Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Friends don't let friends filter with Frams.
I want bumper stickers! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:41 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
...at least just about everybody here seems to agree on the Fram issue! :lol:

Solidarnosc!!!

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Interesting. I've never had a problem with Fram air or fuel filters. Of course, I change them twice a year anyway. Now the oil filters...they truly do suck! So does there PCV valves. I like the bigger ACDelco PCV (no problems with condensation in the winter driving short trips....like milky gunk on the bottem of the oil fill cap) like with the Fram PCV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 pm 
Board Sponsor

...yeah, I think it's mainly the oil filters that we're united in disgust over. I agree, their PCV's "suck" too! ;) I stick with gennie Mopar units though, none of that "generic motors" crap goin' on my Chrysler mills!

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:59 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
The PCV was on my original engine when I bought the car. For some reason I kept it in the trunk, in my little Rubbermaid box I keep spare oil, extar rotor and ballast resistor (of course) and such. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it after many Fram, Purolater valves and an engine swap. I even tried a Fram equevilent of the AC unit.....didn't work as well. So, I'll keep the little fella around. 8) As long as it works, I don't care who makes it! (I also run a Nippondenso starter and a battery from my folks Camry. Seven years old and the green eye is still green.) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:45 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
you know fram is cheap when they sell it kamart and all those others marts out there after seeing that and just recently moved to wix filters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:38 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
[Friends don't let friends filter with Frams] For those of us who don't wish to deface our chrome, I recommend tee shirts as well :roll: About the only game in town for my application was a AC Delco PCV, no problems to date.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:02 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
thought i was the only one with a rubbermaid box of various parts and fluids in the trunk.

glad to hear of a like mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Ha! seems like we're coming out the rubbermaid closet :lol:

I have 2 rubbermaids (one for oil, power steering fluid and auto trans fluid, say spillables, and the other with bunch of pieces like belts, fuses, lamps, etc etc) then 2 toolboxes, and a whole bunch of crap. Throw in a lil mirror and 2 tampax and it would turn into a lady's purse.

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

You guys got a rubber fetish? ;)

Lessee, in the trunk of Kermit is toolbox, spare alternator, spare regulator, spare distributor, spare ballast resistor, spare carburetor, spare plug wires, spare hoses, spare belts, spare light bulbs, spare tire, original bumper jack, old-timey scissors jack, three qts oil, two jugs water, two bottles steering fluid, one bottle trans fluid, one bottle brake fluid, one can WD40, one Halloween fake scary arm, one Halloween fake scary leg, I could go on and on! :shock: :D

Be advised that I almost never need any of this stuff (well except the prank arm and leg), it's just insurance since I drive Kermit hundreds of miles from home, having it gaurantees I won't need most of it and there's still room o'plenty in the trunk, that stuff's just stowed in the periphery...

Keepin 'em rollin'
D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:10 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Well, this thread went a bit off topic! I also keep my vacuum guage in the trunk for those "60 second tune ups".:mrgreen:

Post subject: Back To the Topic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:27 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Getting back to the fuel line, I ran mine over the cover using a short length of pre cut tubing with fittings that you can get at auto parts stores. I bent it into a gentle 90 degree curve and added a hose barb and a clear fuel filter mounted vertically. The filter looks like glass but its really Lexan so no worry about it shattering. From there I used reinforced fuel injection hose covered by a heat resistant tubing to the carb.

It works well and the hot start problems I have with modern gas are a little better now. There's enough extra hose and clearance to allow me to get the valve cover off too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:36 am 

Car Model:
That's a nice, clean fuel line installation. Keep an eye on the lexan fuel filter; some of the additives in modern fuel will attack polycarbonate over time.

(Say...who made that orange oil filter I see? 8) :shock: )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:38 am 

Car Model:
I carry a fairly complete selection of tools and parts in my trunk. It's a magical tool/parts kit, which contains:
  • Every tool except for the one I need at any given time
  • Every spare part except the one that has just failed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:46 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
I carry a fairly complete selection of tools and parts in my trunk. It's a magical tool/parts kit, which contains:
  • Every tool except for the one I need at any given time
  • Every spare part except the one that has just failed.
I hear ya!

Matt King of Car Craft once wrote an editorial extolling the virtues of his "magic bolt box" that always seemed to have just the right bolt he needed for any given project. Later, he published my letter where I cited my equally magical but evil bolt box. It has a thousand and one fasteners in it, and it always knows which one I need and makes that size or anything close to it vanish...

Kinda like I have four dozen tail/brake light bulbs squirreled away in various cars and other locations. If I need a 1156, all I have is 1157, and if I need 1157, all I have is 1156's... go figure :cry: :lol: .

D/W