Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:10 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
As a matter of fact, many argentinian 1920 (not the 1922 I told you guys about) had brass floats.
Hey, really? Cool! Let us know if you find 'em, willya?
Quote:
I've sent SSD some argentinian parts for slants that are way easier to get (and kinda cheaper even including the shipping) than up there. Perhaps Dan can comment on the goods quality.
"Good".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
"Good"
that means not great, huh? do you're talking about the turn signal switch or just the silvio's stuff? did you get a piece of that maltraveled gasket to see the material?

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject: carter carb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:16 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
if i have a holley 1945 one barrel on now, would i have to make changes to my intake manifold to install a carter 2 barrel? would i get better engine performance, worse gas milage? i assume the biggest advantage is reliability...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:27 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
"Good"
that means not great, huh?
Naw, it means I haven't had a chance to investigate them closely, yet!

Remember, they're a lot closer to me than they were, but they're still an international border away...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
WOW! :shock: Here I fell by the wayside on this string, and it's developed into a possible source of brass floats for the 1920. (Note I said possible.)

On a sidebar, I did a bit of digging, and found a place in Texas, (from an old string), that claimed to have them. Gave them a call, and he said yes, he's got one, and it's $22, but it didn't sound too promising for three of them. I then called the Holley tech line, and was told that yes, (as my manual showed), there was a running part number change for the 1920 float, but they didn't know what it was. I then got a phone number for a place in Florida, that told me the same thing Dan says......they don't exist. (This place is/was THE shop that Holley sent all all it's OEM type work to.) The part number change was due to going from a 12 gram foam float to a 7 gram foam float, (along with a corresponding lighter spring).

I conclude that the place in Texas had the 1904/1908 brass float, and thought that's what I wanted.

So.....I'm back to square one with my triple 1920/visi-flo project. Got the bowls & hardware, can still round up the carbs, but need a brass float source. I'm sincerely hoping Argentina can come up with something.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:16 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
SSD: Thanks for the info.

Looks like this baby's missing a few parts (still a good deal, tho'). I'll discuss with the good Doctor whether or not he has replacement parts.

Anybody know where a good digital image of this carb can be found? A search on Google for Carter BBS brought me right back to a slantsix.org repair manual scan, but the carb they're showing is somewhat different. I also found (in addition to some nice photos of Jimmy Carter) an exploded view of the correct carb but w/ no key to parts names or functions. My factory service manual for '72 shows only the same images as the above-mentioned scan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:50 pm 

Car Model:
The images for this carb would be in a '70-'71 FSM.