Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:59 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Yea, I have to snip them to get them uploaded.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks Stan!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:03 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Found this yesterday.

Attachments:
Drag Valiant s.JPG
Drag Valiant s.JPG [ 85.31 KiB | Viewed 2629 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Where it all began:

Here is the very first SSRN article published in August 1997.

A NEW NEWSLETTER FOR AND ABOUT YOU
Okay, so now you've seen it all. A newsletter just about racing slant sixes! On the way back from Bristol - see complete report on page 3 - I got to thinking how incredible it was that 12 or more slant 6 powered cars could be racing together in the same place. I remembered back when I used to race 25 years ago how exciting it would have been to race against similar cars or to receive the recognition accorded these racers. Most of all I really long to get involved in this scene in some meaningful way.
While at Bristol I ran into Doug Dutra who had flown in from California to cover the event for the Slant 6 News. Every die hard slant 6 fan knows Doug as the Father of the reproduction Hyper-Pak manifold and slant 6 flogger supreme. Anyway, I bounced the idea for this newsletter off of him and his response was encouraging. Doug provided the article on the Bristol race and much of the motivation to make this project possible.

Over the past ten years or so Jack Poehler has devoted many pages in the Slant 6 News to stories about Slant 6 Racers and cars including many of the pioneer racers from the 60's. This coverage has stimulated much interest in racing these old relics and provided a medium for interested racers to get in touch with each other. A certain amount of healthy competition has produced the first 11 second quarter mile times that I have seen in a couple of decades. This year the Mopar Muscle Southern Classic held at Bristol International Raceway featured a "Slant 6 Shootout" bracket race for slant 6 powered cars as a part of their 2 day event. One of the goals of this newsletter will be to promote more all slant 6 events where we can get together and showcase our handiwork.
With the help of Jack Poehler of the Slant 6 News we have complied a mailing list for this newsletter including:

1. Anyone currently racing a slant 6 powered car.
2. Old timers who might be interested in current goings on.
3. Others such as suppliers or journalists who we depend on for new parts and publicity.

If you know of others in these categories who would enjoy receiving this newsletter send us their name, address, and phone number and we will add them to our mailing list. When we speak of racing we are usually talking about drag racing which seems to be the most popular type of competition for slant 6 powered machines but those racing on circle tracks, salt flats, or road courses are welcome and desired. High performance street machines are not going to be discussed here, the Slant 6 News features many articles on these types of vehicles.

The type of material we intend to cover in this newsletter might include:

1. Features hopefully with pictures on cars, people, shops, and events with results. Maybe a nostalgia piece for us old farts.
2. Technical information like performance achievements, dyno and flow bench data, evaluations of parts and techniques, and maybe a question and answer deal.
3. Promotion of and scheduling for upcoming events.
4. What you the readers want to see.

We plan to put out 2 or 3 issues of this rag over the next 6 months or so. The production will be crude but hopefully readable. If we can find the time to learn to use a computer publishing program we will give that a try. In any event we will endeavor to get information to you while it is still fresh. The length of the newsletter and therefore how much we can cover will be limited to what we can send with one stamp. We plan to send out these first issues at no cost but may have to solicit subscriptions at some time in the future.

For this project to be a success we need feedback from you our readers:

1. Tell us if you are interested in this project, encouragement is the lifeblood of ventures like this.
2. Tell us what you would like to see covered here.
3. Send us a picture of your car along with your best 1/4 or 1/8 mile speed and ET (flat out speed?). If possible we would like to know the racing weight including driver, displacement, fuel used, and the conditions under which the best times were achieved (air density, adjusted altitude, or at least the altitude of the track). We would use this information to set up some sort of performance hall of fame.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:34 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Here is the very first race report from that first SSRN #1 in August 1997:

GARY BRUNER SHOOTS OUT SIXES AT BRISTOL

The Mopar Muscle Southern Classic was held July 18-20 at the Bristol International Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee. This is one of the largest all Mopar events in the U.S. featuring a car shows, swap meet, and non stop drag racing action. Special brackets were offered for Super Stock Hemis, King of the Street, Quick 16, and Slant Sixes. The Little Red Wagon wheelstander and a Dodge Ram pickup powered by a jet engine were also on hand to amaze the fans. Over $10,000 in prize money was awarded during the weekend including $350 for the Slant Sixes. The weather was hot and humid but no rain fell during the event.

The less than optimum weather conditions took their toll on the high horsepower low qualifying cars. Even the exhibition cars struggled to make complete passes. In the end it was an underdog's weekend with the sixes winning one of the open competition brackets in addition to their own race.

The "Slant Six Shootout" was run off on Saturday afternoon following 3 qualifying sessions earlier in the day. Since 12 cars were on hand for a 16 car bracket everyone got to run in the handicapped eliminations. The track officials treated the six cylinder racers the same as those with the high dollar cars and they responded by following instructions and getting their cars to the staging lanes on the first call. The whole show was very professionally done; a credit to both racers and track personnel. Prior to the race, Doug Dutra representing the Slant 6 Club of America was interviewed by the track announcer. The stage was set for what is believed to be the biggest slant six race ever.

The 12 cars on hand ranged from the Cox Brother's low qualifying 66 Dart from Columbus, Ohio at 12.78 to a couple of stock appearing sedans at 18 seconds plus. 4 or 5 of the cars on hand had been built by Meril and/or Gary Bruner from nearby Maynardville, TN. and were now owned by various drivers. They were well engineered and finished, a trademark of Bruner craftsmanship. Most of these cars qualified in the 13's. The only other 12 second car in the field was the 74 Dart "Hillside Six" raced by the father/son team of Howard and Jason Davis out of Bedford, Indiana. Will Burns brought his sleek tube framed 67 Barracuda Coupe from Yorktown, VA. This car has low 12's written all over it but tuning problems resulted in a 13.49 best run for the weekend.

After 2 rounds of eliminations 3 cars remained; the Cox Brother's Dart, the sharp 66 Dart driven by Ron Hamby, and Gary Bruner's 64 Valiant. The Cox boys broke out against Hamby and Bruner got the bye run. The final saw Hamby dialed in at 14.69 versus Gary Bruner at 13.30. A better reaction time earned the win for Bruner at 13.34 and 98.6 MPH to Hamby's losing 14.71 and 90 MPH. So Gary Bruner one of the most skilled slant 6 engine builders is the Slant Six Shootout champion for 1997.

For his efforts Gary was awarded $175. 00 in cash and gift certificates. Hamby received $125.00 as runner up with $50.00 to the third place Cox Brothers.

Just another two bit bracket race you say? Not so! Right now this is the premier (only?) slant 6 only event. This is a well run race that is part of a bigger event which draws lots of fans and coverage. It is an opportunity to showcase our cars, a place for slant 6 racers to get together from different parts of the country, and a chance to see who has the strongest running machine. Next year let's have so many cars here that you really have to qualify to get into the featured race. I have a feeling that if we could show them some 11 second runs and maybe a few wheelies the fan reaction might be so positive that we could convince some of the other all Mopar shows to add a similar event.

Saturday evening there was an all comers 1/8 mile race for cars not utilizing electronic devices like transmission brakes or delay boxes. This race drew over 100 cars ranging from slant sixes to Hemi Super Stocks and King of the Street cars. When it was all over the Hemis were silent, the nitrous bottles were empty, and only one car remained. Gary Bruner's 64 Valiant of course!

So all in all the slant sixes had a pretty successful outing. Meril Bruner, Gary's Uncle and the man who probably has done more than anyone else to revive interest in racing slant sixes was heard to say. "We had them pretty well surrounded this year, with a few more slant six racers next year, we can really show 'em what a slant six can do." I know that Meril went out of his way to make sure there were as many cars here as possible. Next year let's all show our appreciation by making a point of attending this event.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:39 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

And the very first Technical Article:

A WHOLE LOT OF SHAKING GOING ON

We plan to feature technical articles of special interest to slant 6 racers in each issue of this newsletter. Until we can obtain contributions from those of you currently breaking parts, you'll have to bear with us as we rehash some recurrent problems.
As I go through the pits talking with racers I still hear stories about this or that bolt loosening up as a result of racing stresses. It is the nature of inline sixes, especially those with 4 main bearings and a long stroke, that as power output and RPMs increase they will fight back. They will twist, vibrate and shake in all directions in a effort to throw off bolts the same way a bucking bronco tries to throw off a rider.

There are several ways to try to minimize these effects through dampening, reducing reciprocating and rotating weight, etc. that could serve as the subject of a whole other article. What you can do is prevent critical bolts from loosening up at inopportune times and thus cutting short a promising day at the races.

Even if you have never encountered this type of problem it is good practice when building a slant 6 motor for racing to positively lock all of the following fasteners:

1. Crankshaft dampener attachment bolt.
2. Flywheel or drive plate attachment bolts.
3. Torque converter or pressure plate attachment bolts.
4. Camshaft attachment bolt or bolts.

At each of these locations the bolts and threaded holes must be cleaned, blue Loctited, and torqued to the proper specification for the fastener being used. Then some sort of device must be used to positively prevent the head of the bolt from loosening during operation. Methods of doing this include safety wiring, bendable tabs, and anti-rotation devices.

Depending on your familiarity with these techniques you might use one or another at each location. All seem to do the job in my experience. On my own engine I used a device like this (fig. 1) to prevent the crankshaft dampener bolt from turning. After tightening the bolt, the device was slipped over the head of the bolt and screwed into the pulley mounting holes in the dampener.

At the crankshaft flange I used 3 tabs (fig. 2) that used to be sold for the same purpose on Chevrolet V-8s. It is necessary to elongate the holes somewhat with a file to fit the slant 6 bolt pattern. After torquing the crank bolts down over these tabs the corners are bent up to prevent the bolts from turning. I don't believe I have seen these for sale in recent years but they could be easily duplicated in .030 thick steel. I wouldn't recommend a soft metal like aluminum or brass for this purpose.

Torque converter bolts can be the most troublesome and I can't remember exactly what I did with these but I have 2 ideas. First you could safety wire the bolts through the head and around the drive plate (fig. 3). This might necessitate using bolts with thicker heads so they would not be weakened too much by the safety wire hole. If you do this you should also relieve the back of the block to allow at least .120 clearance as these parts can and do move around a lot. A second solution would be to fashion a bendable tab or fixture to go over the head of the bolt (fig. 4) and then pop rivet it onto the converter drive plate. If you do this make sure each is exactly the same weight and location so as not to effect balance.

The cam bolt also likes to loosen up. I had good luck drilling the bolt head and running a safety wire around the cam drive sprocket (fig. 5). Some slant 6 racers drill their cams and sprockets for 3 bolts like a Hemi. This is quite a bit of work and more so if you like to try a lot of cams. I believe that safety wiring or a tab system like that sold for Chevrolets should also be used with the 3 bolt sprocket. I always found the single bolt system to work just fine as long as it was secured with safety wire.

Once these locking systems are established, they add very little extra time to assembly, while preventing many problems. Nothing can ruin a day at the races like a loose torque converter bolt sawing into the back of your cylinder block.

I will try to figure out how to include the accompanying photos and diagrams...

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

And the final piece of that first SSRN.

In subsequent issues we would like to feature articles on technical subjects from you the readers. Some possible subjects for future articles are:

1. Vibration dampeners.
2. Crank forgings - which are superior.
3. Rod failures - what happens and how to prevent it.
4. Oil pump-camshaft gear meshing problems.
5. Mushroom lifters.
6. Head gasket sealing.
7. Cylinder wall failure.
8. Metal transfer at main caps, crank flange, etc.

Please contact us if you have something to pass along concerning these or other technical areas that would be of interest.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

In putting together our mailing list we wanted to send this newsletter to those who had raced slant sixes in the past. For many of the names we remembered from a clipping or an old picture, we have no current address. If any of you who do get the newsletter know an address or phone number for any of these racers, please pass them along to us:

Jim Witt - Warrren, MI.
Jim Kuhl - Mt. Clemens, MI.
James & Will Tackett - Niles, OH.
Bill Hatcher - Pheonix, AZ.
Ron Root - Los Angeles, CA.
Steve Layton - Oceanside, CA

Here and there I'll do some more converting of files so I can add the text from the scanned SSRNs.

(I hope I ain't gonna git in no copyright trouble with Seymour 'bout doin' this... :? :shock: )

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
IIIRC, that Bristol race was televised on the old IHRA Inside Drag Racing show that was on one of the cable channels. That and Doug's Slant Sickness article are what got me to buy the 76 Duster and race it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:42 am 

Car Model:
If I had known all of that was going on in TN in 1997 I would have come out with my 64 Dart for that and not the Nats in 1998 (which had only one Slant car racing, mine, IIRC).

I was really inspired by the articles in Mopar Action and HP Mopar in the late 80s on Meril Bruner's Half Hemi and Stan Aiton's Barracuda. Still racing my first car I started modifying in 1988. Hopefully will be badder next year with some new additions...

Thanks for posting those, Rob!

Slant on to all,

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:16 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

slantzilla wrote:
IIIRC, that Bristol race was televised on the old IHRA Inside Drag Racing show that was on one of the cable channels. That and Doug's Slant Sickness article are what got me to buy the 76 Duster and race it.

That's cool!

I stumbled onto the Slant 6 Club of America in 1990 when I bought my first slant car (72 Dart). Articles in there about hopping up the Slant peaked my interest. Then meeting Stan Aiton and seeing his Barracuda with the Shaker hood scoop in 1991 really did it! When I got back to Arizona I started racing it bone stock for several years. I won a bunch of Friday Night Drag trophies at Firebird Raceway running high 19s... Thanks again Stan!! :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:55 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Thank you guys, I appreciate it.

I need help from the old farts or the gurus.

Anyone remember a 65-66 Dart Altered Wheelbase car from the 60's or 70's named Poison Dart?
It was a slant six running C-Gas.
The owner driver had been referred to as the Godfather of the Slant 6.
It's not Pete, that was my first guess.
I have a good friend looking for the history of the car.
Don't know where the car came from but it's in PA now, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:08 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I remember it! That is all! :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:34 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Pretty sure someone in Nebraska had it a few years back. I saw it for sale on Ebay and talked to Mike about it. Mike knew the car and had been asked to build a motor for it and drive it. He passed.

Was the original owner Pete McNicoll by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:15 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Doing a search I found Pete's Obituary.
I did not even know he had passed away.
I spoke with him in 2019 and asked he some questions.
Another great one gone.
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/io ... d=18481339

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:12 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

:cry: :cry:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next