Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Started the truck for the first time in about two or three months. I had left my ipod plugged into the cigarette lighter and it has been below freezing here, so the battery was almost dead. However, it fired up after it cranked enough to get fuel to the carb. Took a load of junk to the dump and learned that the truck weighs 4100 pounds empty with me in it. That means the truck weighs about 3800 pounds empty. Thats pretty light!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 pm 
Supercharged

My brother and I helped my sister build a fence at her house so my slant powered truck was put to work hauling the cement mixer and other tools. Discovered the exhuast has a leak at the pipe to manifold flange and the 727 trans is leaking copious amounts of fluid on the ground and still has problems accelerating. I think a swap to the rebuilt 904 in my garage is in the near future but I need to get a longer driveshaft built for the truck. I also need to pull and disassemble the distributor to make sure everything is lubricated and morking correctly. Depsite the 3.9 rear axle ratio, this truck just will not accelerate with any kind of urgency so something is not working right. Gotta get some yard maintenance done but then I can move on to the truck. 8)

Post subject: Re: Back in black II!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 am 
Supercharged

Has it really been two years? Time flies.

Nothing much has been done to my truck, but I have started gathering parts for some serious upgrades. A500 trans, mini strater, Denso alternator, a Dutra front manifold. I am contemplating doing an engine and trans swap. I have a rebuilt 225 in my garage, a high compression head, a Mopar Performance hydraulic cam, and all the bits and pieces to install this all in my truck. The 225 and 727 in my truck are ailing and my radiator fluid looks like orange soda even though I changed it last year:

I think the truck sat somewhere for a long time with just water in the water jacket. It doesn't overheat, but I am not very sure of the factory gauges. And I think the heater core is leaking. Hmmmm. I need to get the space, time, and money set aside for some serious work, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:36 pm 
Supercharged

Made a great discovery today. I checked the fit of the torque converter spacer for the slant to V8 trans adapter and it fits snugly on the snout of the A500 converter. I know most of the adapters were manufactured prior to the crank hub register diameter change, so I am very happy I wound up with the right one to work with the pst-68 torque converter. That means no machining of the adapter is necessary and I can use the setup as is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Great news. Save you some machining...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I was under the impression, most of the crank adapters were made for the early/small crank pocket, and the big pilot. They were used to put a small block 727 behind a slant. All 727 converters had the big converter pilot. You might want to check the size on the end of the adapter that goes into the crank.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 am 

Car Model:
Oop, good point, Charlie. I read his statement wrong in that it would fit the crank. The hole for the crank in the spacer will almost certainly be for a small hub crank. I enlarged mine on a lathe to fit the big hub crank snout.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am 
Supercharged

Hmmm. Maybe I was putting it on the torque converter backwards? I have a slant on a stand and some loose cranks so I will do some measuring and test fitting. I put the large "pocket" of the torque converter spacer over the torque converter snout and it fit snugly with no play. Does the raised ring go into the flex plate/crank hub?

OK- I just went out and checked- Charlie is right. It has been a while since I looked at the back end of a slant crank and I was putting the spacer on backwards. The raised ring on the spacer for the flex plate is the same diameter as the late crank ring, but the pocket on the spacer is smaller than the raised ring. So I WILL have to get the pocket machined out on a lathe. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive. Just one more step.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 am 
Supercharged

Some pictures for clarity:

"Locating ring " on spacer is the same size as the one on the crank:

But the recess on the spacer is for the smaller crank hub:

So, to make sure I am understanding this right, the recess on the spacer needs to fit over the raised ring on the crank and the snout on the torque converter needs to fit into the raised ring on the spacer?In other words, the spacer needs to be installed oriented like it was in the second picture above?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am 

Car Model:
Yep, 2nd picture.

I hope that crank will get a thorough cleaning/derusting/polishing-grinding before you use it! Maybe just a spare...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am 
Supercharged

Yes, that crank is a spare that has been sitting under my workbench for about ten years now. 1983 hydro motor crank I got for free.

I just checked and the "locating ring" side of the spacer slides over the snout on the A500 torque converter perfectly. The spacer needs the recess machine, but that is it. Yay.

I was thinking about it, and the depth of the adapter plate will have to be made up for by moving the engine forward, nto by moving the trans back. Leaving the engine in the stock location but moving the trans back will mess up the shift linkage mounting point alignment on the bellhousing. The motor has to shift forward by the thickness of the adapter. This will mean either finding a shorter clutch fan or installing an electric fan since the clutch fan I am using is already about 1/2 inch from the radiator. That's OK, I have an extra set of truck motor mounts I can modify to let the block slide forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm 

Car Model:
I found that the "z-bar" style 904 column linkage worked fine 1/2" backward from stock. The angle is not bad and I never had trouble with shifting or losing alignment. That is, I moved the engine 0.625" forward and the 1.125" thick plate put the trans face 0.5" behind the stock 904 location.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 pm 
Supercharged

Thanks. I can tell I am going to have to spend some time measuring various things and noodling about clearance and mounts. I am trying to make as few modifications as possible in case I ever want to go back to stock. But that adapter looks awfully thick to try and get all the clearanceaccounted for in one adjustment. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
What if you let the trans do the moving, add an extension tab onto the pivot bracket (move the mounting holes rearward), and thread the rod in the middle with a long nut (turnbuckle style)?
The trans mount is being modified anyway and that way you don't have to mess with the engine at all.

Unless I'm not picturing it correctly... :?

"A mechanic is Somebody."
- Jim Preston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 pm 
Supercharged

sixinthehead wrote:
What if you let the trans do the moving, add an extension tab onto the pivot bracket (move the mounting holes rearward), and thread the rod in the middle with a long nut (turnbuckle style)?
The trans mount is being modified anyway and that way you don't have to mess with the engine at all.

Unless I'm not picturing it correctly... :?

That is a distinct possibility. However, I am lucky enough to be working on a vehicle that has an interchange with a vehicle that had the A500 as an option. My truck is a 76 D100 and I grabbed the trans crossmember out of a 90 D150.

I need to get some work jobs done, then get some car jobs done, then pull my truck in the garage and do some careful inspection and measuring. I might ultimately decide to make the trans take up all the slack, but I might not.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next