Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes, $27 and change, that will be a stock replacement, but those stock / replacement timing sets also typically go 100,000 + miles,,,
Performance or durability wise, what exactly does one get for the additional hundred dollars with a double roller?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Luckily I don't need any timing sets. Have 4 sets on hand.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I have a (not very) used factory BB double roller set (has the DPCD markings on them) and I stumbled on a NOS P part Mopar Perf cam gear on Ebay, for $34.
Then while looking around RA, I got a new (they showed only 1 left when I got mine) new Cloyes double roller crank gear, $24. and they have new roller chains (chains only--couple different choices) for ~$ mid teens. so for $16ish I bought one (Melling) that they listed as "heavy duty" not all of their chains said that. Dont remember if I found those in with teh /6 or the BB (440) listings. so for about $75 I have a whole new Cloyes/Mopar Perf double roller timing set for my /6.
My original plan was to try that (not very) used original Mopar BB lower gear and chain with the NOS Slant top gear......
But once I found the new lower gear and the new chain (old US made stock too!) for what seemed like a good deal, I went ahead and got that so I don't have to mix new + old parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:11 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Quote:
Yes, $27 and change, that will be a stock replacement, but those stock / replacement timing sets also typically go 100,000 + miles,,,
Performance or durability wise, what exactly does one get for the additional hundred dollars with a double roller?
This is a good question. I would guess that the only thing the extra $$$ delivers may be improved accuracy, as wear and tear might occur slower.

I am certainly vulnerable to the "stronger is better than weaker" type thinking, when I do not have enough information to know otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:43 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
PBM??
That was the brand that I installed in my truck last month and had so much slop in it??? Took it out and never used it.

The Auto Zone sets I got for $26 or $28 were Made in USA, No shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:01 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Very few double roller chains ever break. But, it's reasonable to operate under the assumption that a quality chain will stretch less and wear less. When a chain set wears, it's usually the gear teeth that lose metal, which winds up in your oil. A chain set that is machined a little better will wear a lot less.

Plus, we're not talking a big difference in price. If you save $75 by using a cheap set...so what? $75 pours through my fingers like sand.

If someone made a high quality link type chain...I'd consider using one. But the market hasn't driven anyone to do that.

As for life...is anyone really putting 100K+ on a Slant Six powered vehicle anymore? At my current rate, I'll hit 100K miles 45 years after I'm dead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:54 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
PBM??
That was the brand that I installed in my truck last month and had so much slop in it??? Took it out and never used it.

Rick,, isn't that the block that had the issue with the cam and crank being positionally too close, even though it was not line bored?

I am thinking that you finally found a gear - chain set that tolerance wise, matched closer to the condition on your block,, on a block with the crank and cam more to the
other end of the tolerance spread that specific timing set may be tight.
Quote:
As for life...is anyone really putting 100K+ on a Slant Six powered vehicle anymore? At my current rate, I'll hit 100K miles 45 years after I'm dead.
I have 45K miles on the slant in 83 D150 since its rebuild, if 2020 had not been such a stay at home year would have been over 50K by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:20 am 
Supercharged

Quote:
Very few double roller chains ever break. But, it's reasonable to operate under the assumption that a quality chain will stretch less and wear less. When a chain set wears, it's usually the gear teeth that lose metal, which winds up in your oil. A chain set that is machined a little better will wear a lot less.

Plus, we're not talking a big difference in price. If you save $75 by using a cheap set...so what? $75 pours through my fingers like sand.

If someone made a high quality link type chain...I'd consider using one. But the market hasn't driven anyone to do that.

As for life...is anyone really putting 100K+ on a Slant Six powered vehicle anymore
? At my current rate, I'll hit 100K miles 45 years after I'm dead.
I sure intend to with my truck!

I get what you're saying about saving a few bucks by going to a different brand, maybe cheaper quality that will be "good enough" as opposed to "overkill".
but with today's quality of most things what it is (no such thing as pride and craftsmanship anymore, parts coming off conveyors by the gazillions, reboxed by most brands nobody cares, nobody accepts fault or blame) I find myself as much as possible looking for "old stock" parts. most of my engine will be a collection of those. brand new parts made 30+ years ago.

BUT if I can find THE SAME part for $75..... same brand, same quality, etc as I am after, when somebody else wants $125 for the exact same thing, yeah those $50s start adding up. Look on Amazon or Feebay. you see what I am talking about all the time. If it is something that there is more than 1 of available I fail to get how seller A can sell something for $37.50 while seller B wants $200 for the same damn thing..... and Im not saying standard chain and gear set (using the example from the tread) for $37.50 and true roller heavy duty set for $200.... (numbers used are figurative "argument's sake", I have not actually gone out and looked lately) Im talking where you see a 1/2 dozen sellers around $150-200 for one, and maybe on page 3 of the search, another seller with exactly the same item for $37.50. Id have been PO'd to click on the 1st of a kind that I see and pay the $200, and then find out taht if I had done a little more looking Id have found teh one for less...... if I am in a hurry and need something *NOW* it might be different, I needed it and I needed it bad, at the time...... but in my case I (lucked out?) and got a brand new double roller set for a total of less than $80..... a quality set made when such things meant something. ive been screwed before, too, deals like this help make me not so PO'd when something goes the other way.....
and knowing that a double roller in my case is most likely overkill, means peace of mind that at least "that" component will probably never leave me on the side of the road.
for "not much more" than "will do"/ "make do" line of quality.
and on parts that I am pretty sure to need down the road I'm likely to "stock up" while I am at the honey hole, and the gettin is good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:55 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Rick,, isn't that the block that had the issue with the cam and crank being positionally too close, even though it was not line bored?
Yes it was. The new set from Auto Zone was much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I absolutely loathe new cars, so I fully intend to make my slant powered 76 D100 last as long as I am driving. I know that means adapting to alternate parts when normal sources dry up. I love driving and driving vacations, so I do hope to put over 100,000 miles on the slants I have. But who knows what the future will bring. I might have to swap to a Mr. Fusion unit and magnetic drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
PBM??

Sound like just an extreme case of tolerance stack up on that engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
OK- if anyone cares, the timing set I ordered arrived today. Yes, stanadard non-roller stock "silent" type chain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:02 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Quote:
OK- if anyone cares, the timing set I ordered arrived today. Yes, stanadard non-roller stock "silent" type chain.
Yes. Thanks for reporting back.

Now I have to decide between a stock style "silent" and the 3X more expensive Rollmaster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:09 pm 
Supercharged

Quote:
There's another option out there for a roller chain that shouldn't have the same fit challenges as the Rollmaster & JP ones. Elgin makes "Premium" components that can be combined to assemble a complete set.

Here are the Elgin parts you'll need...
  • S-338 Cam sprocket
    S-339 Crank sprocket
    TC-168 Roller chain

These may be the same components for Cloyes roller chain... not sure.

I can't vouch for the set yet, but mine is due tomorrow. I'll be installing this on my long-rod rebuild and will comment back here once the car's on the road this spring. Just wanted to share...

I'd love to hear from anyone who installed this set!
sounds like same numbers I have on my (combo of) Cloyes and Melling timing components. They could all be made by 1 company, then reboxed and labeled as their own. Not sure on that one. I have a Mopar Perf (made by Cloyes) cam sprocket, a Cloyes crank sprocket and a Melling chain. will be installing these parts as soon as my block crank and cam find their way back home.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:12 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
Quote:
For the record, is it also the dreaded three narrow spokes cam sprocket?