Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks all. It sounds like it's going to be a busy week for me. I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but does anyone know where to get the special tool for removing the clips on the window cranks and inside door handles??
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Harbor Freight has a set of 4 or 5 tools which contains the one you need. I think the whole set is less than $10.00. They are also available from most any parts store. It's possible to use a flat blade screwdriver as well.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:04 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Wow, I've got that set of tools and couldn't get any of them to work. Are they like GM and Ford, you just have to play around until you get it??
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The '60-'62 door handles and window cranks are a real damnuisance to deal with. The factory tool was a sort of specialty pliers, much nicer than the flat-strip-of-metal types you can get now. If you use two hands to push the door trim panel on either side of the handle, you can see where the clip is, which makes it easier to orientate the tool to remove it. They really did have a better idea in '63, retaining these parts with a single central screw each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:34 pm 
Supercharged

Here's a picture of the back side of a handle with the clip in place and a clip by itself. The square hole in the clip slides over the square post of the regulator/latch and snaps into a groove in the post. Basically you just push the end of the clip down to disengaqge it from a slot then pull out on the handle. Once you get one off the rest will be easier. By pushing the end of the clip toward the post you can release it from the groove to allow it to slide free.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK, I'm feeling like the village idiot now. I can see the clip using one of the "universal" removal tools but can't get it off. I did manage to get one door handle off but it was an accident and couldn't repeat it to save my butt. I've got one back door that won't lock and both back windows crank hard so I really would like to get in there.
Would a Chrysler dealer have that special tool???
Also, is there someone out there that has early Valiant products? I've got fairly good rugs in the car and would like to get some mats to cover them but have no idea where to start looking. I find it much easier to deal with someone that has been recommended.
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No, you can't get any special tools for your Valiant at a dealer. :-(

As for recommended vendors, well, floor mats are really kind of more of a universal-fit type of item. But if you're after general recommendations for and against particular vendors, start here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:15 am 
Supercharged

The handles are a pain until you get the hang of it. The trick it to push hard against the tang to disengage the square hole from the groove around the square post. Push on the tand and pull on the handle at the same time. Look at the pictures I posted and you can see the postioning of the tang on the clip.medium flat-blade screwdriver might work as well as the tool you have but be really careful that it doesn't slip and tear the upholstery on the door panel.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Post subject: door handle removal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I still have problems removing those square shafted handles!! Maybe if I had 3 hands--- last time I used a large flat bladed screwdriver & the aforementioned trim removal tool-- pushing the door panel back & prying hard on the tang-- it took a while --- it's almost like something is going to break before it gives . Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I found out tonite how unruly those oe clips are on the 60-62's... yikes.. i was able to put a glass install stick between the door card and the handle, then push towards the centerline of the car with a pair of curved needle nose pliers to release the handles. It seems like the oe tool mentioned in the service manual would make things a bunch easier!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Old thread for sure but a hard task to complete.
It really helps to have an extra handle in your hand to visualize what needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes it sure is an old thread but new Info to me as I have never really worked on a Pre '63 Much until now.

I have to take them off again anyway as I installed the Spring Behind the Door Card the wrong way. The escutcheons were all dry rotted so It's going to rip up a fairly nice door panel somewhat quick behind that window lever.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:59 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I did not re-install the springs on the Lancer. Worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:23 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you are careful you can use a brake adjuster tool - the one that is curved and has a flat end, like a flat blade screwdriver.

Carefully insert between the door trim and door handle the flat blade of the brake adjuster tool at a slight angle pushing the door handle clip and wriggling the door handle off.

With some practice you will be an expert in removing the door handles :D