Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Dart Slant 6 - 3 on the Tree
Thanks guys for the quick replies to my spark plug question.

Chuckster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:54 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Yesterday I taught Logan how to perform a compression test. I did the #1 cylinder, he did the other 5. All were between 155-165 PSI. After that he installed the spark plugs (thanks again guys for the advice on getting the correct plugs!). I looked for the engine ID pad on the block, under the #1 plug hole, but couldn't see it. The head, at least, is a '79 or '80, maybe the block too. I'll have to see if there is a casting date somewhere on the block.
At the Holley Moparty we bought a fan shroud for an 18" radiator, doesn't quite fit, about 1/2" too tall to allow all 4 screw holes to line up. We started checking the new radiator hoses we got from Rock Auto, lower will work fine, but I suspect the radiator is not the original. The Dart is a factory A/C car, but missing everything under the hood. Bought the upper hose for an A/C car, but apparently the top radiator outlet should be on the right side, the Dart's is on the left. There are two sets of numbers on the top tank: 38086 & 3692913. Did some research last night, the radiator is for a '74 A body 318 Manual 19". Looking at the pics on Rock Auto they don't seem to curve in the correct direction. Guess I'll try to find a flex hose locally.

Attachments:
File comment: Grandson performing compression test
20211029_170838.jpg
20211029_170838.jpg [ 245.69 KiB | Viewed 2603 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Awesome progress! Go, Logan!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:28 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

We actually got it running today, after dealing with a leaky thermostat housing gasket. Filled it with water (again) and it still leaked, but not as bad. First time was because the thermostat slipped during the install, dropping into the gasket area. Went and got another gasket, which had an adhesive side, so I know it didn't slip this time. When we take it off next time I'll reface it with my belt sander.
As it was a slow leak we started it up, let it warm up, and worked on setting the timing. Its been a while and I forgot to disconnect the vacuum advance. When I did it died as it was hooked to direct vacuum, not ported. Got it running again, got the timing close, and tried to adjust the carb mixture. I didn't get any change at all turning the mixture screw in or out. Once the weather warms up (next year) I'll try the old carb in the trunk to see if it's any better. The water has been drained out.
Might do more work on it if we get some slightly warmer days, but I'm not holding my breath. Will probably search for parts (like the correct radiator for it so we can use the correct hoses) and refinish the air filter assembly.
Chuckster

Attachments:
File comment: Back together and running
20211102_172821.jpg
20211102_172821.jpg [ 254.45 KiB | Viewed 2556 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:47 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

I think we are about finished working on the Dart for this year, it's about to get cold, and no heat in the garage. We fixed the leaky thermostat housing issue, drained the water, and added anti-freeze. While we had it running we found that there is a vacuum leak under the carburetor even though we installed a new gasket, and it's running pig-rich. Found the old carb in the trunk, missing some pieces, but something Logan can experiment with. Probably in the next day or two we'll pull off the carb and take it to my house where we will go through it, and do a rebuild on it. We also found the 3 speed manual trans is stuck in a forward gear, although the column shift lever appears to be in neutral. Not going to worry about that until the spring. When we were running the engine Logan had to remain in the car pushing in the clutch pedal, best to start exercising those muscles now, before he starts driving it...hehehe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:05 am 

Car Model:
Sounds like great progress. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure a warm day or three will come up where you can tinker some during the winter...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:37 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Chuckster wrote:
Yesterday I taught Logan how to perform a compression test. I did the #1 cylinder, he did the other 5. All were between 155-165 PSI. After that he installed the spark plugs (thanks again guys for the advice on getting the correct plugs!). I looked for the engine ID pad on the block, under the #1 plug hole, but couldn't see it. The head, at least, is a '79 or '80, maybe the block too. I'll have to see if there is a casting date somewhere on the block.
At the Holley Moparty we bought a fan shroud for an 18" radiator, doesn't quite fit, about 1/2" too tall to allow all 4 screw holes to line up. We started checking the new radiator hoses we got from Rock Auto, lower will work fine, but I suspect the radiator is not the original. The Dart is a factory A/C car, but missing everything under the hood. Bought the upper hose for an A/C car, but apparently the top radiator outlet should be on the right side, the Dart's is on the left. There are two sets of numbers on the top tank: 38086 & 3692913. Did some research last night, the radiator is for a '74 A body 318 Manual 19". Looking at the pics on Rock Auto they don't seem to curve in the correct direction. Guess I'll try to find a flex hose locally.

My uncle might be needing the ac flex hose for the incoming Dart project. We'll take a closer look this coming weekend after we finish installing the jeep wheels and skid plates on the Wrangler. Appreciate it if you share if you found them online. TIA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:11 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Due to school/work/family obligations (life) Logan and I didn't start working on the Dart until yesterday. We got the car ready to move to my house as my daughter is buying a new house and we have some aggressive cleaning to do and don't want to make a mess in her garage/driveway. Besides, I have more tools at my house...lol. Later this evening I will drive it to my house and my daughter will follow me as the brake lights are on, I think because the headlight switch is disconnected. It's only about 3-4 miles, and I know hand signals (I'm that old).
One of the problems we were having is a vacuum leak at the carburetor base. Last year we installed a new gasket, but it was defective. It has the metal bushings in it to avoid over-tightening, but one of the bushings appears to be too tall, causing the leak. We found a new gasket in the trunk that was thinner, and without the bushings. After installing it the vacuum leak was a thing of the past. After adjusting the idle down to where it should be, we were able to adjust the mixture and set the timing...purrs like a kitten! Last thing done was installing a vacuum line for the vacuum advance.
Over the winter we got the air cleaner assembly stripped and powder coated semi-gloss black and found a new "Super 225" decal online. Once we apply the decal we will post some pics.
BTW, the new place my daughter is buying has a 2 car attached, and a 2 car detached garage. Looks like Logan gets his own garage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:53 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Woo Hoo! How awesome! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:56 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Logan's Dart is now residing in my driveway, between my '82 Dodge Rampage ('89 TII engine), and my '12 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Next week we will be doing some of the dirty work like power washing the underneath, finding and fixing various leaks, and maybe trying to remove the black paint in the engine bay.
Yesterday we checked the brakes as I needed a lot of pedal pressure to slow it down. It has manual brakes, discs up front, 10" drum rear. The drums and rotors look new, no wear. The E-brake doesn't seem to work very well either. We might replace the pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, calipers, and possibly the master cylinder to avoid problems down the road.
When we installed the new timing chain we had to drop the oil pan a little as we could not get the timing cover installed with the new rubber gasket installed. I don't have an engine hoist anymore, but I can use a floor jack to lift it some, so how can I support the engine after I remove the motor mounts (in the way of some of the oil pan bolts) and remove the oil pan? Not sure if a jack stand under the harmonic damper is a good idea. Any thoughts?
Here are pics of the powder coated air cleaner assembly, see a previous post for what it used to looked like. Swap meet air cleaner assembly: $10.00 - powder coating: $20.00 - decal $10.00 - air filter: Free (found in trunk - new) total = $40.00

Attachments:
Air Cleaner Assembly.jpg
Air Cleaner Assembly.jpg [ 177.97 KiB | Viewed 1536 times ]
Air Cleaner Base.jpg
Air Cleaner Base.jpg [ 191.65 KiB | Viewed 1536 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:00 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

It's been slow going working on the Dart as my grandson is in Little League and that takes up some of the time we can spend together working on the car. We did get some things accomplished like finally getting the steering column dropped so we could remove the instrument cluster, found the connector for the wipers (they work...yay), found that the brake light switch was loose in its bracket, so we removed it, got it tightened up and re-installed it, now the brake lights are working as they should. We also removed the grill, came apart in several pieces. I think all of the pieces for the grill are there so the plan is to give everything a good cleaning (Logan's next job), JB Weld all of the pieces back together, some light sanding, then a repaint of the grill (note to self, need some Argent silver paint). If that works, we'll save some money that can be used elsewhere.
I disconnected the shift linkage at the column, and what a PITA!!! A previous owner used cotter pins, were bent all kinds of funky ways, and were rusted. It took me a while, but I finally managed to break off enough of the cotter pins to slide the linkage rods out. Cotter pin remnants are stuck in the holes of the rods. I will probably remove the rods completely from underneath the car so I can clean out the holes.
While we have the instrument cluster out, we will clean it up, give it a different color repaint as most of the plastic chrome is gone and there isn't any other "woodgrain" paint in the car, and give the gauges a white face overlay (found on www.whitefacegauges.net).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:29 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
It sounds like you're still plugging away at it. Good for you!

Rampage... I love Rampages...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:08 am 

Car Model:
It looks like Logan and you are doing very nice and careful work that will get you a better running Dart, with a more pleasing driving experience. Congrats and keep at it!!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:39 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Rob Simmons wrote:
It sounds like you're still plugging away at it. Good for you!

Rampage... I love Rampages...

Actually, I have 2 Rampages. The other one is a one of 218 made 1984 Direct Connection California Edition, 2.2, 5 speed, factory Shelby Charger Ground Effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:43 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Pic of my DC Rampage...

Attachments:
Back Home 03.jpg
Back Home 03.jpg [ 206.5 KiB | Viewed 1463 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next