Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: 225...it dies!
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Hey Louis76, you've got a PM...………..

Lycoming exhaust valves are sodium filled. Continental isn't.

Lycoming exhaust valves run hotter than Continental.

8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Louise76 wrote:
The cheap ones start at around $100.00 each.

Not to hijack this thread, but that price is not necessarily do to quality. I had to do a repair on a twin engine aircraft, some years ago. Actually I had to "supervise" the aircraft mechanic, as I was A/C certified, and he was not. The A/c system is the same as on a car (sanden compressor and all else). Needed a expansion valve and drier, which I had on my truck. Could not use them, as they were not FAA certified. Had to order and the price of the parts was 5 times what I would have charged, plus overnite shipping, and the aircraft being grounded for an additional 2 days. The parts were the same brand and part number as mine, but the boxes were stamped in red ink "FAA certified".

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
True, Charrlie. The standard answer to the parts pricing is that the AC Delco part goes through a quality control inspection and gets its Cessna part number, making it now FAA certified. (What do you mean that Cessna never took it out of the sealed bag???) FAA certified mechanics are not necessarily certified to handle A/C systems, but must know something about those systems if they need servicing. That's when we call in the experts, like you, to do the job correctly. But we are still responsible for signing off the work in the aircraft logbooks. I'm very thankful for A/C folks who know more than I who are pro's at their job. Our local trusted A/C shop always got a kick out of working on the system with that big 6 foot propeller spinning around next to them. Definitely not boring.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:18 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If you guys think aircraft parts are expensive and require a lot of paperwork....just try fixing something in the containment area of a nuclear plant, lol. You'll have a whole new understanding of paperwork and certs.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
GregCon wrote:
If you guys think aircraft parts are expensive and require a lot of paperwork....just try fixing something in the containment area of a nuclear plant, lol. You'll have a whole new understanding of paperwork and certs.

This makes sense. If a car engine melts down, you are stuck on the side of the road. If a plane engine breaks own, you either don't get of the ground or you might die in a crash. If a nuclear reactor melts down, all life on the planet could end. I am watching the "Chernobyl" miniseries right now and it is truly terrifying. If we are going to have nuclea power plants, I have no problem spending the money and time to ensure they have quadruple redundancy and are as inspected as possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Since others have reportedly used these seals on exhaust valves with no issue, I'm guessing the lack of valve guide oiling is less of a problem with bronze bushings? They'd probably wear out faster, but at least you wouldn't see galling.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 am 
Turbo Slant 6

This probably will be one of those failures that is never fully identified. I took the head to the machine shop yesterday, they called today after disassembly and said one of the other exhaust valves was on its way and the others didn't look great either. The intakes were OK still. Once the new valves arrive (today) it'll go back together with the umbrella seals....if it fails after that then we'll know whatever is wrong, it's my fault lol. I might look up the spec on the 'wiggle test' where you use a dial indicator to measure play in the stem....but I still think the clearance is in spec based on how it felt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Well....the engine is back together and running well. Now we just have to see for how long lol. It's kinda funny...I removed the head and replaced it and it went back together so closely that the valves didn't need any readjustment.

As a side note...it's amazing that cars like this were actually produced by the thousands and handed over to the general public as daily transportation. It really drives home the point that the world is a different place than it was in 1968.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
And in 1968 almost every neighborhood had a gas station with a service bay and folks familiar with dwell meters, feeler gauges and torque wrenches. As a young man a good friend of mine used to manage a gas station in Glendale, California in those days. He's 71 now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:20 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Yep. Just imagine the average person of today taking their car in every 2 or 3 months for a 'tune up' or some other issue. There'd be rioting over it. And exhaust systems! I had a '58 Chrysler that had a big stack of all the receipts from 1958 through the 1990's. In the first 10 years there must have been 12 trips to the Midas shop including 6 or 7 new mufflers and several tailpipes.

I'll say this...the 225 is set up with the original Holley 1920 and the original points distributor. If the car is at all warm, I can reach in the window and crank it for about 1/2 revulution and it starts and runs strong. If it's cold, you have to press the gas once to set the choke, then it starts and runs the same. No computers needed!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:38 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I was talking to a 30 some year old "kid", about removing the lean burn from my 88 Diplomat, and saying I installed a earlier carb. He said "what's a carb"? Master auto tech :roll: :roll: :roll:

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

This happens all the time:

Young kid at fast food: What's your name?
Me: Greg.
Young Kid: Craig?
Me: No. Greg. Like Greg Brady.
Young Kid: (Blank stare)