Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There is no water pump bearing problem when running a fan clutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Interesting notes on the depth issue with fan clutches. Anyone know how deep the MP clutch kit is? I'm stuck having to get a new fan anyway, since I found out one of the blades of my fixed fan is damn near broken off when I tore into the car yesterday.

Something else I realized is that my pulley has about a 1" spacer on the back of it to line up with the alternator belt so it'll drive the water pump, and my fixed fan is bolted right onto that. Unless I can find a shallower pulley so I can get rid of the spacer on the back, I might be SOL for anything BUT a fixed fan.

Any thoughts?

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Interesting notes on the depth issue with fan clutches. Anyone know how deep the MP clutch kit is?
Believe it's 3½".
Quote:
Something else I realized is that my pulley has about a 1" spacer on the back of it to line up with the alternator belt
The only spacers installed at the factory were in front of the water pump pulley, to move the fan closer to the rad core. If you have a spacer pushing your water pump pulley forward, there's definitely something screwy with your entire belt drive setup. The crank pulley would practically have to be falling off the front of the crank for that to work, and your alternator pulley would have to have a big extender behind it. Either that, or somebody installed an incorrect water pump pulley and shimmed it forward with the spacer to make it work with the untouched alternator and crank pulleys. Come to think of it, that seems like the more likely situation.

AFAIK there are two (and only two) slant-6 water pump pulleys: single-groove for use without A/C, and double-groove for use with A/C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting notes on the depth issue with fan clutches. Anyone know how deep the MP clutch kit is?
Believe it's 3½".
Quote:
Something else I realized is that my pulley has about a 1" spacer on the back of it to line up with the alternator belt
The only spacers installed at the factory were in front of the water pump pulley, to move the fan closer to the rad core. If you have a spacer pushing your water pump pulley forward, there's definitely something screwy with your entire belt drive setup. The crank pulley would practically have to be falling off the front of the crank for that to work, and your alternator pulley would have to have a big extender behind it. Either that, or somebody installed an incorrect water pump pulley and shimmed it forward with the spacer to make it work with the untouched alternator and crank pulleys. Come to think of it, that seems like the more likely situation.

AFAIK there are two (and only two) slant-6 water pump pulleys: single-groove for use without A/C, and double-groove for use with A/C.
Nope, I'm wrong. I went down to my garage and double checked. The spacer mounts on the front of the pulley. False alarm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:10 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Update. Went junk yard hunting today and couldn't find a single Mercedes fan clutch. I did find a '68 200 (which PartsAmerica shows as using the same P/N fan and clutch), but it used a fixed fan. It was a diesel though, so I wonder if that's why.

Looks like I'm still SOL for a fan for a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Jopapa,

I have checked junk yards for electric fans, they are all too deep. The ProComp 16" fan is the thinnest I have found and is what I am using. If you need another 1/4" just cut it off the shroud, they are plenty thick.

When the stock MOPAR clutch fan is bolted up it leaves about a 1/4", not alot but I ran it that way for 2 years before going to the PrComp fan.

I sent you a picture of the MOPAR clutch fan. It is sitting down stairs if you need more info.

I really like the electric fan set up. It doesn't kick on very often in this heat since I switched to a 180 super stat. The system info I sent you really works good! We went on a long trip and the system only kicked on once or twice at a stop from heat soaking. It think you may find my set up for under $100 very cost effective which uses a stock Bosch relay. Mileage went up to 25 mpg! :D :D :D

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Dart 270 w/ 66 Valiant front clip
Tried to install one on a '73 duster last weekend and realized the clutch was bad so I went to advance auto (first mistake) and bought a fan clutch and when we installed it guess what? It would not clear the radiator like the original would...cheap china junk.... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:30 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
on my 74 /6 pickup i used a radiator , clutched fan and shroud off of a late 70's plymouth van.worked well but there was lots of room in there.
on my 82 /6 pickup i used a clutched fan off of a 318 pickup,have not adapted a shroud for use on it.
thinking about using an electric fan off a mid-late 90's dodge truck,i picked one up last year.just have to go back and pull the sensor and stuff off of one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:10 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Jopapa,

I have checked junk yards for electric fans, they are all too deep. The ProComp 16" fan is the thinnest I have found and is what I am using. If you need another 1/4" just cut it off the shroud, they are plenty thick.

When the stock MOPAR clutch fan is bolted up it leaves about a 1/4", not alot but I ran it that way for 2 years before going to the PrComp fan.

I sent you a picture of the MOPAR clutch fan. It is sitting down stairs if you need more info.

I really like the electric fan set up. It doesn't kick on very often in this heat since I switched to a 180 super stat. The system info I sent you really works good! We went on a long trip and the system only kicked on once or twice at a stop from heat soaking. It think you may find my set up for under $100 very cost effective which uses a stock Bosch relay. Mileage went up to 25 mpg! :D :D :D
I measured and found I've got 4.25" clearance between the water pump pulley and the radiator (with the shaft on the water pump ground down). I'm running a fixed fan again because I had to get the car on the road ASAP last weekend, but once the alternator project is done, I'm going to go ahead with the electric fan project and use the DCC controller.

Since I'm running a 22" radiator now though, I'd like to try to find a fan that'll cover more area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:41 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
i picked my fan clutch and fan up at the mopar nats for $ 20 bucks :D

not exactly what its came off of, but im thinkin its got to be off a police car

works pretty good my car doesnt get hot when sitting in traffic vs. my old

set up of just a fixed 4 blade fan with no shroud

i have pictures if anyone is interested.