Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Looking good Markus!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: Dodge Pioneer 1961
Fedex delivered the camshaft and I got the engine almost done already. I can drop it to the car soon and get the transmission to my engine stand for overhaul.

The cam is a Melling stock replacement. So it's supposed to be a bit bigger than the stock -61 cam was. It went in nice and turned freely.

This part is the most fun that a car guy get to do, the final assembly and detailing. Some paint here and there, alternator, distributor, some brackets and were done! Allthough, the serpentine tensioner needs some adjustment as the belt is interfering with water pump pulley. Tensioner is not under load in the picture but it might be too strong for this application. My first mockup tensioner was a weaker unit but it also looked like crap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:22 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Excellent work. Should make plenty of power for that big cruiser bruiser...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Engine is back in the bay and transmission is now disassembled. Still a ton of work ahead, but I hope to get it running in few weeks!

My buddy made same cool decals for me! Planning to put one of these to the air cleaner housing. Just need to find something OE-look and cylinder shape.

Tranny had some seriously worn front clutches. Amazing that it was still working ok though. I have a Transgo TF2 kit to go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
Nice work, I've wanted to make some "Turbocharger 225" underhood decals for my build. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:09 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Little by little...

Transmission is back in the car. It took a bit longer than I expected as I got the wrong master kit for it at first. I used deep oil pan from Jeep RE42 and made filter extension from piece of steel stock. Soon I'm about to start making the exhaust pipe. I was thinking of single 2-1/2" and 2" from the Dutra Duals to collector.

A view from down under

Also I hide the extra gauges in the dash. I just didn't like to spoil the beautiful dash. I modified the beautiful radio delete plate to be opened with a switch and hide the smaller gauges behind it. Tachometer rises from the speaker provision in the dash. They need a bit refinement, but you get the idea...

Here's a Youtube link for the gauges: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpItA_cTRaA

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Wow! I love this project! I have hopes of building the same thing someday in a '70 dart. Im thinking of blocking off the backside inlet and milling new inlets for the carb on top. I want to build a sheetmetal intake to mount the m90 on its side and then build a plenum to bolt onto the new inlet so i can use a standard downdraft carburetor but still make it all fit under a flat hood.

I just have to figure out a clutch that will survive behind that kind of motor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

I have been working with the exhaust pipe, air box and some other minor things.
It was a lot tighter fit than I first thought for the 2 to 1 pipe. Primaries are 2" and they unite in 2-1/2" self made collector. Primaries end at transmission support and I welded a O2-sensor bung at the collector. I sanded down welding seams at the visible area in engine bay and put on some zinc-spray coating.

Air box pieces cut and rolled

Air box welded, painted and fitted

It's a tight fit but there should be just enough clearance around. From here I continue with piping it to a filter box somewhere near the grille.

Most of the hoses are done. Malpassi fuel regulator attached to the side of the supercharger

First start and cam break in is coming up soon..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Beautiful work as always!

(Are you planning on upgrading from the unsafe single-piston brake master cylinder? Going fast is more fun than stopping fast, but…!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

SlantSixDan wrote:
Beautiful work as always!

(Are you planning on upgrading from the unsafe single-piston brake master cylinder? Going fast is more fun than stopping fast, but…!)

Thanks Dan! Actually I was planning the brake upgrade couple years ago, but somehow I have managed to ignore it. However, it still is my priority number 4 :)

About ten days ago, we started the engine with my friends. It fired nice after we got fuel to the carb. Line was empty and even after filling the fuel bowl, she did not want to start at first. So my friend sucked the line and got the fuel coming to the filter. Then she started right away!

We had a textbook example how the cam should be break in. No interruptions, no gas flowing everywhere, no oli spilling. Just some venting of coolant after 20 min of break in. Total break in time was 30 minutes.

Now she starts nice, hot or cold. Although after sitting couple of days it needs a longer start.

Here she is, alive and kicking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afu_alVVhF8

It needs a LOT of tuning though! Timing should be adjusted and most likely the dizzy needs some counter weight restriction. Also need to build some sort of retard system, with 5 pin HEI module or playing with the vacuum canister.
It runs nice, but slightly rich in some conditions.
One issue is that it bogs badly if gas is pressed too fast. My guess is that it needs a lot bigger squirt from the accelerator pump.
So I need to get a DCOE tuning kit too.

There's some assembly, paint stuff and air cleaner setup crafting before the road testing starts.
After that I need to get it to the dyno. Finnish traffic code requires that the aftermarket boosted vehicles needs to be dynoed if there was no supercharger from the factory. Dyno results are given to the inspector at annual inspection and he approves it, or not. Some cases like this one, it's a bit silly code as there was an optional 413 big block available and there's no way I could get near the power levels.
But dyno is a good idea anyway and we'll see how much horsepower I managed to get lost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Ooer! I love these startup-and-run videos, and your car makes me smile. Super nice work!

(What's that parked next to it, a Ford Clown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis de Sade?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Markus-FIN wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:
One issue is that it bogs badly if gas is pressed too fast. My guess is that it needs a lot bigger squirt from the accelerator pump.
So I need to get a DCOE tuning kit too.

When I first did my draw thru turbo slant, I used a Webber side draft carb, and had the same problem. I was never able to cure the problem, as the carb itself was not allowing a big enough pump shot. I wound up using a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl, down draft.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

SlantSixDan wrote:
Ooer! I love these startup-and-run videos, and your car makes me smile. Super nice work!

(What's that parked next to it, a Ford Clown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis de Sade?)

It's my daily driver, 1985 Clown Vic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 62 Valiant
i dont see exactly where in Finland you are, but there seems to be an active set of makerspaces in every major town there. they will all vary, but mine here in Canada has mills, lathes, casting equipment, etc. it cheap to access and makes all these projects much easier. try googling hacklab, makerspace, hackerspace, or whatever similar terms you have in Suomi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

It's been WAY too long since I posted last time. And I'm sorry about that!
Winter here was harsh and long, but I managed to get some things done to Dodge!
Maybe this summer I finally get to drive some too.
Biggest thing in my garage was that I managed to get a used two post lift. It's so much nicer now to work with my cars.

So, with the car I have done following stuff:

-Rust repairs with front bumper
-New shocks
-Painted the trunk with body color
-New weatherstripping to doors, window rail and trunk
-Sound deadening
-New carpet
-New driveshaft trunnion joint booth
-Custom cast aluminium piece to hood scoop
-Distributor maintenance and ignition curve check
-Custom made air cleaner box

And tons of other stuff, I can't remember...

But as this is a Slant Six forum, let's focus on that.
I had the first test drives with this new motor last saturday and I drove almost 100 miles with it, without any major issues.
I was very happy how the transmission came out. Gear changes are snappy but comfy and it's just great in all ways.
It died once, but even then the problem was a loose wiring to HEI-module.
It also blew a intake/exhaust gasket at exhaust port due to a difference between manifold thickness.
It still got a lot of tuning ahead, but I have mostly taken care of the hesitation problem now.
Biggest issue now is that it's running way too rich at part throttle, but I'm out of jets right now. Need to order some or solder and drill the current ones.
Igniton base timing is at 15° and total is 28-30° (ish). I did not hear any detonation at any rpm. Probably the rich mixture helps to keep it on safe side?
Boost comes in somewhere at 3500 and it goes to 7 psi at 5500 rpm.

Here is some pics:

Hood decoration

Air cleaner housing. I used K&N cone filter and wrapped it in some sheet metal

Small pipe is for the PCV-system

Painted the thing in black and my friend printed a nice OE-style decal to it

Engine bay at current state. Air comes in through the radiator support frame and the air cleaner works as a battery hold down too

My friend filmed this short clip, but it was very first runs and mixture is all over the place...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_x-CEoR2Sg

Need to get this tuned close first and then some dyno time.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next