Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Can anybody help me identify these lower ball joints? I ordered them for my 62 and 65 Valiants but I received these wrong ones from rock auto (the boxes were correct but they didn’t contain what they were supposed to). They remunerated even the shipping and tax, so that was good customer service. They didn’t want them back, so I still have them, but I have no use for them. If I can find out what they are, I can pass them on to somebody who needs them. I’d hate to throw them away.

The black one has some numbers (7180-FRH and 21011) on it, so I’m pretty sure it’s K781 for late model Valiants (73-76) and many B bodies. But what about this other one? It looks a little different but could it still be the same for left side (K783)? There are no markings at all on it. Does it look familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
Maurice

See if I can attach the pictures this time...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
They look like lbp A body lower ball joints to me . 73-76 a body with disc brakes.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:01 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Agreed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Valiant 170/A833/8 3/4SG
Dont throw them away, I have several cars that they fit 8) I'll pm you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Great. Thanks for the help. I wasn’t sure of the other one, that had no markings, but I thought they might make a pair despite looking a bit different. That would probably explain also the "logical" error of the putting them back in the wrong boxes somewhere.

Maurice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:02 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Valiant 170/A833/8 3/4SG
Thanks for balljoints, it was great meeting you :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
The Finnish Valiant Connection... Nice.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:18 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
[quote="MJF"]Thanks for balljoints, it was great meeting you :D

Likewise. I hope they fit.

I think it's the first time ever there are two Valiant's in our yard. The third car in the background is a 84 Opel Kadett. For me, it's always been "the new car" (my mother's), but now that I come to think of it, she is 35 years old also... Time flies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I had to do a double-take when I saw that red 65 Valiant 200 in that picture. It looks so much like my Vert, even down to the white on top! My convertible top is white. but it is almost always down. :)

The car in the background is a 1962 Valiant 200.

Attachments:
File comment: Headed out to MoPars At The Marina in Long Beach, Mississippi, October 10, 2019.
1965 Valiant Vert - 20191010_080730 - 620.jpg
1965 Valiant Vert - 20191010_080730 - 620.jpg [ 186.15 KiB | Viewed 7940 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:19 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
valiant_200 wrote:
I had to do a double-take when I saw that red 65 Valiant 200 in that picture. It looks so much like my Vert, even down to the white on top! My convertible top is white. but it is almost always down. :)

The car in the background is a 1962 Valiant 200.

She is actually a humble 100, but you can’t see it from that angle. You have a beautiful Cabriolet, please convey my faraway greetings to her. Here are a couple of other pictures. The car you can see in the background of the first picture is also a 62 (a 200 four door). She’s in the garage at the moment, and almost completely stripped but will hopefully one day drive again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:01 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
That `65 is gorgeous. A fine example of the breed. You don't see a lot of restored 100's. When you see a Valiant at all here in the states, it is usually a Signet or 200.

Your `62 looks a lot like mine did for many years. Its only been off the stands and on the streets for about a year. It still needs some body work and a decent paint job. While off the road it got new floors, a refinished engine compartment and a fresh rebuilt engine.

Looking at the photo of the disassembled `62, I notice that your model is a Color Sweep. You may already know that was Chrysler's name for the two-tone color scheme that your car sports. It was only available for a short while and was only offered on four door sedans produced after February 1962. My `62 is also a Color Sweep, but some long-ago previous owner painted over the original finish and I only discovered it when I started noticing suspicious white paint all around the bottom of the car.

It took a while to figure out the root of the mysterious white paint. My thanks to the people on the Forward Look message board for helping me solve that riddle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:01 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Valiant camaraderie in finland.. awesome.

I bet it gets dark by 17:30 this time of year.. enjoy the winter.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
valiant_200 wrote:
That `65 is gorgeous. A fine example of the breed. You don't see a lot of restored 100's. When you see a Valiant at all here in the states, it is usually a Signet or 200.

Your `62 looks a lot like mine did for many years. Its only been off the stands and on the streets for about a year. It still needs some body work and a decent paint job. While off the road it got new floors, a refinished engine compartment and a fresh rebuilt engine.

Looking at the photo of the disassembled `62, I notice that your model is a Color Sweep. You may already know that was Chrysler's name for the two-tone color scheme that your car sports. It was only available for a short while and was only offered on four door sedans produced after February 1962. My `62 is also a Color Sweep, but some long-ago previous owner painted over the original finish and I only discovered it when I started noticing suspicious white paint all around the bottom of the car.

It took a while to figure out the root of the mysterious white paint. My thanks to the people on the Forward Look message board for helping me solve that riddle.

Thank you for the kind words. She is a rare case in that she’s been on the road pretty much all of her 54 years as a daily driver (only about 300,000 miles on her, though). My parents bought her when she was new and I kind of took possession of her when I got my drivers license in 1988. I’ve never had any other car (until now the 62 project). Winter driving with all the salt they put on the roads has caused the inevitable rust repairs, but so far we’ve managed it.

They imported quite many Valiants here in 1964 and 1965 because the government loosened the import restrictions then that had been in effect since World War II. I believe that Chrysler was also selling the cars at a very reasonable price in order to get a foothold here. I remember my father saying that it was cheap then, that he couldn’t have bought one a couple of years later. I think most of the models were 100s and very stripped-down (for lower tax). For example, they were imported without a cigarette lighter or a windshield washer and here the importer installed a button for the windshield washer in the place where the cigarette light should have been. So using the wipers together with the windshield washer was very difficult because they were on either side of the steering wheel, you needed two hands if you had a dirty windshield. Valiants were also BIG cars here and somewhat of a status symbol at the time.

The 62 is not originally a color sweep car. According to the papers it has been gray originally. I’m not sure if the man who originally started fixing it up was aware that there had been such a thing as color sweep. According to my information he had fixed several cars before but it seems he was no expert on Mopars. I usually prefer keeping things original, but gray is such an anti-color for me that I didn’t have stomach for it. Also it was the coloring that caught my eye when I saw the car for sale and made me fall in line with it. I think, for color sweep, the roof should actually be red, but I like this coloring very much and I thought I would keep it, sort of honoring the first restorer (he had died, I bought the car from his children). This is one of the original sales pictures.

Greg Ondayko wrote:
Valiant camaraderie in finland.. awesome.

I bet it gets dark by 17:30 this time of year.. enjoy the winter.

Greg

Some nice Valiant people here also. And elderly man often come to speak to me when they see my car. Almost invariably they say "I had one in the 1960's and I so much regret that I sold it. How was I so stupid." It's actually weird, they always use almost precisely the same words.

About that time, yes. And it's fast getting darker and darker... Not really my favorite time of the year especially as my health problems gets worse the colder it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Awesome.

Nice stories.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:26 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
The 62 is not originally a color sweep car. According to the papers it has been gray originally. I’m not sure if the man who originally started fixing it up was aware that there had been such a thing as color sweep... I think, for color sweep, the roof should actually be red, but I like this coloring very much and I thought I would keep it...

I agree. Now that I can see it better, there are differences from your pattern and the factory color sweep pattern. In addition to the roof being painted trim color, the pattern in the rear is different. In a factory color sweep, the pattern drops at about a 45 degree angle to run along the tail panel. Yours stops at the seam of the quarter panel. I very much like the way yours is done.

When it comes to two-toning an early A-body, I like they way they did the Lancer better. For that model, the trim color is on the roof and comes down the pillars to end at the body line beneath the windows.

I was excited that I might have found another Color Sweep. I totally agree that your car is much more interesting as a two tone than it would be gray. For a long time I thought my 62 was just another 4-door sedan, but being a Color Sweep made it something special. I love original factory paint packages. They are a detail that often gets passed over when a car is later restored.

I am far from the original owner of either of my cars. When I bought the Vert, she was 19 years old and in pretty sad shape. She is one of the very few cars I ever trailered home.

The 62 was 37 years old when I found it sitting in front of a body shop, having very obviously been recently dragged out of a field. That car was and is pretty rough looking, but it is all dents and surface rust, with a pretty solid body all around.

Like the Vert, the 62 had no floors when I found it, but I laid a piece of plywood across the frame and drove it home!

Attachments:
1962_valiant_color_sweep_ad.jpg
1962_valiant_color_sweep_ad.jpg [ 74.43 KiB | Viewed 7730 times ]