Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:10 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
I am closing in on the later stages of installing a slant 6 in my M37. The truck did not have an engine when I got it, so I am trying to figure out the best way to vent the fuel tank.

The fuel tank does have a vent tube that goes to the engine room. From looking at the operator manuals it appears as if the original fuel tank vent ended up in the carburetor air intake elbow. I assume some of that is due to the desire for underwater operation.

I have also read here on one other thread that having the fuel tank vent into the carb or air cleaner was not a wise idea. I also remember Uncle Dan mentioning that the crank case has been used as fuel vapor storage in the past by some manufacturer, and it was a system that worked fairly well.

I am open to any suggestions or perspective on how best to vent the fuel tank.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:30 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Jase wrote:
I have also read here on one other thread that having the fuel tank vent into the carb or air cleaner was not a wise idea.

True. If you're not going swimming with this truck, do something different than that.

Quote:
I also remember Uncle Dan mentioning that the crank case has been used as fuel vapor storage in the past by some manufacturer, and it was a system that worked fairly well.

Ehhh…it was a get-by deal for '70-'71 until they came up with a much better system for '72. More info here and here.

Quote:

Well, the easiest way might be if there's a vented fuel cap available that will fit securely, then block off the existing vent line. Otherwise, run your existing vent line in a high inverted-U well above the top of the tank, and then back down to discharge toward the ground as described in my first link here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
SlantSixDan wrote:

Ehhh…it was a get-by deal for '70-'71 until they came up with a much better system for '72. More info here and here.

Quote:

Well, the easiest way might be if there's a vented fuel cap available that will fit securely, then block off the existing vent line. Otherwise, run your existing vent line in a high inverted-U well above the top of the tank, and then back down to discharge toward the ground as described in my first link here.

Thanks Dan. Short term I will probably go find a cap that has a vent. I need to move some fire wood with this thing before snow flies.

With the Allpar link I am armed and ready to put a charcoal filter in the engine room and do the responsible thing of bring the system up close to a '72 and later system. Both are well written and enjoyable to read.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: D150
Try Moyer's Fuel Tank Renu
www.gas-tank.com