Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:08 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1983 D150 Slantsix 4 speed
I have a 83 d150 slant six single barrel. I changed the mecanical fuel pump and fuel filter. Also bought a rebuilt carb. Truck won't start. I can see fuel in the fuel filter but no fuel is going to the carb I tired adjusting but no luck. (Grant it I just screwed both adusting bolts about 3 turns). When I put gas into the carb it does start than dies when the gas runs out. Am I missing something with the rebuilt carb? Any help would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Float level?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:38 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Reed wrote:
Float level?

How do I adjust the float level?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 am 
Supercharged

Slantsix83 wrote:
Reed wrote:
Float level?

Carburetor adjustment and repair manuals and films are available HERE. You have a Holley 1945 or a Holley 6145, if you kept the stock carb. Adjusting the float is essentially the same on each of those models.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:47 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Reed wrote:
Slantsix83 wrote:
Reed wrote:
Float level?

Carburetor adjustment and repair manuals and films are available HERE. You have a Holley 1945 or a Holley 6145, if you kept the stock carb. Adjusting the float is essentially the same on each of those models.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:44 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
check for spark yet? Sure its fuel related? Not enough info. and randomly willy nilly screwing the adjustments on the carb usually gets you nowhere. There are many things ID check before I broke open the carb related to float level.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:47 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
check for spark yet? Sure its fuel related? Not enough info. and randomly willy nilly screwing the adjustments on the carb usually gets you nowhere. There are many things ID check before I broke open the carb related to float level.

I havent checked but when I add fuel dirrectly inside the carb the truck starts until the fuel that I andes runs out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:48 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:

What should I check?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am 
Supercharged

Out of gas?
I had one truck where the tube off the sending unit rotted off and wouldn't run below 1/2 tank.
I'd put a gas can (the one that you use for your mower will work) and set it on the ground next to the truck. Get a pc of 5/16 fuel hose long enough to hook up to the inlet of the fuel pump, and drop the other end into your gas can, I'd drop it and come out in the wheel well or under the bumper away from the fan. Might prime the carb to get it to start a few secs til the fuel pump starts working. If it runs that way the problem is in or back by the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:00 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
Out of gas?
I had one truck where the tube off the sending unit rotted off and wouldn't run below 1/2 tank.
I'd put a gas can (the one that you use for your mower will work) and set it on the ground next to the truck. Get a pc of 5/16 fuel hose long enough to hook up to the inlet of the fuel pump, and drop the other end into your gas can, I'd drop it and come out in the wheel well or under the bumper away from the fan. Might prime the carb to get it to start a few secs til the fuel pump starts working. If it runs that way the problem is in or back by the tank.

But if I see the fuel filter filled with gas wouldn't that mean that I'm not having a tank issue?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:20 am 
Supercharged

Seem to be any movement in the gas in the filter? Is it a see thru type of filter?
It won't cost anything to try what I said.

You can also pop the line out of the carb and crank it over (before you do the auxiliary gas can deal) and see if anything comes out of the line while cranking. Don't do this for long, and you might wanna slip something over the open gas line to direct anything that might come out to the ground. And if you do get anything out thru the pump while cranking you might want to collect some of what comes out and see if it separates (water in gas)

If nothing comes out try the auxiliary gas can deal. If nothing still comes out it's a pump issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:36 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
Seem to be any movement in the gas in the filter? Is it a see thru type of filter?
It won't cost anything to try what I said.

You can also pop the line out of the carb and crank it over (before you do the auxiliary gas can deal) and see if anything comes out of the line while cranking. Don't do this for long, and you might wanna slip something over the open gas line to direct anything that might come out to the ground. And if you do get anything out thru the pump while cranking you might want to collect some of what comes out and see if it separates (water in gas)

If nothing comes out try the auxiliary gas can deal. If nothing still comes out it's a pump issue.

Yes its a see through gas filter and I do see movement. I'll drain the fuel filter and see if their is water.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:46 am 
Supercharged

Please try cranking it while filter disconnected too, see what comes out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:59 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
Please try cranking it while filter disconnected too, see what comes out.

So I was messing around with it. When I give it gas it starts I get it going for awhile and its good but than dies. Would this be because to much air is getting in?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:31 pm 
Supercharged

Too much air? Do you mean a vacuum leak?

It sounds like you need to adjust your choke, adjust your idle mixture, and check for vacuum leaks. It also sounds like you need to get a factory service manual for your vehicle and get the books listed in this thread: CLICK ME