Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I have a '68 valiant with a model 1920 carb (?) and it is impossible to adjust the choke (I hate this carb with a passion). I want to switch to a carter 2-barrel. I was thinking about getting a rebuilt carter from Autozone for a Volare, and getting an adapter to fit it to the stock intake. Is this ok, or is there a better way? Anyone/Everyone please help....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Stop!, don't buy a remanufactured carb from pep boys or whatever and don't use an adapter on your 1 barrel intake. Do it the right way and get a 2 barrel intake to go with your two barrel carb.

If you hate the 1920 so much then get yourself a Carter BBS. Holleys are junk anyway. Slantsixdan can tell where you can locate your parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:58 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Jeb's right, remanufactured carbs from the parts store will cause you no end of hassle.

What's your budget look like for this project? I mean the whole[//b] budget for expenses now and later. What's attractive about parts store carbs is their low price in right-now dollars, but what you don't see on the price sticker is their high cost in terms of constant headaches and unreliability, repeated futile repair attempts, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Honestly, I have played around with all sorts of carbs and the Holley 1920 has to be my favorite. If you really get desperate and can afford to be without your car for awhile, mail your carb to me and I will rebuild it for you right. You pay for the parts and shipping, but I will rebuild it, clean it, and adjust it for free. If you are going to run a one barrel carb on a slant,. I think the 1920 is probably the best choice for simplicity and durability.