Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Just picked up a cable-shift 904 for potential use as a spare or parts source. Stamped number on the side of the pan rail reveals the following original application, per SlantSixDan.
2466118: A904 for 1965 B- and C-body cars with 225 engine. Flange output shaft for ball/trunnion front U-joint, twin-cable shift.

My first question is if I can slap a shorter '65 A-body tailshaft and extension housing on this transmission without too much fuss. Or would the main case and the rest of the internals be different between A and B/C bodies?

If the above is possible, would it also be possible with a '64 or earlier tailshaft and extension housing (with a bushing on the tailshaft instead of a roller bearing)? Based on the discussion in this thread, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Barring both of the above, is there any chance this B/C-body 904 would have the heavier-duty clutch drums that can fit one more clutch disc apiece? Or any other parts I should steal to rebuild my spare A-body 904?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:46 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I am not aware of any 904 trans that is any shorter than the standard length ones (or longer for that matter).
The 904 that came out of my 65 Belvedere (slant six-B body)did not have anything special in it. I scavenged it looking for good stuff to use in a racing trans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:10 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I have a cable shift 904 that has a extension housing and tail shaft that is about 5 inches longer then the "A" body 904.
Don't know what it is from, and can't get to the pan rail numbers to check.

Frank, I don't know for sure, but I think if you swap out the complete tailshaft and ext housing it will interchange. If you try, let me know if it works.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:56 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
The only A-body 904 parts I have to try the tailshaft swap are '64, which I'm guessing won't work due to differences in how the end play is set (per your discussion with Chuck in that 2014 thread I linked in my original post). When we get around to rebuilding our spare '64 A-body trans, I'll plan to tear this one down in parallel to see what parts interchange. All I really need at this point is a spare case to replace the one I have with a cracked bellhousing. For now I know the torque converter swaps over, which I expected. (Unfortunately this torque converter was full of chocolate milk, so it might not be any good.)

For reference, the main transmission case of this '65 B- or C-body 904, measured from the front of the bellhousing to the rear mating surface where the extension housing bolts up, is just about 16". Maybe a hair less. This matches the main case length of the '64 A-body 904 I also have sitting in my garage.

The extension (tailshaft) housings are a different story. The '65 B/C-body extension housing is about 18" long while the '64 A-body version is about 12". Granted this is slightly apples-to-oranges because I know the '65 A-body extension housing is almost an inch longer than the '64 to accommodate the roller bearing. More details in this thread, if anyone's curious. (To help confirm the year, I can also tell by looking at this B/C-body trans that it has a rear seal that rides on the output flange rather than the tailshaft itself, much like the '65 A-body trans I ended up installing in my Valiant.)