Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Adjustment help
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart
I just finished putting a 2bbl intake and Carter BBD, along with a set of Clifford headers on my sons 67 Dart. I put an electric choke on it and think I’ve got things working decent. Car starts easy and idles nice, choke is working like it should. If I try to accelerate hard from a stand still it will cough, hesitate, and sputter for a second and then run pretty hard. I’ve got a guy that is going to come set up the carb using a vacuum gauge, but I’m wondering if it could be a timing issue. I have not adjusted timing since I’ve made all the changes. Any thoughts? If it is timing, would it be more likely that I need to advance it or retard it?

Post subject: Re: Adjustment help
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Is it a 318 BBD or a slant six BBD? If the engine did not hesitate on accleration before the swap then timing is not an issue. Did you hook the vacuum advance up to the correct port on the carb?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 am 
1 BBL (New)

The carb came on the intake that I used. It appeared to have been original to the intake. I was thinking maybe the switch from 1bbl to 2bbl and headers may require a timing adjustment to deal with the increased fuel and air. I rebuilt the carb, maybe I need to raise the float a little.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:34 am 
1 BBL (New)

Also I checked to make sure vacuum advance was hooked up correctly. No vacuum at idle, plenty as soon as I touch the pedal. I also sucked on the hose leading to the distributor and it seemed to have resistance so I think the diaphragm is at least good in the advance.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Make certain that the accelerator pump on the carb is working and if so, adjust the linkage as needed. This sounds more like a carb (accelerator pump) issue than timing.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Carburtor adjustment and rebuild manuals and videos are available for free HERE

Sounds to me like you need to (at the very least) verify all settings on the carb, especially the metering rods. The last factory Super Six was installed 37 years ago, so who knows what carb was sold to you with that manifold. If it were me, I would take the time to do a full teardown and rebuild after verifying that I had a carburetor inteded for use on a slant six. There are internal calibration differences as well as external physical differences between the v-8 and six cylinders carbs that make using a v-8 carb difficult, but not impossible.

Download and read the BBD manual in that thread I linked.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: '64 Valiant Convertible
X 2 on the accelerator pump. If it is old, it may be worn. Or out of adjustment.

With the engine off, can you look down the throat of the carb and verify a good healthy squirt of fuel?

When you crack open the throttle from idle, you introduce a big gulp of air to the intake. If there isn't a squirt of fuel to mix with it the mixture becomes lean and the car falls on its face.

That is where I'd look first.

Please let us know what you find.