Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:10 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Clark Cortez
Hi everyone,
Last year I did the HEI conversion and put 2K KM's on my 1966 Clark Cortez motorhome - no issues other then I can't turn off the ignition. This year we took it out of storage to use again but had it die on us a few minutes (thankfully) into our trip. The truck seems to run for a bit, then stall for no clear reason - made me think something was overheating and failing (ignition coil or module). Last weekend I spent some time checking for any loose connections, no spark conditions etc. only to discover that jiggling the connections at the relay caused the engine to stop. Thought I'd found the problem and replaced the relay plus one of the supposed faulty spade connectors. Then I was able to stall the engine again wiggling another wire (the ground) at the relay. Not sure what exactly is going on as all the connectors are new as of last year, tight and not showing any corrosion.

One more clue? At one point, after disconnecting/re-connecting the wires on the relay I was able to stop/start the engine without issue. Then after more fiddling I wasn't able to stop it, only start it. Not sure if this is connected to the stalling issue or not?

FYI the ignition switch was replaced last year as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Just eliminate the relay completely and see how it does. I have done 5 or 6 conversions and never ran a relay and have never had a failure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:02 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Did you use a good-quality, name-brand, new relay? Even those can fail, but failure is much more common with off-brand junk.

Eliminating the relay is a fine diagnostic technique, but not a wise way to run the system full-time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
What gauge wire are you using and have you checked the integrity of the wire at both ends?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Clark Cortez
Thanks everyone - I will take another swing at it in a few weeks once I have time. Was staying in the RV last weekend but forgot to bring my electrical toolbox! Hard to test anything with a wrench ; )