Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
If anyone has the possibility of posting a couple of pictures, I would appreciate it. On a 62 Valiant (Lancer is probably the same, maybe 60 and 61 also?) I would like to see what the frame structure is supposed to look like where the front hangar of the leaf springs is attached. On my project, on both sides, the area has been boxed in with numerous badly made patches that have been welded in later (probably due to rust damage).

Possibly the original has been something like this also, but I would like to see it. Also, how the three bolts holding the hanger to the frame are arranged? My guess is that the upper single bolt comes from behind, gives through the hanger and into the frame (without any securing nut)? And the lower ones (studs?) come out of the frame through the hanger and will be secured by nuts?

The system seems somewhat different to my 65 Valiant, whether the structure is open and the bolts going through the hanger are secured by nuts on the front side of the frame.

A picture from the front and another from the rear of the frame structure here would be ideal. But any help is appreciated.
Maurice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:27 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
I’ll try to sneak over to the garage and get you some pics of my 62 Valiant. I believe the 60-62 are all the same.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:59 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
I’ll try to sneak over to the garage and get you some pics of my 62 Valiant. I believe the 60-62 are all the same.

Thank you, I would appreciate it very much. I tried to look on the Internet for hours, but the underside isn't exactly number one in popularity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:14 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Maurice,

I have one pic posted that shows a little of that hanger in this album. Photo number 2546.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16910097@ ... 455301091/

I looked in my photo archive and did not find a better one.

There are three 3/8" fine thread studs (about 3/4" or 20 mm long) coming out of (and fixed to) the frame section, which is tilted something like 45 degrees backward from vertical. These studs go through the U-shaped bracket that holds the front leaf spring eye.

Hope this helps,
Lou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Maurice,

I have one pic posted that shows a little of that hanger in this album. Photo number 2546.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16910097@ ... 455301091/

I looked in my photo archive and did not find a better one.

There are three 3/8" fine thread studs (about 3/4" or 20 mm long) coming out of (and fixed to) the frame section, which is tilted something like 45 degrees backward from vertical. These studs go through the U-shaped bracket that holds the front leaf spring eye.

Hope this helps,
Lou

Thanks Lou. That answers the question about the bolts/studs. I have two of them left on one side that are okay but none of the other side (well there is one that’s broken). The tilted “front plate” that the hanger presses against is actually in good shape on both sides. It is the only side that looks good. The others have been rather badly repaired at some time and you can’t really say for sure, what it’s supposed to look like.

That’s one hefty rear brake, I must say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:57 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have a new theory.

If the body was originally boxed in in this area (where the leaf spring front hanger is attached), and the studs have broken when removing the springs, there is no way to repair the damage, right? The only way to do it is to carve open the boxed area, it’s the only way to get to the broken studs, correct? This might explain the weird welding.

If this is what they have done, it’s quite a hodgepodge. There are two “studs” that are millimeters size, one stud that is broken and three holes with threads (the threads might be 3/8 C, not sure). I’m beginning to believe the only way to fix this is to carve out part of the welding, so you get to see inside the box. Is my thinking correct?

I would still very much appreciate a couple of pictures of how this area should look like...
Thanks for all the help so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Oops. I thought Lou squared you away.

Do you need pics with the leaf spring hangar removed?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
Oops. I thought Lou squared you away.

Do you need pics with the leaf spring hangar removed?

It doesn't necessarily need to be removed. The hangers I have are okay. And the "face" area that the hanger is bolted to, is okay also. It's the frame area (box) where the hanger is bolted to I'm interested in. Especially a picture from the front towards the rear and another from straight under, if possible. There are several rusty welds in that area on my car.

My new hypothesis being that it is a boxed structure and if the studs break, you have to cut the box structure open to repair the studs. It seems I will also have to do this, so I would like to see how this area should look like.

So, in case you can get pictures (I know it's difficult under the car), I would appreciate it very much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:09 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I'll try to get over to the garage this weekend and move some things around to get some photos for you. I don't have a cool lift like Lou, but I have some Harbor Freight jack stands... If I don't report back within a few days, call 911. :shock: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:37 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I will also try. I should switch the street tires back on after the race with the M/T drag radials...

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank you kindly. I would appreciate it. But don't go and kill yourself. If you have the time and ability to do it this weekend, that would be great.

It's getting cold here. Time to change to winter tires...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Its getting cold here too but no snow yet.. Might dip below 0°C tonite ;-)

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:15 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Well,... I got some photos, but they are too large to post on the Forum. I can either put them in Image Shack and post links or email them to you.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:33 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rob Simmons wrote:
Well,... I got some photos, but they are too large to post on the Forum. I can either put them in Image Shack and post links or email them to you.

Thank you very much.

I PMed you an email address way you can send them. Let me know, if it doesn't work for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:45 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I got the PM. I'm downloading the photos from my phone to home computer (along with another bazillion I never downloaded... :roll: )

Stand by...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser