Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart GT
Anyone know of an oe style replacement to go to voltmeter? (67 Dart GT, non rally dash) I have a voltmeter wired in now, but it's just a cheap gauge and it's just kind of hanging out, hoping to put everything back together, do it right, and not pull the gauge cluster out ever again! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There is no ready-made, drop-in factory-lookin' voltmeter.

A good ammeter-to-voltmeter conversion can be done very cleanly without looking hacked. I strongly UNrecommend the hack-job "fix" proposed by the clowns at MAD Electrical; you can do much better. How much it costs depends on whether you do the work yourself or have it
done for you. www.redlinegaugeworks.com (website perpetually in development; call them on the phone) and http://www.williamsons.com/Services_Offered.html can both do
a stealth conversion of stock ammeter to voltmeter for "it must've come that way from the factory!" appearance as seen in the '62 Plymouth here; look closely at the instrument panel; the Alternator gauge
now has a scale from 8 to 18 volts rather than the original D at the left and C at the right—and the oil pressure gauge is another never-offered-by-Chrysler item done by one of the gauge specialty houses.

For less money (but more work) you could just buy a generic Sunpro voltmeter, tear it apart, and mount the old ammeter face over it as seen here and here .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
SlantSixDan wrote:
………….. seen here

He had it that far apart, why not paint the needle orange to match the other needles...

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Thanks! Emailed to see what turnaround time and cost is!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: '64 Valiant Convertible
I did the gauge build myself a few years ago. If you're handy, you might have a go at it yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58590&p=437252#p437252

Scroll down a bit to get to the pics.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:34 am 
Turbo EFI

Looks good! I'm not sure I'm that good at details to make it look good, but pretty impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:45 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I have your exact application, see photos of conversion here: https://tinyurl.com/y3c35hkk

...and yes, I painted the needles orange to match the OEM needles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Took me long enough, but have everything on the way to Williamsons. They're going to do the conversion and repaint all the dash trim pieces. Excited to get everything back and installed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Keep us looped in (pics, price report, etc)!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:10 am 
Turbo EFI

Will do!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm 
Turbo EFI

Well, I was going to wait to post until I got the finished product back from Williamsons, but after calling to check on my parts again, I am going to vent here a bit. My parts were received 8/5 or 8/6, and I was originally quoted 3 weeks (ammeter to voltmeter conversion and repainting gauge bezel, climate control bezel, and glovebox trim). Each time I call in it's something else. I called on the 1st and was told 7-10 days, called in this afternoon and was told by the end of this week. After being told 2 more weeks a couple times before that, you can imagine how much stock I put in that. I am optimistic the work will be good, but the repeated delays and total lack of proactive communication about those delays has been very frustrating. I am hopeful my eventual report will be good work, done much slower than quoted, at a reasonable price, fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:05 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I very much dislike when that happens.

One upholstery shop 'round here did that to me for 6 months with a truck seat. I pulled it out of the shop and took it elsewhere.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Got the first communication from them that wasn't imitated by me on Wednesday, they said they were shipping out and wanted me to finish paying. I reminded him I paid in full over a month ago instead of half down and half when finished and he apologized, I got them today. The paint work isn't what I expected, fingers crossed the voltmeter work is good. Already have concerns due to the rusty nuts that hold the terminals in place, have photos showing that was not the case on the ones that it was sent in with. On at least two occasions I talked to him he mentioned still needing to do the speedometer, which was more cost and not something I was going to have done, I am unsure if I got extra work done for no cost or not. 3 weeks turned into almost 3 months and the outcome isn't what I had hoped for, so I guess I would not recommend going with Williamsons, guess there's a reason they are cheaper than other places. A little proactive communication would have gone a long way in my case, but between the poor communication and not amazing results, I'm pretty disappointed, going to let him know that, but at this point, cut my losses and not waste more time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:34 am 
Turbo EFI

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u-h-u-gVXsnlnK2J5QN2zPlsSNLONb5W/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uCLP3rlHPB31CT_WuhzW7w-snsQaFpXN/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u3t2ySn80FafApiRsVc1acvL_O1YR7oS/view?usp=drivesdk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:49 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Well, that's disappointing.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.