Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Interesting! All I can do is guess, and my guess, then, is that early-production AP5s used North American-spec cowls for some strange reason.

Looking in my R through VG FPC, there are three sets of parts for the wiper system on an AP5. Very early production uses one set, early production uses another set, and late production shares another set altogether with AP6 and VC. Early/late production parts splits are fairly common in AP5s, because they span the North American 1963-1964 model years, and there were quite a number of mechanical changes for '64. Wiper motor mount, wiper arm attachment, carburetor choke, door latches and catches, temperature gauge sender thread and resistance, etc. I don't have time right now to dig down through the parts sets and cross-reference them with my Canadian FPCs (which have P/Ns for North American domestic and RHD export models), but it's a fairly safe bet that this three-way parts split in AP5 wipers breaks down like this:

Very early production: 1963-style motor and arm attachment, left hand sweep

Early production: 1963-style motor and arm attachment, right hand sweep

Late production plus AP6 and VC: 1964-66 style motor and arm attachment, right hand sweep

(That's a neat link you posted, but why do they claim the pushbutton automatic was "unique" to the AP5? It wasn't! RV1 and SV1 Automatic Valiants had it, too...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:50 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
(That's a neat link you posted, but why do they claim the pushbutton automatic was "unique" to the AP5? It wasn't! RV1 and SV1 Automatic Valiants had it, too...)
I`ll field that one!

Sorry for the slight misinformation - I knew it was there but just hadn`t got around to recifying the page (wasn`t sure if too many people checked it out anyway) - you`ll notice that on the R & S Series spotlight page we refer to the pushbutton setup, so it was just a slip up. Have made a couple of changes to make it read correctly now.

Cheers for now
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:20 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Thanks for the links, Dan. Interesting reading and pics! I'd like to get hold of one of those 3700GTs too.

'65 Valiant V100 170/T-flite
'82 D150 225/4-speed
'65 Dart 225 4 door
'68 Dart 225 4-door with Valiant front clip (future project)