Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Re: Pontiac Trophy 4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The 351M is just a 351 Cleveland with the 400M, 429 and 460 bell housing pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
hyper_pak wrote:
My Dad had a 62 or 63 Tempest with that engine.
Had a unique sound, our boxer would wait at the front screen door when she heard him coming home.

Crazy thing, right.....
No AC, roll down windows, no auto trans, how did we survive!

It's a wonder! An aunt and uncle of mine bought a new Tempest ragtop with that 4 cylinder. I think it was a '63. Theirs had the 4 bbl. option as I recall. I do remember that it had a bit of shake when they pulled away from a stop.

A girlfriend, in the early 70's, had a '64 Tempest with the engine that replaced the Trophy four. A downsized Chevy inline 6 with 215 ci. That thing was so slow off the line that crossing an intersection could be a fright. I don't why they thought they had to downsize it from the 230 ci that Chevy used. It did have pretty much the same output as a slant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:04 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
DadTruck wrote:
Both AMC and IH had 304 CI engines
Just like both Chrysler and AMC had 360 V8s…Chevrolet; Oldsmobile; Buick, and Pontiac all had different 350 V8s, and Chrysler had a 350 V8 of their own…Chevrolet had a 305 V8 and GMC had a 305 V6…Chrysler and Ford both had 170 Sixes…

Ford FE 360 as well, had many people saying the same crap when they were practically brand new. I guess using some other corporation's stuff like the Powerflite(or whatever it's rendition is called) lent AMC to the idea they used other brands commonly. They did use a cool little GM (Buick I believe) V-6 in the CJs IIRC, maybe the Iron Duke Poncho as well? I owned a '60 Willys 1-ton Pickup that had a Chebby adapter and a 230 inline-6 w/broken rings. Replaced with a mid-'70's 250 w/HEI, would go about 70mph with the 4.90's, that was more than enough in that danger-buggy!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:10 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Back on the Trophy unit, that was definitely a cool, but short-lived abortion. Rope-shaft & rear transaxle setup ditto. I admire the willingness to try new ideas, but there seemed to be some lack of combined vision/R&D, maybe like the turbine cars I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:21 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
On the 61 or 62 Video of the Daytona races there is a pontiac out in front for a lot of the video.
Lee Petty passes it and goes on to win the race.
Not sure how hopped up the pontiac was, we know the Valiant was.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:34 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
DadTruck wrote:
IH did that with the 304 v8 engine. That made a 152 CI 4 cylinder.
The 4 cylinder motor had its own unique core package and casting tooling. But it was cast with two ‘wings’ on the side with the missing bank of cylinders that allowed the block casting to run down the same machining transfer line as the 304 v8 block.
I remember that the 4 cylinder motor’s crank had much larger counter weights than the v8 block had. Other engine internal parts like the pistons, rods, valves, pushrods were common with the 304 v8. The exhaust manifold was also common. The intake manifold was unique to the slanted I4. It was fully water jacketed and used engine coolant to warm the intake runners.
The slanted IH I4 was the base motor in the first generation Scouts.
IH also halved the 392 v8 to a 196 slant 4. There were many Scouts here in Texas on ranches, its good that Scouts are becoming popular - Volkswagen now owns the rights to Scout.

There is a lot of talk about getting rid of auto dealers, doing so possibly could have saved Pontiac, Olds, Plymouth, Mercury - doesn't make sense to produce a full line of cars anymore for a nameplate, but a single Pontiac model etc, could have been marketed when it made sense. The Chrysler nameplate is barely hanging on. The Buick/Olds 215 is the motor of the '61 era that gets my interest - the GM compacts were right for the '70s, not so well suited for the early '60s. The 3800 v6 that soldiered on into the 2000s was based on the 215 v8 - more or less, the Olds 215 had different heads than the Buick v8 version. A Chevy Vega with the 215 v8 could have been a hit. Jeep should have nabbed the rights to 'Scout', but trucks and SUVs are now priced way too high. Scout could have been called a Farmall as it was so simple.