Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:20 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
For our '75 Darts wiper linkage bushings, I have tried several factory MOPAR "NOS" bushings, but found that the "O" in NOS stands for "OLD": really, really old. The plastic crumbled easily when trying to install them. Back to Dorman 118-301 bushings. They fit, install fairly easily using a 9/16" socket and Channel-lock pliers or a C-clamp. The problem: they heat up and scream mercilessly. I've tried lubing the sockets before installation using Dow-Corning DC-4 silicone grease, and others using white lithium grease, or Lubriplate white grease. I have avoided using WD-40. My concern is finding a lubricant that works and won't attack the (Dorman) plastic compound, causing the bushings to disintegrate rapidly. I'm going to try LPS-1 or -2 next.
Any thoughts or tech help of lubricants here would be appreciated. P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
At least up until 5 yrs ago or so, you could get new Mopar bushings and they were very good. I wonder if a dry teflon-loaded grease like "dri slide" might work?

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I did one of my vehicles, about 1 yr ago. Used bushings from my local Mopar dealer. Those bushings come with a white lube, already in them.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Both good info, Thanks. P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:20 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Yeah, I used a set of echlin brand and added a q tip of white grease to the cup before assembly, sadly after a few decades
of use especially in wet climates the bushings in the wiper shafts tend to squeal and lose their clearance...to bad ma mopar didn't add
an accessible grease zerk for these (much easier on the F-body through the removable cowl..)...

I actually like the 1967 linkage as they had brass washer clips on teh ends of the studs to retain them (which will keep working
after the bushing is half toast unlike the nylon bushings that cause the link arm to fall off...)... I thought one of members was
working on a stud replacement with through bushing and retainer to fix this design long term...but that never came to pass.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Thanks DI. A few decades? I'm getting about 6 years when they work. 6 days is when the latest started to squeal.
I'll let folks know how further trials turn out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:55 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Out of frustration, today I disconnected all 4 plastic bushings and lubed them with just black moly wheel bearing grease. The squeal went away, but I'll watch to see how the grease affects the plastics.