Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:35 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Reject sez: "I need a year, make and model."
You: "Fine, whatever. It's a 1972 Dodge Dart."
Reject: "Truck or car?"
Hee hee! Wanna have fun? Try telling 'em you need a Ford 5.0 intake gasket for your 82 Volvo. I can just about cause brain hemorrhages with a statement like that... :)

Anyway, for some items I highly recommend finding a local speed shop or race car parts store, and ignition parts are definitely in that category. Ask them if they carry the "Blue Streak" version of Standard Motor Parts' stuff. The inside terminals are brass, the tolerances are tight, the distributor caps last quite a long time. Last I checked (about a year ago) they could still order me a cap and rotor for the slant six.

I'd highly encourage anyone who cares about it to order one or more. As long as people keep buying things in sufficient quantities, the beancounters will let the factories keep making stuff. If we know there's a good part available but choose not to buy it in order to save a few bucks, we're ensuring extinction. Which reminds me, I guess I'd better go get another cap and rotor this weekend. 8)

- Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
As one of the people who deals w/ (and occaisonally is) one of the parts store 'dimwits' I feel compelled to chime in. At my place of employment (O'Reilly's) the first thing most countermen do is try our computer database. Things are grouped catagorically, and yes, occaisonally we slip and ask a pointless question. Seeing as how many of us weren't born when most of the cars discussed on this board were made, however, I believe that a little understanding is in order.

Many would think that whether a truck is four wheel drive or two wouldn't affect which oil filter is required for a given engine. Yet on many (even late models) it does. My favorite example of such things is the late 90's Explorers with the 4.0. One has to know whether you have the tow package or not to determine which filter it takes. (The only significant difference between the two filters is that one has metric threads and the other has standard.)

While some customers may realize subtle things like this make a difference, the large majority do not, and respond with my favorite phrase, "It's a 'insert engine here.' They're all the same." I particularly run into this with people building Chevy 350's. All the parts are /not/ the same between the the early 70's (or whenever they made the first one) and the current ones (even the pre-vortechs), and I couldn't tell you what split during what years, nor what differences there are between the motor out of a truck or a camero. (Or, for a better example, think of the prestolite distributors that they used on slants for a while.) I know that most of the people on this board are far more knowledgable about what they need than average, but unfortunately you don't have "I know what I'm talking about" tattoed on your forehead. Those that actually know what they need are in the minority.

I know we're not talking about Chevy's here, but the average parts man knows even less about slants and early Chrysler products than he does about Chevy's. Not because he is stupid, but because he uses such information on a very limited basis. It just isn't effective for them to know everything (or even most things) about older products. In the half a year I've been working, I've sold parts for a slant all of three times. For the average person to learn and remember the subtle differences like different oil filters for diff. apps, would take an incredible amount of time and training. They would then feel entitled (and should be entitled) to better pay, which will in turn drive the price of parts up even further.

Now the reason I like our store more than many of our competitors is because we do actually have the manufacturers catalogs on a shelf for most of the lines we carry (autozone doesn't, and can't do anythign if it's not in their computerized catalog). For oddball relays, the Borg Warner picture book has saved me countless times. When it comes to internal engine parts, I usually just save myself the trouble and pull the Sealed Power book before I even touch our computers. Sadly, even many of the newer books are woefully indaquate on their listings for older and/or imported cars (brake parts come to mind), and the older books have either fallen apart or disappeared.

This isn't all to say that there aren't flat out stupid people behind the counter. I know several of them, and would never reccomend that anyone ask them for a part. But just remember we are dealing with increasingly limited resources, don't have encyclopedic knowledge, and generally deal with people who don't know what they are talking about.

Wow.. this ended up a little longer and more ranting than I intended. Guess I really am that desperate to avoid finishing my diff eq and mechanics of materials assignments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:08 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
late 90's Explorers with the 4.0. One has to know whether you have the tow package or not to determine which filter it takes. (The only significant difference between the two filters is that one has metric threads and the other has standard.)
Stupid cråp like this is reason number 3,990,390 why I will not have a Ford product.

Quote:
Now the reason I like our store more than many of our competitors is because we do actually have the manufacturers catalogs on a shelf for most of the lines we carry
That is an enormous and significant difference between your shop and the McPartsStore places I'm griping about.
Quote:
For oddball relays, the Borg Warner picture book has saved me countless times.
Yeah, illustrated buyer's guides with good photos are worth their weight in gold, eh!
Quote:
I really am that desperate to avoid finishing my diff eq and mechanics of materials assignments.
Procrastinate now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:30 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
nice one dan :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:02 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Incompetent/uncaring parts people are not limited to chain stores. Dealerships suffer the same malady and part of the problem extends to mangement.

My nearest Chrysler dealer has only the computer. If a part or a model isn't in it, they have no back up. The parts guy told me the manager made them get rid of their old manuals because they took up too much space, so he sends me to another dealer 10 miles down the road. That dealer has books going back to the early 60's and a couple of real Mopar guys behind the counter who will take the time to research information. They even use the locator to find a part for you.

Guess which dealer sells the most cars?

Post subject: F Napa...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:28 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Well I get to say that after today, I'll no longer use NAPA and go to Carquest and my 'mom & pop' shop in town...

I had ordered a set of leaf spring bushings and shackles on 1/3 and they said it'd take a week before they could have them in as the parts are available but only from Florida...OK I wasn't in any rush, they took my name and said they'd call when the parts came in...Flash forward to today... I walk in with my reciept and they say "Well we don't call unless there's a problem with the order" (same 55 year old parts counter clerk)...
Then he gets my order, and I'm missing a shackle...Then he looks and says, "Yep you ordered two..." Starts toodling on the computer... "That will come from Modesto and should be here on Monday, we just forgot to ask for two..."

Jeeez....

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:49 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
What parts stores does everyone else go to?

I still use NAPA, just am careful not to get the "low line" parts as Dan mentioned. I also use a one-store local outfit, O'Reilly (with the same caveat as NAPA), and a small local chain (A-Line) that's affiliated with Federated Auto Parts.

I also use NAPAonline- its been working pretty reliably for me since around New Year's. It was flaky for a lot of December, though- I think they did a pretty big site overhaul.

I agree with other folks, a lot depends on the store or local area manager, as well as the guys behind the counter. All of them have crappy parts, and most of them still carry good parts if you press the issue and are willing to wait for a part to come from the warehouse instead of taking whatever's on the shelf at the store.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
When I first started working on my '60 Dart I thought it was great that there was a NAPA store really close to me--so close I could walk to it in about 10-15 minutes. After going there a few times, though, I've decided only to go there in an emergency. I don't even know where to begin--the place is small, cramped, and terribly lit. Stuff on the shelves that looks like it hasn't been touched since the 80s. There are usually two guys in there--the "younger" one, who's probably 40-ish and looks incredibly bored/depressed/deranged like maybe he lives in the stockroom. Then there's a big, blustery older guy who just doesn't give a $#!+.

In one of my earliest visits I asked the younger guy which kind of ATF would work in my car since they don't make Type A Suffix A anymore. He made no effort to look it up or anything, and told me "yeah...uh...Dexron...I'm pretty sure...uh...that's gonna be it..." Very confidence inspring. I didn't use the stuff until I did the research on my own.

The nail in the coffin was when I went in looking for 30R9 fuel injector hose for my new fuel line. The old guy says something like, "Geez, never hearduvit. Whaddaya need that for? This'll do ya," and hands me the 30R7 hose that I was specifically told not to use. I haven't been back since.

But, ah...the NAPA in Wilton on Rt. 7--I drive the 7-8 miles up there because it's worth it. It's a bigger, well-lit store with much more stock and guys who know what they're doing. One of the guys, Rudy, has his own personal catalogs there that go back to the 50s and owns several old cars. Knows the answers to my old car questions off the top of his head most of the time. When I asked for 30R9 hose, he asked, "how much do ya need?"

If you're in my area please go there and avoid the New Canaan NAPA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:55 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I use the NAPA in the closest town(22 miles) I was 27 when the current owner bought the place (he was 24). He had been a parts man in a big place and had learned well. He needed customers and I had a small auto repair place,,(like Charlie S). I was patient,,,he was patient and we learned together.
I dont do auto repair anymore but he has grown a small NAPA into a full service auto centre. The mechanic started there at age 19....worked on my Sub when it had 125000km and is still working on it 700,000 km later. I average about $1000/month their in parts and repairs.
The cool part is when I want a part they always get it....from somewhere. It took them 2 weeks to get me a rubber valve cover gasket for the Valaint,,,,but they did get it.
Why?....because I pay my bill every month and expect professional service and high quality parts. It will be 30 years in March.

Today they are replacing the balance shaft and timing belt on my GFs Eagle Talon TSI. They will charge me for 4 hours labour and fleet cost on the belts.....even though it took them all day yesterday and half of today. On balance it will be worth it to them. My GF will send all her co-workers their way. (they all love her car)

We have a local tire store.(Kal Tire)...they sell ALL the tires in town. ....including Log trucks , loaders etc. They sell more tires in a town of 3500 people than many shops in town of 10,000. Why?....because they will fix your flat, rotate your tires, put on your snow tires for free. The only thing they ever charge for is tires. They do this for everyone , whether you buy your tires from them or not. (yes even freekin tourists.) They actually want your business......and man do they get it.

You cant walk into a store anywhere and expect service . Relationships take time and patience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
the place is small, cramped, and terribly lit. Stuff on the shelves that looks like it hasn't been touched since the 80s. There are usually two guys in there--the "younger" one, who's probably 40-ish and looks incredibly bored/depressed/deranged like maybe he lives in the stockroom. Then there's a big, blustery older guy who just doesn't give a $#!+.
The funny thing is that all of the above is often an indicator of a really GOOD parts store. That description fits one of my favorite one-store local outfits to a tee. Throw in signs on the wall that say "you want it WHEN?" "Protected by Smith&Wesson," and "I've got one good nerve left, and you're gettin on it!" and you're there. Oh, and the counter freaks range in age from 20 to 90, are all car guys, and feel compelled to insult your choice of car- no matter what it is. Its just part of the "service," but boy can they get the parts when it comes down to it. "So, d'ja break the rubber band in that piece of **** again? Haw Haw Haw! OK, yeah, I can get that wheel cylinder for a '49 Plymouth Special DeLuxe- I can't believe you admit to owning that thing, buddy- by thursday. Wanna pay now or just come back? I'll put y'er name on it, you're the only one in town that would take it anyway, everbody else got better sense than that." And it would be the same if you wanted a fan belt for a 94 Chevy pickup, too. The only people they insult more than the customers are each other.