Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: A Comedy of Errors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Bare with me. This is mostly anecdotal.
'83 RAM D150 225-2 A833O

Taking a cue from argentina-slantsixer, I manufactured a delrin spacer for my Carter BBD using the original gasket as a template. The intention was to prevent overrun by shielding heat from the carb.

When I initially removed the carb, I noticed that I could rock it side to side, front to back because the nuts were not very tight. I was able to remove them by hand. I assumed this looseness may be a source of a vacuum leak which would be corrected with the new spacer. I sandwiched the new spacer between two thin carbon gaskets I got from NAPA.

Figuring I should check it while I was under there, I checked the timing. It read somewhere around 20*. I turned it in to 12* which didn't help at all. A few days later, I turned it back to about where it was. From that point on, I had problems with the truck idling. I could still drive it, but I had to keep my foot on the gas. I even went as far as turning the idle screw in a great deal.

Needing a functional truck, I started to read more from my FSM and this site, as well as having conversations with more seasoned auto enthusiasts. I got my boss to tinker with the truck at work one night. We played around with the mixture screws. They were out 3.5 turns. He turned them in to 2 turns and back out another half turn. It didn't seem to make a difference.

A few days later, I began working on it by turning the mixture screws again. I managed to get them as far out as 5.5 turns and in all the way. It didn't matter where they were. I figured there were other problems.

I decided to get a new gasket for the carb and go back over everything I had done.

In the process of removing the carb again, I had a problem removing the fuel line. The nut behind the flare wouldn't turn off the brass fitting. I disconnected the other end and worked on it off the truck. Instead of turning the nut, I unscrewed the brass fitting from the carb. I was then able to remove the fuel line. With the carb now free and thinking there may be some blockage, I took my air compressor and some spray cleaner to every hole, crevice and moving piece I could find.

I installed a new fuel filter.

While reassembling, I noticed the opening in the delrin spacer I had made was not as big as the manifold hole. The new gasket was also noticeably bigger. It also had metal sleeves in the bolt holes, which the original did not. After reassembly, I went to turn her over. I managed to get it to turn over one good time before it died. When I looked at the manifold, I noticed a great deal of fuel coating it and some of the carb. I blew it off with the air compressor and tried cranking again. This time I watched the carb as it shot two steady streams of gas an inch or two straight up out of the carb. In desperation, I called my boss who told me to bring it in to work for him to look at.

He tore the thing apart that weekend. He said there were pieces missing from behind the brass fitting I had removed. Whoops. Luckily, NAPA had the exact replacement parts for only $8. He got the new needle valve, spring and fitting, readjusted everything and gave it back.

Again, I reattached everything and cranked her up. She fired up, but was idling high. I let it warm up then attached a tach to idle it down. Warmed up, and with the vacuum advance disconnected set the idle to 1600 rpm on the second stage of the choke cam, or whatever it's called. I disengaged the cam and began idling it down to 700 rpm so I could properly set the timing. It took a while, but I got it to bounce between 700 and 800 rpm while I set the timing. I got it to between 12* and 14*. Turned her back off, reattached the vacuum line, and started up once more. Idle shot up considerably, to about 1400 rpm I think. Turned the screw back out to idle her down once more and settled on 900 rpm.

The truck is running considerably better. But, I still have to keep my foot on the gas when trying to idle. If I give it a little, it will rev up and stabilize. After a few seconds, it will die out completely. My guess would be that the bowl fills up then empties out and dies. Think I may need a new fuel pump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No, I don't think you need a new fuel pump. I think your carburetor has problems, and there may be additional issues as well (vacuum leaks, distributor/timing problems).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:47 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The distributor and the carb are both reman'ed. But even when they were installed by a professional, the engine idled high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:05 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
The distributor and the carb are both reman'ed.
All the more reason to suspect them.

"Remanufactured" parts are virtually all garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:45 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
geeez... did I cause all this thing? :lol:

I think that as stated by Dan you should inspect carefully both the carb and the dist, and check for damper slippage (referred to the timing inconsistency)

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:21 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Nah, not your fault. I just didn't have a good idea of what I was doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:39 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I just didn't have a good idea of what I was doing.
that's under my name in my business card :lol:

Please use e-mail button istead of PM'ing. I do log in sometimes but I'll be answering quicker thru e-mail.