Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
I'd love to get an aluminium block...
You shoulda e-mailed me five years ago when I sold off most of the five that I used to own. :-( Now I only have two: The one in my '62, and the spare.
Quote:
how much weight does that saves?
One of my favorite tricks used to be calling up a machine shop and telling them I was bringing in a Dodge 225 slant-6...

...then showing up at the shop, opening the trunk of the car, lifting the block out and carrying it by hand in through the front door of the shop. "Here's the slant-6 I called about bringing in. Where should I put it?".
Quote:
what measures I have to take in order to find out if I can get away with argentinian made cranks, conn rods, pistons ad head?
The forged crank and its matching conrods, and the cylinder head, are interchangeable between iron and aluminum. I have to believe the Argentine-built slants (were they actually, factually cast and machined there, not imported?) used the same blueprints...
Quote:
In another delirious matter, I'd love to have an alum head.
You and me and the rest of us all. I had a line on one, from a former Chrysler engine engineer. Not one of the 1960 prototype heads, but one of the mid-'70s prototype heads with the better combustion chamber. Every few years I'd write or call him and offer to buy it, and he'd always say "No, I might use it someday". The last time I called him, "Oh, I sold off all my old slant-6 stuff last year. That head went with a '65 Valiant wagon I sold. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the feller who bought it."

Raxafraxinfrizzinfrazzingrrr...
Quote:
What kinda shape would be better for combustion chambers?
ALMOST ANYTHING would be better than the stone-age combustion chamber we're stuck with now.

The daydream I have is the current 4.0 Jeep motor's cylinder head design reworked to fit the Slant. Or, as long as we're off in dreamy-dream land, a scaled-down version of the head used on Chrysler's new Hemi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:41 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hmmm, I would also be in the market for a head gasket.
I too own one aluminum block and I know of one that owns one other AND the aluminum head.

It says "special".

I have tried buying it from him before anyone else does. But he will not sell. :cry: He will not use it, ever... :cry: He is a very stupid grumpy old man :x Will probably be sold as aluminum junk the day he die, or thrown in the local lake by his daughters stupid boyfriend/husband who drives a stupid bmw.

It depressess me to think about it. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:19 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Hmmm, I would also be in the market for a head gasket.
I too own one aluminum block and I know of one that owns one other AND the aluminum head.

It says "special".

The heads with "SPECIAL" cast in aren't made out of aluminum—it's an iron head that was made early in the production run of aluminum blocks, with careful control of the combustion chamber placement and the notches for pushrod clearance (which were later incorporated into all heads).

On the other hand, there were four or five aluminum heads made in '59-'60 for internal engineering research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:33 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
almost all of the RG engines that were used in argentina's production run where argentinian blueprints of the american mid-developed slant (meaning: later than 63 - older than the 5 freeze plugs blocks) the head is the pre-68 (??) non revisited combustion chamber IIRC from doc's articles.
all of the 170 CI slants in argentina are import. Only found in 1960-61 valiants. Then they started to use the first RG 225 made in argentina, but blueprinted from the same year (still developing engine) american one. Then about in mid 68- 69 they retooled for the engine that they used from 69 to 79.
How much is worth a good aluminium block?

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:42 pm 

Car Model:
Aluminum blocks in good condition seem to fetch between $350 and $600 these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:09 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
it's an iron head
Aluminum head? I knew that is iron made. I seem to have too much in my head :roll:
So the head with "SPECIAL" cast is no different from a later head, meaning not really anything to pay extra cash for? Unless I really want to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:33 am 

Car Model:
Well, technically not quite identical, but not something you gotta-gotta-gotta have.