wink:

I was going to smack talk about Ron Hamby and the Wilkesboro race and accuse him of not being a good host and letting other people win.... Then I realized that he did let Ryan win both of the Wilkesboro races Friday night. He waited until Saturday for the Mason-Dixon make-up race hosted by Rick Covalt to spank everyone! :twisted:

I guess I'm not off the hook to let y'all win at Clay City after all... :roll: :lol:

Would it be okay if I were to get maybe to the semi-finals though...? :D

I do plan to cause you more distress concerning my placement in the National Championship, Mark! Fair warning! :twisted: :twisted:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Predictions.....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I had made some predictions in the first post of the season:

Quote:
1. We will have the biggest turnout in our 20 year history at Clay City this year... Duh! :lol:

2. We will see at least 3 and more likely 5 of our racers return to either race or just hang out. I'm talking about folks that haven't raced with us for many years... Jim Cox, Ron Parker, Charles Myers, Barry Harrison, Joel Harris... Maybe even Howard Davis if I can twist his arm hard enough...

3. What else... Oh yeah! Records! Lots and lots of records will be set this year... One of 'em might even be me! :shock:

4. We're also gonna have more Rookies this year than ever before!

I'm confident that we're on track for #1. :wink:

We are still a little shy on the Return Racers, but I'm hoping Clay City will fix that one too. Most of the names I mentioned above will most likely not be able to attend after all, but we have had two former racers come back out this year. Joel Harris hadn't raced with us since 2007 and John Guthrie hadn't joined us since 2008. Welcome back to both of you! :D
(If you're one of those former racers and you're sitting there at your computer reading this... Help me make this prediction and show up at Clay City! I only need one more... three would be better... :D )

Ryan and Lou are off to a good start with adding records to the books in 2018 and Charlie Schmid is thrashing wildly and blowing things up with nitrous to get ready for some record runs. Team Green will show up at Clay City with probably three vehicles set on kill to set records in three different classes. That's just how they roll. :wink: I'm determined to set a record this year as well. Not just 'cuz I said I wuz, but 'cuz I need them 20 bonus points to keep up with Ryan! :shock: :lol:

Rookies... I maybe should have checked my numbers before making that prediction... So far we're only at three... I'm confident that number will soar at Clay City, but we won't come close to my prediction of "more than ever before." Back in 2006-2008 we had a big growth spurt for Slant 6 racing with our biggest number of Rookies in 2007 with 43! :shock: 2006 and 2008 both had 33.
The cool thing about Rookies is that we see the next generations being brought into the fold. Parker Hamby is leading the chase so far. Parker is Ron's grandson and Ron's son, Dale, was Rookie of the Year last year. Laney Heisten is Rusty's daughter. That Old Fox Meril Bruner has passed the keys of his Funny Truck down to his grandson Isaiah who will likely make his debut next week at Knoxville.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Updated points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The Samoa race was cancelled and Woodburn III had 4 racers representing the Slant 6 in the Flathead/Inliners event. There were 9 racers at Knoxville Saturday, but the track had some issues and called the event just a few minutes before the Slant 6 class was called up for the first round of eliminations. Charlie, Jack Jr. and Rob stopped by the closed track on Friday looking for their attendance points. :lol: The Knoxville race will tentatively be rescheduled for 27 October.

We can add another "Return Racer" to my predictions list. Larry Chesney hasn't raced with us since 2012, but decided this was the year to dust off his '64 Dart and come back out and Run with the Slants! He and wife Ellen plan to attend Clay City as well.

Here are the updated points with Knoxville and Woodburn III:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:27 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The next races on the calendar are Sacramento and the big 20 year Racer's Reunion at Clay City on 8 September. The aborted Knoxville race is rescheduled to 27 October and the track owner has told the Bruners that he will let us get both races done that day.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject: Clay City points
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

The Clay City Racer's Reunion was a huge success!! Even with the ugly weather forecast we had 37 Racers there and 36 made the ladder!! :shock: :D

Here are the points earned at Clay City. More commentary and the National points update coming shortly...

Attachments:
Clay City Points.JPG
Clay City Points.JPG [ 49.63 KiB | Viewed 8548 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

There were 37 Racers at the big Racer’s Reunion in Clay City, KY this weekend! People towed in from 14 different states and from as far away as Florida, Missouri, Minnesota and Iowa!

In an effort to re-live that “Magic Moment” from Clay City 20 years ago there were three racers from that event that brought back the cars that were there.

Team Green is back in full force and had 5 cars there all the way from Carthage, MO. Back in the day Team Green was known for their matching Lime Green 61 Lancer and 62 Valiant pushing the envelope and using innovative ideas.

The Lancer has been back now for a few years setting records with Rusty Heisten at the wheel. Over the last year or so Mark Goodman has been quietly working on the Valiant for Wes Alumbaugh so they could bring back the Team for this event. A cool added twist is that they found the supercharged engine out of the late Dale Rose’s Plymouth Arrow to power the Valiant. Wes hasn’t raced with us since 2001!

Mark and his wife Dixie drove their 66 Dart wagon all the way from Carthage and James Soard brought his 64 Valiant wagon. Both cars came from the estate of the late Bob Stepp who was a major part of supporting this racing series for many years.

Laney Heisten was the fifth car in the Team Green contingent with her 63 Dart running mid 14s Friday night at test & tune. Laney was set to take the lead for Rookie of the Year until she blew a head gasket. Rusty and team crew chief Jeff Strahl started to replace it with a gasket from Rick Covalt, but they couldn’t determine the exact cause of the failure. They decided to err on the side of caution to prevent any further engine damage and called it in.

Another car that was there in 1998 and was the low qualifier was the 68 Valiant “Buzzin’ Half Duzzin’” driven by Mike Jeffrey. Mike mothballed the Valiant several years ago to focus on racing a Mirada in Stock Eliminator. When he decided to retire from all racing a couple years ago his long-time friend Dennis Schumers bought the Valiant and thrashed over the last several months to be able to bring the car to the reunion. Dennis even found a striped shirt just like Mike and partner Blaine Mueller used to wear. Dennis hasn’t raced with us since 2011, so it was great to see him wheeling such an iconic Slant 6 car!

The third blast from the past and an awesome surprise for everyone was Barry Harrison and his 66 Valiant “Six Pak”. Barry hasn’t raced with us since 2008 and wasn’t expected to be at Clay City. The car needed new lexan and Barry was reported as wanting to sell it, so it was really cool to see him pull through the gate ready to race! He had a nitrous bottle hooked up and was ready to show Howard Davis how that “baby bottle” could put his front tires in the air and take him to the winner’s circle again. Barry said it was good to be back and we could look forward to seeing him and the “Six Pak” at future races running the number. Are you reading this, Howard? Clay City 2019… :twisted:

There were three first time Slant 6 racers added to the Rookie roster at Clay City. Two that were brand new to drag racing and one very familiar with the quarter mile.

Frank Femling (moparfrank) joined us from Hastings, MN with his 54 Plymouth 2 door custom wagon. He also brought his big block powered Nostalgia Super Stock 66 Dart wagon to run in the Box class.

Dennis Morris drove his 64 Valiant convertible from Strongsville, OH to bang gears with his three on the tree!

Liz Mader had never drag raced before and was a little nervous before her first round of test & tune Friday night, but as soon as she was past her first time jitters she was seen making round after round in her 65 Valiant. She even donned a cool retro American flag helmet for the race Saturday.

The Race for the Championship had Jackie Everhardt III winning three rounds to take the third spot from his dad and threaten the Poser from Kentucky for second. The top two spots stayed the same with both Ryan and Rob winning one round.

At Pizza Hut after the race Jackie and Rob were seen scheming in the corner about setting nitrous records for those 20 bonus points to try and catch Ryan. Meanwhile, Ryan was casually enjoying his pizza nearby with Whitney and their super cute daughters. It’s a good thing those bonus points are capped at once per season, because Ryan re-set another one this weekend!

Attachments:
Points thru CC 1.JPG
Points thru CC 1.JPG [ 73.77 KiB | Viewed 8536 times ]
Points thru CC 2.JPG
Points thru CC 2.JPG [ 67.41 KiB | Viewed 8536 times ]

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:11 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks a bunch for the points rundown and race reports, and of course for organizing the event.

Did anyone go back to the track to put their wheels on the property and get 5 pts for Sunday? I did not. Just curious, as that would have been allowed...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:33 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Doh! :shock: I hadn't thought of that... :? I guess I'll just have to go to Mason-Dixon and Knoxville then... :D

I think Joel Harris left his car at the track until Sunday... No idea about anyone else...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
Thanks for the update Rob and for putting together a great event. BEST RAINOUT EVER! It really was a great time.

I picked the car up Sunday....more out of necessity because Whitney had the tow vehicle. I wasn't sure what the decision was on attendance points but it made the most sense for me to get the car Sunday morning before the rain came. So whatever the leaders of the slant six world decide about points is fine with me.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next