Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
hooked up a battery today, while I watched things for a bit.... didn't let any smoke out..... started right up, everything but the ammeter and backup lights seems to work... IDK if the ammeter had worked before..... so no biggie. In fact, when I initially got it going, it didn't seem like any gauge was working...… the other 3 definitely are now with what I'll call "believeable" readings...….. and the horns, but there aren't any mounted in the truck TO work at present.... that might just explain that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The ammeter barely moves if you have run the 10 gauge wire from alternator to battery, as per Dan's recommended modification.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I remember having those trucks before, some ammeters seemed to be more active than others.... but yeah most didn't move much.... but they did move from center. This one does nothing. Haven't looked too deep yet, could be a bad gauge..... have some other dash work to do anyway...dash bezel and new lense on the gauge pod, replace the heater control due to past owner butchery, put a better than AM radio into it, etc....
But honestly, the least of my worries...... truck is running fine now/ and so far haven't blown a fuse yet..... only bad thing is it has a slight draw on it, as anywhere from 2-3 weeks if I don't start it up it is dead......it isn't a driver yet, got it as a long term project, want to get the body work done on it, definitely gonna stay in the garage as winter gets closer..... I want to kill what rust it has, don't want to add to it with road salt and brine..... I have another engine in the machine shop as I slowly gather parts for that engine, this one runs fine for what it is but I want "more power" than what I have currently..... so plenty of time to get the bugs out. At least I no longer have a twisted and taped fire hazard like I did when the truck got here.
You guys wouldnt believe how bad it was when it came here..... details in the beginning of the thread,

Glad to have someone else dig it out of buried pages and respond, but much of this was just a sort of "record" of what I did and can look back on later in case I do have issue or if I get another that I need to redo the wiring harness on for whatever reason. feel free to add to it at will if it pertains..... or add your wiring experiences!